Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
west indians were actually quite numerous in NYC in the early 1900s but yeah i agree with your point.

Miami didn't have the mix NYC had (deindustrilization, cuts in the school arts and music programs, ethnic mix, etc). i know what you're getting at. you are picking the only other city with a substantial West Indian population.

btw Uncle Luke is West Indian
You didn't answer, but I will answer it AGAIN! It was Disco. You don't see the coincidence of disco coming from NYC, disco was about the DJ, and his sound and system. Disco was about dancing, and having different dance moves. Disco was about the mc sounding like a radio DJ. All of these things is what made hip hop what it became, just an extension with more rapping, more about DJ techniques, and more about the dancing. How can you not see this?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
What do you mean by "numerous"?
As in there was a large wave of British West Indians in Harlem from 1900s-1930s that assimilated into the greater African American population. There's a lot of AA New Yorkers whose grandparents are from Barbados, Antigua or the Virgin Islands etc.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Funk, R&B, Reggae, scat singing etc.
I never heard the founders say they were influenced by reggae,or scatting. They all said the influence were radio DJs, James Brown, disco(the sound systems, and music), and funk jazz music. I'm not talking about the people who came after kool herc but the people who he imitated.

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
You didn't answer, but I will answer it AGAIN! It was Disco. You don't see the coincidence of disco coming from NYC, disco was about the DJ, and his sound and system. Disco was about dancing, and having different dance moves. Disco was about the mc sounding like a radio DJ. All of these things is what made hip hop what it became, just an extension with more rapping, more about DJ techniques, and more about the dancing. How can you not see this?
Why didn't hip hop start in Chicago or Detroit or DC or any other cities then? Unless you are arguing that disco was only popular in NYC

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
As in there was a large wave of British West Indians in Harlem from 1900s-1930s that assimilated into the greater African American population. There's a lot of AA New Yorkers whose grandparents are from Barbados, Antigua or the Virgin Islands etc.

I understand that and I acknowledge that. But what I'm saying is that they weren't here in great numbers during the Great Migration of African Americans from the south.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why didn't hip hop start in Chicago or Detroit or DC or any other cities then? Unless you are arguing that disco was only popular in NYC
Disco came from NYC, right before hip hop started, but for some it was around the same time. Do you know how big disco wasin nyc before!going worldwide?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I understand that and I acknowledge that. But what I'm saying is that they weren't here in great numbers during the Great Migration of African Americans from the south.
well that got absorbed. its still something interesting and something thats overlooked. like in Miami, a quarter of the black population in the early 1900s were Bahamians. don't you wonder why West Indians overwhelming went to NYC and not someplace warmer? its because of jobs and the previous wave having gone there

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:pachaha: You answered your own question with those quotes.

1. Lupita is an African woman, not a black woman.
2. I was referring to her fanbase with the word crispy, not her personally.
3. I was defending a black woman from a white woman worshipper. I was uplifting a black woman right there.
4. Oh one girl is suppose to be women now? Where are the other girls? Also shes a black american woman whether you like it or not.

:mindblown:

Stop lying your ass off, it's obvious from your posts that you don't like dark people.

emoney

custom user title
Daps
my oldest son is afro cuban.
i don't believe hes a c00n..... he's actually very pro black.

Cubans are racist but not more than americakans. And most black Cubans know they are african. Cuba is were many black Revolutionaries reside because of their Treatment in America.

I think it had more to do with the fact that Cuba and America were at odds with each other during the Cold War. When US-Cuban relations improve in the future...I don't think Black American Revolutionaries are gonna be able to use the island as a refuge anymore.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Disco came from NYC, right before hip hop started, but for some it was around the same time. Do you know how big disco wasin nyc before!going worldwide?
so you are claiming that disco was only popular in New York and blacks in other cities were not listening to it

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so you are claiming that disco was only popular in New York and blacks in other cities were not listening to it
No they weren't.

I'm not talking about the disco that was associated with gays, I'm talking about the disco that didn't have a name. It was called Disco when it became popular. Disco was an older people thing. Meaning you had to get dressed up, go to a club, and pay money to get in the party. This form of disco helped create hip hop.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Black is a western concept based on race. In Africa they go by tribes, and do not refer to each other as black.

Still waiting on the receipts of these black women I've shytted on. Also waiting on these bi-racial women I uplift.

This is bullshyt. They call themselves/others black and have been using the term since at latest the 19th century. Black people are legally black (official census data) in African nations.