Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there was white flight and black middle class flight in other cities too. and most of the AA migration to NYC was before the 70s
OK, now answer my question.

Why didn't hip hop come to Miami until the early 80's if west Indians played such a huge part. In fact rap music became popular in the late 80's there. Before that it was about electronic dance music or as they call it booty music. The environment was, and still is, the same as NYC.

I know the answer, and even told you, but I want to see what your answer is.

BTW, the mass migration was in the late 60's, right when hip hop and disco started. I can make the same connection you are making.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
so why didn't hip hop start in the south

This is a loaded question, but for the sake of discussion, let's rock with it. When Blacks were migrating from the south, there were next to no Caribbean's in the United States (A very small percentage of Jamaicans). And the Caribbean's who were here in the country at the time were comprised mainly of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (Also a very small population). The time when African Americans were migrating from south into cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, NYC etc was known as the Great Migration that people put between 1910-1970. During that time, African Americans in the south already had Jazz, Bluegrass, gospel, etc. and It wasn't until the Great Migration that Blacks in various cities started to form their own cultural movements. Detroit had soul music. Chicago had the Black renaissance, and of course you had the Harlem Renaissance. One of the biggest voices of the Harlem Renaissance was Arthur A Schomburg; a black Puerto Rican. He has his own museum named after him in Harlem.

In alot of ways, the south was the genesis of these cultural movements and as people moved abroad into their own individual cities, various cultural movements started popping up on their own. Each movement drawing from it's origins which laid in the south.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
And you're a fool.

Jamaicans started hip hop? Disco came from salsa? please be quiet. I might have to ban yo ass from listening to our music FRFR
I'm responding to your simplemindedness with the same stupidity.

I grew up with african Americans. They and trini folks are the most welcoming people I've ever met and brought me and my Fam into their homes. And I'm not black now?

You're a clown.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a loaded question, but for the sake of discussion, let's rock with it. When Blacks were migrating from the south, there were next to no Caribbean's in the United States (A very small percentage of Jamaicans). And the Caribbean's who were here in the country at the time were comprised mainly of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (Also a very small population). The time when African Americans were migrating from south into cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, NYC etc was known as the Great Migration that people put between 1910-1970. During that time, African Americans in the south already had Jazz, Bluegrass, gospel, etc. and It wasn't until the Great Migration that Blacks in various cities started to form their own cultural movements. Detroit had soul music. Chicago had the Black renaissance, and of course you had the Harlem Renaissance. One of the biggest voices of the Harlem Renaissance was Arthur A Schomburg; a black Puerto Rican. He has his own museum named after him in Harlem.

In alot of ways, the south was the genesis of these cultural movements and as people moved abroad into their own individual cities, various cultural movements started popping up on their own. Each movement drawing from it's origins which laid in the south.
I agree with all of this but, as far as hip hop, it came from Disco. Why do people keep ignoring this, even though all the signs are right in your face, idk?

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
1.) no, people were saying biracials arent black; which they arent.
2.) who cares what malcolm X brought, we not talking about malcolm x.
3.) nope, too late to run with the tariq defense. lupita isnt ashy and her skin texture appears near flawless. if its not about skin color, why'd you call @ModernFonzie a burnt crispy nikka? :mjpls: you cant be an unaccountable bytch forever
I'm not even a midnight boy :why:

Could yall Brehs stop tagging me :birdman:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
This is a loaded question, but for the sake of discussion, let's rock with it. When Blacks were migrating from the south, there were next to no Caribbean's in the United States (A very small percentage of Jamaicans). And the Caribbean's who were here in the country at the time were comprised mainly of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (Also a very small population). The time when African Americans were migrating from south into cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit etc was known as the Great Migration that people put between 1910-1970. During that time, African Americans in the south already had Jazz, Bluegrass, gospel, etc. and It wasn't until the Great Migration that Blacks in various cities started to form their own cultural movements. Detroit had soul music. Chicago had the Black renaissance, and of course you had the Harlem Renaissance. One of the biggest voices of the Harlem Renaissance was Arthur A Schomburg; a black Puerto Rican. He has his own museum named after him in Harlem.

west indians were actually quite numerous in NYC in the early 1900s but yeah i agree with your point.
OK, now answer my question.

Why didn't hip hop come to Miami until the early 80's if west Indians played such a huge part. In fact rap music became popular in the late 80's there. Before that it was about electronic dance music or as they call it booty music. The environment was, and still is, the same as NYC.

I know the answer, and even told you, but I want to see what your answer is.
Miami didn't have the mix NYC had (deindustrilization, cuts in the school arts and music programs, ethnic mix, etc). i know what you're getting at. you are picking the only other city with a substantial West Indian population.

btw Uncle Luke is West Indian

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
I agree with all of this but, as far as hip hop, it came from Disco. Why do people keep ignoring this, even though all the signs are right in your face, idk?

It wasn't solely disco though.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
west indians were actually quite numerous in NYC in the early 1900s but yeah i agree with your point.

What do you mean by "numerous"?

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
I'm responding to your simplemindedness with the same stupidity.

I grew up with african Americans. They and trini folks are the most welcoming people I've ever met and brought me and my Fam into their homes. And I'm not black now?

You're a clown.

You're black you idiot lol Just not african american. So crediting other people for our culture means nothing to you.