Larenz Tate: "Hollywood Finds More Value In Black British Actors; Theres a Decline In Black American Actors Getting Work!"

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The usual suspects absolutely refuse to understand this. The UK has their kids doing the arts from age 5, acting in particular(much less focus on music) at every level, all through university and even after. Literature, the classics, poetry, voice and accent coaching, you name it. That produces results. The US has been systematically killing the arts in schools since the 80s. Off Broadway plays struggle to find funding.

It's the same thing that has students coming here and pretty much breezing through college for the first 1-2 years, from the Caribbean to West Africa to India to the damned Hong Kong Chinese. That British system of education is not to be underestimated. Everything from Form 4 through Form 6 is a different beast entirely, and nobody's handing out gold stars for the minimum.

Not everything is some conspiracy. You're going to want to get out of your own head and learn.
Exactly. There's no nuance or understanding, just reactionary bullshyt. Denzel was classically trained in New York. So was every noteworthy, great black actor that came before him. Sidney, James Earl Jones...they all came up doing actual acting shyt. I'm not saying that has completely disappeared...I mentioned Jonathan Majors earlier. Who, legal issues aside, is a really good actor. I'm sure there are others who don't come to mind, and more will graduate and enter films/television. But the amount of British talent being pumped into the US is next level right now.

Then you gotta consider the price difference. American networks make way more money than British networks. Think about the white actors who have come over here and won MAJOR roles in film and television. Dan Stevens, Damian Lewis, Hugh Laurie, Matt Smith. Hell you could pull up the cast of Doctor Who and fill out an entire list of British actors over here making bank over the last two decades. It's not like Idris Elba is the only Brit who was on BBC shows who came over here. It's an army...and most of them are white.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Real Black actors have the same training.
They come from the top schools or went to the performance art schools in thier cities

too many american black actors are untrained, achieve their fame in another field first, and then move to acting.

british breh actors are to a man, professionally trained with history treading the boards.

it's the same with gringo actors too.

they are still dragging patrick stewart out (in his dotage) for that very reason.

greatest actors ever (according to hollywood) are names like:

charlie chaplain (british), al pacino, robert deniro, cary grant (british), marlon brando, peter ustinov (british), lawrence olivier (british), daniel day lewis (british), anthony hopkins (british), charles laughton (british).

isn't daniel day lewis considered the best of all time?

RehReh

KasGoinJail 💀
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Why don't they stay in their countries and fight for inclusion in the industry the way we did in our home country? Genuine question. Nothing is ever handed to you. You gotta do the work like we did.
Because they are delusional and think there is some kind of Black Alliance overseas.

:mjpls:

* imagine if we treated Paul Robeson or Adelaide Hall this way when they came to the UK in the 1940's/50's 🤔

Last edited:

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Real Black actors have the same training.
They come from the top schools or went to the performance art schools in thier cities

But it’s a different gravy in the UK since they start from very young. There are acting schools for kids & young adults in almost every borough in London for example (my borough for example has 2). And they do classical acting, theatre & all sorts.

Not saying black British actors are better but you’d agree with me that, someone who started taking acting classes from like age 7 would have more fluidity than, say, someone who started at 19, no?

Hollywood is also the capital of movies in Anglosphere & that includes all English speaking countries. So, it’s just natural for someone from the UK to seek opportunities there since there are limited opportunities in the UK. And it’s even worse as a black actor in the UK due to institutionalised racism. And the UK is also one of the biggest consumers of Hollywood movies.

Also, a lot of the white actors in Hollywood are British. So it’s not just the black ones.

Hollywood is like the NBA for basketball or English Premier League and Spanish League for football (soccer) & it’s normal for the best talents to seek opportunities there.

Anyway, I hope things work out amicably where all parties can eat. There’s enough food for everyone to eat. But I’d say the only thing I think they’re doing wrong is letting black Brits play AA heroes.

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Brits are better trained on average

Jonathan Majors really fukked up breh had next
I mean I get it
In America to go to theater school and make money in acting is a process you have to really love acting to go down that pipeline

I don't see most american black people really gravitating towards that vs music nowadays

Black brits got it on easy mode because the UK is the exact opposite when it comes to the arts

When you include the pay disparity in the UK vs the US you begin to see why studios and networks always hire british performers
they are better trained and they cost less to cast

Its not even really a race issue imo it just affects black people more because we are such a small segment of Hollywood