Larenz Tate: "Hollywood Finds More Value In Black British Actors; Theres a Decline In Black American Actors Getting Work!"

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
Will Smith is imo partly to blame for the squeezing out of trained black American actors.

You had rappers acting before Will(Ice-T, Cube, LLCJ, etc) but Will took it and ran up the mountain in comparison, eventually becoming a Hollywood superstar.

Now tons of rappers/singers are moving into acting as a legit career path, and studios are happy to take them, as they've got built in marketability from their musical fanbases.

Which shrinks the role pool that actual acting ass actors can pull from.

Which then makes the pressure from the UK actors even worse, as they're probably cheaper to get and possibly just as trained.

It's the rappers fault. And thus Will's too.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
:manny:

I honestly don’t think the black British actors are any better than their American counterparts.

The average viewer can’t tell who’s trained or who isn’t, let’s be honest :mjlol:

They’re much cheaper is my biggest guess. Although I would’ve thought domestic talent would be cheaper than exporting them.

They will glady move to L.A. themselves to get away from the shyt weather. Don't got to pay em to move out here

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Y’all are still pushing this LIE?:mjlol:

Hollywood doesn’t care about great acting on a wide spectrum :mjlol:

They are trying to MAKE MONEY first and foremost and do it as cost effective as possible. Marketability COMES FIRST.

That’s why in most shows or movies there are supporting actors who are better than the lead actor. The only reason why they are supporting is because they are not deemed marketable to be the lead of a lead. The only trump to this is having connections.

You realize this has nothing to do with my point right. TV money isn't crazy unless you're on a huge show or a popular actor. The British actors are not demanding more money; American television already pays more than the BBC so it's a win regardless. Whether we're talking about new/young actors on television or more established film actors, the issue is the auditioning process. Less trained, less professional American actors are walking into auditions against classically trained British actors and getting smoked. THAT is the issue. Pay isn't the problem, they're all being paid within the same ballpark.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The British actors are not demanding more money;

And that’s why Hollywood prefers them.

They are CHEAPER and will take less than an American actor.

It’s got nothing to do with “acting” or being “classically trained” like you stated:mjlol:

In 95% of Hollywood productions you do not need to do any sort of great or even good acting. It simply needs to be passable.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s pretty evident that a lot are better trained and you can see it in the acting. Especially for the younger actors. The older black actors both domestic and foreign are more even keeled. The younger generation without a question is being washed. You’d be hard pressed to point out a young black American actor right now that could go toe to toe with Damson Idris or John Boyega acting wise.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
"Pan Africanism" when it benefits, "yall" when it comes to deflecting

I’m not a Pan Africanist, breh. I only believe in black consciousness.

That said, when you practise cultural domination - these things are bound to happen. And you can’t benefit financially from cultural domination & decide to hold the hands of those you benefitted from financially - from eating. Life doesn’t work that way.

BTW, there was a time when American gangster rappers with violent lyrics were allowed to do concerts & make money here freely but UK rappers of the same ilk weren’t given the same privileges in the same country.

Such is life. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. And there’s food for everyone to eat.

Also, stop worrying about frivolities - the world is a big place.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
majors as Kang in both Loki and Antman was just insane, he killed both variants of that character. I was looking forward to seeing how far he would go. Just sad
I honestly think they in too deep with him and gonna have to ride it out. Atleast I hope, I can’t see anyone else being kang now

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
And that’s why Hollywood prefers them.

They are CHEAPER and will take less than an American actor.

It’s got nothing to do with “acting” or being “classically trained” like you stated:mjlol:

In 95% of Hollywood productions you do not need to do any sort of great or even good acting. It simply needs to be passable.
Yeah u can basically some up "Black"/"white" British actors as the Mexicans of Film and entertainment

They not better or better working

Just cheap

And if you know how greedy businesses are in America to cut spending

That's more than anything the numero uno reason

Emperor Palpatine

You can Google it. It’s in their dna
Oh wow 1 example, what a convincing argument u made

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
It’s pretty evident that a lot are better trained and you can see it in the acting. Especially for the younger actors. The older black actors both domestic and foreign are more even keeled. The younger generation without a question is being washed. You’d be hard pressed to point out a young black American actor right now that could go toe to toe with Damson Idris or John Boyega acting wise.
Kelvin Harrison Jr. and Jeremy Pope are killing it rn.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why are you failing to mention that those shows are not written to really display someone’s acting prowess according to ivory tower standards? And I see how you reduced Omari Hardwick to some dumb black jock. Y’all ain’t slick.

Yeah,I dont think Omari Hardwick is a good example. But maybe hes only seen him in things that arent meant to show acting prowess like you said. Because I dont think Idris is in some whole other stratosphere from Omari from what Ive seen from them both. If theres a bias because one went to a british theatre school,and brits are percieved to automatically be better actors. Thats unfair to Omari,because your assuming british acting schools are Harvard. And just because Idris went to one,that he must be better than Omari. This is a bias

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Y’all are still pushing this LIE?:mjlol:

Hollywood doesn’t care about great acting on a wide spectrum :mjlol:

They are trying to MAKE MONEY first and foremost and do it as cost effective as possible. Marketability COMES FIRST.

That’s why in most shows or movies there are supporting actors who are better than the lead actor. The only reason why they are supporting is because they are not deemed marketable to be the lead of a lead. The only trump to this is having connections.

Bingo,but this is a problem.

Black americans are hired for marketability. But brits are hired for their pure acting ability. So then it looks like black american actors cant act as good as Brits on average. When in reality you arent seeing the best black american actors by in large,your seeing the most marketable. So this does hurt the perception of black american actors. Because you see alot of trash to average,with a few diamonds in the ruff. Meanwhile damn near every Brit killing it. But they arent cast for the same reasons.

We also have to take some blame. They are saying they dont think we respect acting. We would rather see our favorite rappers,influencers,instagram models or instagram comedians on a show. Then the best actors possible.

Are they wrong is the question:francis:? Like somebody said,most of our shows arent written or directed to have great acting performances.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Bingo,but this is a problem.

Black americans are hired for marketability. But brits are hired for their pure acting ability. So then it looks like black american actors cant act as good as Brits on average. When in reality you arent seeing the best black american actors by in large,your seeing the most marketable. So this does hurt the perception of black american actors. Because you see alot of trash to average,with a few diamonds in the ruff. Meanwhile damn near every Brit killing it. But they arent cast for the same reasons.

We also have to take some blame. They are saying they dont think we respect acting. We would rather see our favorite rappers,influencers,instagram models or instagram comedians on a show. Then the best actors possible.

Are they wrong is the question:francis:? Like somebody said,most of our shows arent written or directed to have great acting performances.
BMF comes to mind. :mjlol: