Larenz Tate: "Hollywood Finds More Value In Black British Actors; Theres a Decline In Black American Actors Getting Work!"

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
But it’s a different gravy in the UK since they start from very young. There are acting schools for kids & young adults in almost every borough in London for example (my borough for example has 2). And they do classical acting, theatre & all sorts.

Not saying black British actors are better but you’d agree with me that, someone who started taking acting classes from like age 7 would have more fluidity than, say, someone who started at 19, no?

Hollywood is also the capital of movies in Anglosphere & that includes all English speaking countries. So, it’s just natural for someone from the UK to seek opportunities there since there are limited opportunities in the UK. And it’s even worse as a black actor in the UK due to institutionalised racism. And the UK is also one of the biggest consumers of Hollywood movies.

Also, a lot of the white actors in Hollywood are British. So it’s not just the black ones.

Hollywood is like the NBA for basketball or English Premier League and Spanish League for football (soccer) & it’s normal for the best talents to seek opportunities there.

Anyway, I hope things work out amicably where all parties can eat. There’s enough food for everyone to eat. But I’d say the only thing I think they’re doing wrong is letting black Brits play AA heroes.

If you do research most of the popular black actors and actress typically went to a preforming arts school. They have training they get passed over based on stereotypes

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, Twitter has been awash with tweets from Americans in the past 10days that Damson Idris deserves an Emmy for the last episode of Snowfall. Some even went as far as saying he should take all Jonathan Mayors’ gigs & also be the next Black Panther. Shyt, I saw Tweets from Americans saying he’s the heir to Denzel Washington’s throne.

These are Americans - not Brits. And you can search his name on Twitter to see the Tweets (he was trending on Twitter for a few days as well).

And the same thing happened to Daniel Kaluuya & Eric (Lamar character in BMF).

Just some of the fruits, breh.

You lost me at twitter and Daniel Kaluuya overrated and bland as fukk. As bad as BMF can be at times, the brother who played Lamar did his thing. You really got one or two shining stars in the last 60 years with all that superior talent y’all got, while black Americans have shaped fashion, music, art and cinema for the last half century easily. Y’all on the metric system and all but the math ain’t making sense over here.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
Heir to Denzels throne? Honestly damson wasn't the best black actor on snowfall. And I would bet the reason he was chosen to take over majors roles in case something happens is because they are in the same age range.

I didn’t make the statement - Americans did on Twitter. Shyt, Americans on Twitter had a hashtag last week saying he has to win an Emmy.

I’m yet to even watch the episode (planning to watch it this weekend when I’m free). And Snowfall isn’t popular in the UK compared to, say, Power.

You can search his name on Twitter to see the Tweets. And I only mentioned it cos the other breh was asking for ‘fruits’.

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
Hollywood in general does not fukk with American actors.
This thread should have never gone past page 2 honestly. This is a purely on Hollywood, if the actor is British regardless of race 9/10 they are going with the British actor

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What material proof that British blacks are more talented at playing American blacks than actual American blacks? And this ain’t no diss, but y’all keep talking about the arts(music, film, comedy, etc) are taken more seriously over there than the states right?

If that is the case, what fruit have y’all produced in the last 60 years that have impacted the WORLD like a Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Harry Belafonte(island brother technically but still) Prince, Michael Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx, Sidney Poitier, Fishburne, PAC, Wu, James Earl Jones, Pryor, Chadwick Bozeman, Ye, etc. etc.

Surely all that superior British acting talent would have been imported and resulted in some legendary US movies, TV of the last half century right? Cause Hollywood all about that bread at the end of the day. And if you’re talking about the arts, surely that includes music. Where are the legendary black British vocalists/performers? And like I said, this ain’t no diss by any means
We are talking about actors why are you bringing up musicians? Lol

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
British actors (black and white) typically have more experience and better training than American actors. Don’t know if it’s true, but It was pointed out in an article that we overvalue superficial things like looks at the expense of skills in the U.S.

We need to bring back the arts in school and community theaters where actors can receive training and experience.
It's true.

Watch UK TV n then look at American TV. American stars look magazine cover ready while a bunch of UK actors look like the people delivering the magazines.

We do models, they do actual people.

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
If you do research most of the popular black actors and actress typically went to a preforming arts school. They have training they get passed over based on stereotypes

I know they did & the average black British actor modelled their careers after African American Hollywood legends like Denzel, Jamie Foxx, Sidney Poitier, etc.

However, they’re also trying to eat due to the lack of opportunities in the UK. So, there’s no point trying to hold their hands. Everyone can eat & bridge the gap.

Funnily enough, I’ve a friend that was born in NYC but raised in London (they moved to London when he was a baby). He attended the same acting school as John Boyega, Damson Idris & Eric (Lamar from BMF). And while they all went to the US & became stars - he stayed in the UK doing British soaps. They’re way ahead of him in life now. That’s the type of opportunity Hollywood provides.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The real problem is that British actors are classically trained at the top acting schools in the world, and the modern young American actors aren't. Spider-Man, arguably the quintessential American superhero, is played by a British dude. Batman, another quintessential American character, is also played by a British dude.

Brehs can complain and make it a race issue when the reality is these British actors are walking into auditions and blowing Americans out the water. Flip side you know of an African American actor who was classically trained in the US, is great, and has had massive success? Yup...Jonathan Majors lol. That's the path more black Americans need to take, versus the current lane of untrained or half trained brehs getting TV jobs because they're handsome and fading out after a few years.
This. Majors is classically trained and he was getting praised since The Last Black Man in San Francisco. Sky was the limit for him until the domestic assault situation.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
We are talking about actors why are you bringing up musicians? Lol

The “arts” don’t include music? cats in here yelling Brits are more trained in the “arts,” trying to make it more than what it is. If Black brits are truly better movie actors than American blacks, it shouldn’t be hard to pull up the resume that validates it

Last edited:

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
I watched Snowfall. They’re more talented as whole. I’m saying that as a proud Black American. There’s other examples too.

16820090912802.jpg

I don’t know how they’re training these nikkas in those British acting schools, but their work speaks for itself. That being said, my favorite actors/actresses are Black American.
Well yes they are more talented its because they actually go to school for acting

Bonk

God’s Son
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
In Da 15th
You lost me at twitter and Daniel Kaluuya overrated and bland as fukk. As bad as BMF can be at times, the brother who played Lamar did his thing. You really got one or two shining stars in the last 60 years with all that superior talent y’all got, while black Americans have shaped fashion, music, art and cinema for the last half century easily. Y’all on the metric system and all but the math ain’t making sense over here.

Breh, I just posted what Americans are saying cos you asked. No one is trying to do a dikk waving contest with you - that’s gay.

About your other point: that’s the cultural domination via soft power I was alluding to. And you benefitted from it financially & with influence. So, why are you mad that the people that contributed to the financial benefits are also trying to eat from the same table?

If you can take the gift - you should be willing to take the curse. That’s how life works.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Breh, I just posted what Americans are saying cos you asked. No one is trying to do a dikk waving contest with you - that’s gay.

About your other point: that’s the cultural domination via soft power I was alluding to. And you benefitted from it financially & with influence. So, why are you mad that the people that contributed to the financial benefits are also trying to eat from the same table?

If you can take the gift - you should be willing to take the curse. That’s how life works.
"Pan Africanism" when it benefits, "yall" when it comes to deflecting