Kojima shyts on American gamers for not appreciating his new game "Death Stranding"

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If a game doesn't interest you that's fine. But people start looking weird when they feel like they have to be in every conversation about the game trying to convince everyone who are enjoying it that they're wrong for enjoying it.
Nobody is wrong for enjoying it. The people that are wrong are the ones that say in a review the game is boring and they like it. There's a lot to like here but this clearly wasn't a game for everyone. It's probably not even for the masses.

There's a rather large segment of the gaming populace that will defend whatever a developer they like makes though.

If say Cliffy B put out this game I bet the same people praising it would either not care or dedicate all over it. He for example put out Lawbreakers and the people that played it seemed to like it but the masses ignored it and it ended up dying.

Certain developers are just that loved though that even if they put out trash it would get praise initially. Like Metal Gear Solid 4 people praised it when it came out but years later the masses crap all over it. I loved MGS4 but I'll never play the game again and I knew that when I finished it. I knew it was a game that I personally liked but it's not what I'd call a textbook good game. Much of the gameplay falls apart after Act 2 for example. Act 3 was terrible.

I'm willing to bet 5 or so years from now many people praising this game now will turn on it and rank it in the bottom of Kojima's catalog.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I have no idea whether or not this game is any good, haven't played it. I thought it looked boring as fukk but again, not having played it....no idea how good it actually is.

Having said that....I been into games since the Atari 2600 and a lot of the reviews for this game don't match the scores it's being given. I've seen this happen a few times, especially in the days of Gamefan or EGM....but there's never been such a stark contrast between the review and the score.

shyt will be like "story is convoluted....doesn't get fun until 75% of the way through....we give it a 9.5".

It seems as if some people preemptively gave it a good score because they expected Kojima to react like this. And well....here we are.

Fred.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Kojima is just another Itagaki, all ego and noise.
At least Itagaki could deliver excellent game play though

MaccabeanRebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The outer limits
I gave up on mgsv but for some reason I'm addicted to this. I dont know what it is but I think that kojima is a genius for how he built the gameplay loop to incentivize working together and likes...it plays with the lore of the world where people are addicted to oxytocin and everything is isolated.

You either give this game a chance or you hate it. I'm over here reading emails and interviews ingame and the amount of lore building is crazy.

People need to be a little more open minded...but I see how people wouldn't like it. The menus are confusing and it takes time to feel efficient. Most gamers these days game for immediate gratification...me included, so I see where kojima is coming from