🌕 Killers Of The Flower Moon’ 🌕-- Martin Scorsese, Leonardo DiCaprio & Robert De Niro (Discussion Thread)

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
When this movie ended I remember looking at my homeboy and said, “If I was a Native American and watched this. This would piss me the fukk off.”

I understood this was a passion project for Scorsese and he wanted the story to be told. But this was told through the white people’s POV and almost tried to make us sympathize with them.

Not trying to take away from the film itself because it was really well made. Leo and De Niro killed their roles and I’m sure they gonna get Oscar nods. Same with Lily Gladstone, she is for sure gonna get an Oscar nod as well.

But I don’t think I will ever watch this film again because for starters it’s too damn long. And because I had a bitter taste in my mouth that was similar to the feeling I had after watching “Judas And The Black Messiah,” “Fruitvale Station,” “Rosewood,” etc..

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
When this movie ended I remember looking at my homeboy and said, “If I was a Native American and watched this. This would piss me the fukk off.”

I understood this was a passion project for Scorsese and he wanted the story to be told. But this was told through the white people’s POV and almost tried to make us sympathize with them.

Not trying to take away from the film itself because it was really well made. Leo and De Niro killed their roles and I’m sure they gonna get Oscar nods. Same with Lily Gladstone, she is for sure gonna get an Oscar nod as well.

But I don’t think I will ever watch this film again because for starters it’s too damn long. And because I had a bitter taste in my mouth that was similar to the feeling I had after watching “Judas And The Black Messiah,” “Fruitvale Station,” “Rosewood,” etc..

In what universe did this movie make you want to sympathize with white people?

It depicted the evil nature....

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps

Yeah I'm gonna hard pass on this if its anything like Rosewood

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
In what universe did this movie make you want to sympathize with white people?

It depicted the evil nature....
Maybe I worded it wrong. But it felt like they were trying to make you feel bad for Leo’s character even thought you knew he was a piece of shyt just like his uncle. Maybe it was just me..

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
The story is more focused on DiCaprios character arc rather than the true effect on the native Americans. The wife is either mourning a dead sister or drugged out zombie. Ultimately a bloated overwrought Scorsese/dicaprio vanity piece. The only positive is that it gives light to this atrocity.

I always thought that was a Scorsese trademark. We follow the POV from the scumbag loser character.
There are exceptions like Hugo and Silence
This is what i meant..

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Maybe I worded it wrong. But it felt like they were trying to make you feel bad for Leo’s character even thought you knew he was a piece of shyt just like his uncle. Maybe it was just me..

I don't think so. He was more of a bumbling idiot but that doesn't make me feel sympathy. You can't show him as calculating because he wasn't

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
In Ernest's first scene with Hale he lets the audience his entire motivation. He loves women, but he loves money just as much. It holds true throughout the entire movie. It's why he starts a family with Mollie, learns Osage, and cares for Mollie even though he's helping to slowly kill her and her entire family.

It's also why he drinks the poison by Mollie's bedside during that beautifully filmed sequence when Hale burns his ranch during the ground. So when Mollie asks him at the end what medicine he was giving her, he lies and you know for sure that he's evil.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I think it captured the duplicitous nature of colonizers perfectly and the lengths that they will go to steal from indigenous people. It did make the Osage look like helpless victims though which was uncomfortable to watch in 2023 given Hollywood’s treatment of POC, but the reality is they were victimized and helpless because Law enforcement in the state of Oklahoma was allied with their enemies. It’s really No different than when the KKK had free reign to terrorize black people in the Jim Crow era.

I would have liked to see a character who was more forceful in warning about the dangers of wenching and trusting white men in general and King in particular. They tried with the old lady, but her character wasn’t forceful enough. What we could have used is a native Dr Umar character. :heh:

White supremacy is crazy in that these women rejected their own men in favor of the the worst of the worst bottom of the barrel hillbillies. White people should have never been allowed to set up shop in Osage territory.

Edit: Ask and you shall receive :heh:

Last edited:

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
I think it captured the duplicitous nature of colonizers perfectly and the lengths that they will go to steal from indigenous people. It did make the Osage look like helpless victims though which was uncomfortable to watch in 2023 given Hollywood’s treatment of POC, but the reality is they were victimized and helpless because Law enforcement in the state of Oklahoma was allied with their enemies. It’s really No different than when the KKK had free reign to terrorize black people in the Jim Crow era.

I would have liked to see a character who was more forceful in warning about the dangers of wenching and trusting white men in general and King in particular. They tried with the old lady, but her character wasn’t forceful enough. What we could have used is a native Dr Umar character. :heh:

White supremacy is crazy in that these women rejected their own men in favor of the the worst of the worst bottom of the barrel hillbillies. White people should have never been allowed to set up shop in Osage territory.

:francis:That scene with the mama overlooking what was coming still stuck with me

Having slept on it.

This tops The Departed for me.

And I can honestly see this being shown in a lot of history classes in high schools that ain’t Oklahoma ironically.