Kevin Garnett top 20 player of all time?

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
shyt at worst he is top 3 PF of all time, I personally got him 2nd, but that's just me. He is one of the best players on both sides when he is playing basketball, both on the offensive and defensive end. At worst, he is top 25.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Dirk is a one trick pony

leading his team to 50+ wins for 10 straight seasons

26.8 ppg playoff average

1 time nba mvp

led team to 2 nba finals

finals mvp

is a one trick pony? gtfo

220px-DirkNowitzki.jpg

dont ever disrespect da gawd like that again fakkit

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps

26.8 ppg playoff average

1 time nba mvp

led team to 2 nba finals

finals mvp

220px-DirkNowitzki.jpg

He was a one trick pony earlier in his career. After 07 he added the post up, face up etc. He didn't have those moves before then. Players 6'7 used to be able to stop him. McGrady, Bowen, Stephen Jackson etc. They would have had no chance of stopping Dirk after 07 tho.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I'm sorry, but I've been sitting here watching you type bullshyt up for the past hour or so. Kevin Garnett vs. Tim Duncan was a heavy debate in the early 2000s. Only Spurs fans act like it wasn't and act all smug seeing how Timmy ended up with a better career. I'm getting sick of this recent coli deification of Tim Duncan. Stop acting like in the early 2000s this guy was viewed as untouchable and incomparable. There was not this huge gap between the two of them defensively or throughout their careers. Offensively, Tim operated out of the post and KG shot jumpers so that's what made Duncan a better player to structure a team around.

Tim was better, but it isn't this run away that people are making it out to be and in 2004 KG was definitely better. Everything involving Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett back then was a hypothetical debate. What would happen if KG played with the Spurs? What would Duncan's career look like if he was on Minnesota? We live in an era where people are now saying Dirk>>>>KG when Dirk is a jump shooting big man. In his prime KG was a considerably better all around player. Defensively it's not remotely comparable and he was a better passer and much better rebounder. Dirk is a one trick pony, but he's being put above KG all time these days. It's crazy really. It's crazy what winning does to people's memories.

Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan was even in commercials facing off with each other. They were clearly the two best PFs and KG was the more popular of the two, though he was not better. The debates were serious and they were justified.

BTW, no. John fukkin Stockton is not better than Kevin Garnett.

A lot of truth here.

I wouldn't comment on the Dirk part, but in the early 2000s (or prior to 2006), the top 5 players in the L was a general consensus of Shaq, Duncan, KG, Kobe (varying order)... with the 5th spot belonging to McGrady for at least a couple of those years.

Shaq was seen as numero uno more often than not, while KG vs Duncan was a hot debate along with Kobe vs T-Mac (well, Kobe in general was a hot debate.. whether it was vs Shaq, TMac, MJ, anyone or anything, etc).

In fact, prior to the 2003 playoff run, Duncan and the Spurs had detractors shytting on them, saying that they were too soft and mentally weak to beat the Phil Jackson Laker's (who had swept them 4-0 in '01 and whooped them 4-1 in '02)... and everybody was running with Phil Jackson's tagline of "asterick champions" for that lone 1999 'ship.

Duncan and Popovich bounced back and ended all that criticism/soft shyt in '03 year and took good advantage of the Shaq/Kobe split up in the years that followed, but yea some folks be playin that revisionist history crap as if ol' boy and his squad was never under criticism or him vs KG wasn't a natural talking point that would go either way.

With all that being said, Duncan's style of play offensively was what separated the two imo. Not just the post play (as I didn't think KG's 4 foot one handed fade away off the hakeem shake was a bad go-to move per se) but Duncan's willingness to stay attacking and not be so quick to pass the fukkin ball like it was a hot potato.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Daps
Yea, Duncan's post game and not shying away in the 4th is what give him the edge over Garnett.

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC

26.8 ppg playoff average

1 time nba mvp

led team to 2 nba finals

finals mvp

220px-DirkNowitzki.jpg

I always thought he was better for the simple fact he's a MUCH BETTER playoff performer then KG, and now with the with Last years run and Finals MVP he's had a better career.

I also like how nikkaz forget the Ether Dirk dropped on KG in the 02' Playoffs:mjpls:

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
A lot of ignorance in this thread. Ni99as started watching basketball when Lebron went to the Heat and shyt.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Bob Ryan who has watched the NBA since it started and could tell you what happened on January 19, 1965 in the NBA>>>>>>everyone in this thread.

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We live in an era where people are now saying Dirk>>>>KG when Dirk is a jump shooting big man. In his prime KG was a considerably better all around player. Defensively it's not remotely comparable and he was a better passer and much better rebounder. Dirk is a one trick pony, but he's being put above KG all time these days. It's crazy really. It's crazy what winning does to people's memories.

:laugh: @ saying winning makes people think differently. Ain't that what the game is all about :what:. And you should have your throat slit for saying "Dirk is a one trick pony" like he happen to show up last playoffs for the first time ever :pachaha:

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Theres always been garnet vs duncan debates
even in 2012
whether warranted or not
no debating that

just like theres been lebron vs carmelo debates since they entered the league
(again, whether warranted or not)

there was always a debate between em, ive had several arguments about with my ppl all through high school and shyt

anyone sayin there wasnt a debate either wasnt watching ball back than, or is trolling

i agree duncan vs shaq is da greater debate and duncan is shaq's true rival
but garnett vs duncan was more discussed for whatever reason

i personally thought duncan was always better
but da garnett hating in here is disgusting
he was def a beast and in da discussion