Kendrick Lamar is the Kevin Hart of hiphop

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
lmao, nobody's brainwashed. I've made a living writing about rap for years, I've spoken with past and present legends, I listen to a wide range of rap, and I study it. That's not to say that my opinion means more than yours, because I'm here to discuss music; just saying that I'm more than capable of thinking for myself. That's sophomoric to say that someone is "brainwashed" just because they don't agree with you :stopitslime:

FYI, Metacritic amasses all of the reviews for content from around the net. So the 91/100 score is amassing all of the reviews that GKMC got from everywhere. He's one of the few in this new era that got lots of critical acclaim and sales, not just one or the other. People find the music authentic, candid, and they respect the narrative depth of the record.

Read Sing About Me and Keisha's Song line for line and you should see how much detail and depth he uses in telling these people's stories. Details about growing up, details about their day to day life, details about specific incidences, and he captures the way that they think. I respect legends like Pac, Biggie, Scarface, etc. just as much as anyone, but I'm not one of those cats that's going to give them points over a newer record just because it's a name who is known as a legend. Very few people these days can drop records that are as descriptive/substantive as them, and I think Kendrick is one of the few. All those songs you posted are incredible, no doubt about it. But on a lyrical level, I think those stand up to that level, or at the very least, approach that level.

But if Sing About Me and Keisha's Song aren't descriptive to you - which is well within your right - then the conversation is useless.
Rosenberg makes a living discussing hiphop on the radio. Who cares. Them songs are weak. I read read them weak raps and im not impressed that "she's having sex with the usual and has faceless characters honk their horns at her as she tries to enjoy the smooth sounds of BRENDAS GOT A BABY." shyt is non impactful and KENDRICK is nowherw near as hot on the streets as he is on payed off media outlets.

BlackDroog

All Star
Daps
Interesting Topic...However, you neglected to mention Real Husbands of Hollywood under Hart's resume.

But even though Kevin Hart isn't on the same level as the Legends that you mentioned...most comedians aren't and never will be...and many will never be on kevin Hart's level either.

KEndrick makes good music. Shouldn't that be all that matters?

You also forgot Half Baked and Killin' Them Softly (Stand-up) for Dave Chappelle...

WEKetchum

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Rosenberg makes a living discussing hiphop on the radio. Who cares. Them songs are weak. I read read them weak raps and im not impressed that "she's having sex with the usual and has faceless characters honk their horns at her as she tries to enjoy the smooth sounds of BRENDAS GOT A BABY." shyt is non impactful and KENDRICK is nowherw near as hot on the streets as he is on payed off media outlets.

I said the statement about making a living to say that I can think for myself. Whether we have the same tastes or not wasn't the point. I'm not brainwashed because I disagree with you. Kendrick is definitely making an impact, as can be seen by his record sales, his crazy touring schedule (he's already had 3-4 tours this year), his respect by his peers and the legends before him, and the media love. Is everybody, fans included, getting paid off? :russ:

Everything shows he's making an impact with his music. If you don't like his work, as I've said several times, that's fine.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I said the statement about making a living to say that I can think for myself. Whether we have the same tastes or not wasn't the point. I'm not brainwashed because I disagree with you. Kendrick is definitely making an impact, as can be seen by his record sales, his crazy touring schedule (he's already had 3-4 tours this year), his respect by his peers and the legends before him, and the media love. Is everybody, fans included, getting paid off? :russ:

Everything shows he's making an impact with his music. If you don't like his work, as I've said several times, that's fine.
Saying do this for a living actually strengthens my stance. Plenty of media people write whats best for them.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Interesting Topic...However, you neglected to mention Real Husbands of Hollywood under Hart's resume.

But even though Kevin Hart isn't on the same level as the Legends that you mentioned...most comedians aren't and never will be...and many will never be on kevin Hart's level either.

KEndrick makes good music. Shouldn't that be all that matters?

You also forgot Half Baked and Killin' Them Softly (Stand-up) for Dave Chappelle...

Yeah. When it comes to Sketch comedy, Kevin Hart is actually pretty funny...really funny.

Movies, shows, etc.

Stand up....? :manny:

But Hart does have his lane.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kevin Hart is very talented too. I disagree if you say he is not...but I do agree to an extent that he is type-cast and somewhat in a box. He is certainly not as versatile as the greats before him. Kendrick and Kevin alike benefit from a void period in their respective arts. Whenever a void is present there is always a need for artists, entertainers, athletes, etc....to be overhyped and overrated.

Based on his body of work, it's not evident. I mean, he has his moments, but overall, it seems like it's all hype. Most of the times, it's as if he's trying to be funny as opposed to just being funny. With Kevin Hart, he doesn't have that definitive role, classic Stand-Up performance, or great television sitcom or sketch show. Kendrick at least has a definitive album.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
It took a bit longer than expected but my nikka Kendrick finally has a solid hater base :blessed:

He can officially be inducted in the future top 10 discussion :yes:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
It took a bit longer than expected but my nikka Kendrick finally has a solid hater base :blessed:

He can officially be inducted in the future top 10 discussion :yes:

10 pages of hate :blessed: all this publicity for free for the young GOAT. Let it all out brehs and get comfortable cause it's alot of years of hating coming up.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Based on his body of work, it's not evident. I mean, he has his moments, but overall, it seems like it's all hype. Most of the times, it's as if he's trying to be funny as opposed to just being funny. With Kevin Hart, he doesn't have that definitive role, classic Stand-Up performance, or great television sitcom or sketch show. Kendrick at least has a definitive album.
What you said about kevin is on point. However the same applies to kdot. That album is all hype i swear i never hear nobody bumpin his. My teenage god son is a hood nikka and never mentions him. My teenage nephew,same deal. My 21 nephew,same deal and THEY SQUARE nikkaS. his so called classic is not getting played like the real bonafide classics did when they dropped. Not sure how old you are but just think back to some bonafide classics of yesteryear. shyt feels nothing like that. ALSO that nikka asap rocky said somethin real intersting inthat flex interview. "We're doin the same venues or bigger" hmm i wonder why. CAUSE THEY FRONTIN WITH KDOT. that nikka aint sold nowhere near that million. He's alledgedly a top hiphop star. And he's touring. But from what i saw he's just doing festivals (that people go to every year) Where's the TDE tour? You know,like the no way out tour or HARD KNOCK LIFE TOUR rr & cash money tour

Last edited: