Kendrick Lamar is the Kevin Hart of hiphop

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Juvenile? JUVENILE?? You bring up "Ha"? That shyt was abysmal!! The worst lyrical single of all time! You impressed by "You keep your body clean ha?"

And people think Kevin Hart is funny?

Lol cosign

To me personally it amazes me why people don't do the Eminem comparison more in terms of SSLP and GKMC..

both are almost there but not quite yet....had both albums being concept albums also(and this is a generic example but true) with different types of "Cars"on the front of the album cover....with a family member(Hailie, Kendrick's mother and father) and how both the cars on he covers played SOME SORT of role in the story narrative of the album..

both of them are not necessarily the best freestyles in terms of a traditional manner....but have an unorthodox style in terms of freestyling...

the obvious interscope/Dr Dre connection....

both getting written off as one hit wonders who are not gonna last much longer.....

only to release a follow up album that is even bigger and gains them more respect(which we may see from Kendrick in 2014)

WEKetchum

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
post a song where he covers a topic with incredible depth and is as powerful as a BRENDA'S GOT A BABY,black girl lost, etc

On "Sing About Me," he conveys two characters: the brother of a killed gangbanger, and the prostitute sister of a killed prostitute. Just in that first verse, he details the dude's mindset from growing up as a gangbanger, gives a pretty shivering account of dude getting revenge for his brother's death, and dude's hopelessness of leaving the gangbanger life behind. Second verse, he does the same: shows her mindset from growing up in her environment, gives imagery of her day to day life, explains how she got to that point by growing up in foster homes, and her defiance despite being in a similar situation of hopelessness from the first verse. It actually says a lot that he's able to develop such full stories with only one verse for each person.

On "Keisha's Song (Her Evils)" from Section.80, he does a pretty similar job of Brenda's Got A Baby. Similar stories, and I think they're about as detailed, with just as much imagery. Pac had more of a name by that point than Kendrick did when he dropped GKMC, and he dropped "Brenda's Got A Baby" as a single, both of which made the song much more powerful when it dropped. That's not taking anything away from Brenda's Got A Baby at all, to be clear. That's a classic song in the cannon of hip-hop as a genre, and is a shining example of what hip-hop can offer.

EDIT: Actually, that was Pac's first single. Don't know what I was thinking, with the "had more of a name point," must have gotten it mixed up with another song. Either way though, it was a single, which lent it a lot more legs in terms of its classic status.

I don't think "Sing About Me" or "Keisha's Song" have any less depth than Brenda's Got A Baby or Black Girl Lost at all. Just like those songs, Kendrick fully develops characters outside of himself, gives a candid look into their lives, and narrates the situations that got them there.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
post a song where he covers a topic with incredible depth and is as powerful as a BRENDA'S GOT A BABY,black girl lost, etc
Didn't I give you a link to a thread with numerous examples (and analysis) of Kendrick's deeper songs? Stop troll posting. First the :duck:about Kendrick's sales...now you're ducking posts that answer your questions...

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
link songs
Didn't I give you a link to a thread with numerous examples (and analysis) of Kendrick's deeper songs? Stop troll posting. First the :duck:about Kendrick's sales...now you're ducking posts that answer your questions...
post the vids here

WEKetchum

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Again, do you have proof that Interscope purchased over 500,000 copies of GKMC? How did Interscope do it? Do they send their employees into Best Buys to purchase the album at retail? Do they purchase 500,000+ copies below retail before they are even sent to the retailer? That wouldn't count for RIAA certification would it? Didn't Hov have to change the bulk purchase rule for his Samsung deal?

Most importantly, can you explain how Interscope makes money doing this? Let's say they bought 500,000 copies at $10 each, that's a $5,000,000 investment in Kendrick. They didn't make that back on the other 500,000 copies that were actually moved at retail. So how do they make money? Touring? T-Shirts? That's a lot of fukking t-shirts!

Labels have bought copies of albums to propel the platinum/gold status for the album, and help the perception to make people think the album is blowing up and to have it keep up with the more popular releases. Seems to happen a lot less now, considering that big sales are more rare anyway. I seriously doubt that Interscope bought copies of GKMC.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Labels have bought copies of albums to propel the platinum/gold status for the album, and help the perception to make people think the album is blowing up and to have it keep up with the more popular releases. Seems to happen a lot less now, considering that big sales are more rare anyway. I seriously doubt that Interscope bought copies of GKMC.
How do they purchase them? At retail?

Can you give examples of albums?

Thanks

WEKetchum

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Proof that would hold in court,NO I DONT HAVE PROOF. Just limited info,instinct and intellect.

I do know everywhere i read,it says he signed in 2012 to interscope,yet the WE ALL SEEN the video of one of his underlings saying they signed in 2011. Why would they lie? Maybe they pretended to not be signed,so they could falsely come off as an indie group that was popping. Maybe section 80 was being promoted in every covert way possible by interscope. That's what I believe. They definitely lied,now we have to speculate why. I think my educated guess/assumption makes good sense. I believe alot of these newly signed artists are in 360 deals. In all honesty if i had a record company i'd be only signing people to 360 deals unless i thought they were so special as to where I had to have them on the roster. so I believe touring,merchandise etc is getting split up.

That's the norm these days: sign an artist to have him on the roster off rip, but don't announce it till the artist starts to really blow up. Him being signed before he announced it, or having a 360 deal, doesn't mean the label bought copies.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
On "Sing About Me," he conveys two characters: the brother of a killed gangbanger, and the prostitute sister of a killed prostitute. Just in that first verse, he details the dude's mindset from growing up as a gangbanger, gives a pretty shivering account of dude getting revenge for his brother's death, and dude's hopelessness of leaving the gangbanger life behind. Second verse, he does the same: shows her mindset from growing up in her environment, gives imagery of her day to day life, explains how she got to that point by growing up in foster homes, and her defiance despite being in a similar situation of hopelessness from the first verse. It actually says a lot that he's able to develop such full stories with only one verse for each person.

On "Keisha's Song (Her Evils)" from Section.80, he does a pretty similar job of Brenda's Got A Baby. Similar stories, and I think they're about as detailed, with just as much imagery. Pac had more of a name by that point than Kendrick did when he dropped GKMC, and he dropped "Brenda's Got A Baby" as a single, both of which made the song much more powerful when it dropped. That's not taking anything away from Brenda's Got A Baby at all, to be clear. That's a classic song in the cannon of hip-hop as a genre, and is a shining example of what hip-hop can offer.

EDIT: Actually, that was Pac's first single. Don't know what I was thinking, with the "had more of a name point," must have gotten it mixed up with another song. Either way though, it was a single, which lent it a lot more legs in terms of its classic status.

I don't think "Sing About Me" or "Keisha's Song" have any less depth than Brenda's Got A Baby or Black Girl Lost at all. Just like those songs, Kendrick fully develops characters outside of himself, gives a candid look into their lives, and narrates the situations that got them there.
songs are flat and boring. Kendrick suffers from I THINK I'M DOPER THAN I AM syndrome. Like alotta of so called lyrical rappers,he has trouble making strong emotional songs,because he doesnt know when to turn off being too artsy,when it's time to BE FELT AND MORE DIRECT AND DESCRIPTIVE. Also he raps the exact same way BOTH SONGS (some boring ass fake andre3k flow) and also mentions BRENDA'S GOT A BABY in both songs (which is why you got confused). This nikka is fukking corny. Trying to summon pac's depth in the studio and failing. Niether of these weak ass songs were worth mentioning. Sound like some corny ass white boy doing a essay on the hoodlife. He dont sound like a nikka that really saw something and put you there with his song. You fukk nikkas better go listen to nas,pac,face,early cube,early dmx and learn the difference.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
You know what it is? Some of you nikkas have been heavily listening to alot of newer shyt,so kendrick weak attempts at SAYING SOMETHING OF SUBSTANCE actually impresses ya'll. But me,i regularly still listen to music that spans over my 34 years on earth.
I keep my ears to what's current but i dont listen to it enough to be brainwashed by it. I'm not one of the dumb nikkas that believed wayne when he called himself THE BEST RAPPER ALIVE. I could picture a nikka that went for that,believing kendrick is some type of deep rapper. But if you regularly listen to hiphop from the 80's-90's etc,you can tell how flat and mediocre kendricks songs actually are. shyt is fugazi.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
That's the norm these days: sign an artist to have him on the roster off rip, but don't announce it till the artist starts to really blow up. Him being signed before he announced it, or having a 360 deal, doesn't mean the label bought copies.
I already said i cant prove THAT. However if they'll scheme in that fashion,wouldnt the same motive give them a reason to scheme on sales also?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
songs are flat and boring. Kendrick suffers from I THINK I'M DOPER THAN I AM syndrome. Like alotta of so called lyrical rappers,he has trouble making strong emotional songs,because he doesnt know when to turn off being too artsy,when it's time to BE FELT AND MORE DIRECT AND DESCRIPTIVE. Also he raps the exact same way BOTH SONGS (some boring ass fake andre3k flow) and also mentions BRENDA'S GOT A BABY in both songs (which is why you got confused). This nikka is fukking corny. Trying to summon pac's depth in the studio and failing. Niether of these weak ass songs were worth mentioning. Sound like some corny ass white boy doing a essay on the hoodlife. He dont sound like a nikka that really saw something and put you there with his song. You fukk nikkas better go listen to nas,pac,face,early cube,early dmx and learn the difference.

None of what you say here is an actual critique of the songs mentioned. Show us how the progression of the song is flat and boring. What you wrote doesn't even demonstrate to me that you've heard the songs. It's just generic, rambling criticism.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
You can just as easily do it. I already gave you the link to the thread. It's your thread, you gotta do the heavy lifting.
NO I DONT,everything's going as planned. Your primitive rebuttals arent stopping the message. There's no way listeners cant see the difference,rather they respond or not. I know i put it down well enough to leave a lasting mark.

Orange cream shake

Blessed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
null
dont disrespect k hart. kendrick should put out a mixtape called snooze music. he got a couple cool songs but overall I could fall asleep listenin to that gargoyle