Keep Justin Fields or draft a new QB?

If you in charge who is the Bears QB in 2024?

• Fields

• Caleb

• Maye

• Penix

• Other prospect

Results are only viewable after voting.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Tank Dell is a 5’8 rookie 3rd rounder—-that Stroud himself had them draft….who the gets hurt but stroud still wins out to make playoffs
If Stroud didnt miss them games, he mightve been in teh MVP discussion with no weapons :wow:

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If Stroud didnt miss them games, he mightve been in teh MVP discussion with no weapons :wow:
maybe as a dark horse but I dont think he comes close to the top 5 in the MVP race

He only missed two games and they split those. If he played all 17 games they probably still end up with the same record. They weren't beating the Browns even if CJ played....Flacco and Amari were going crazy that game.

And 2 games especially one against the Browns isn't enough to prop his stats up to enter the MVP race.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
maybe as a dark horse but I dont think he comes close to the top 5 in the MVP race

He only missed two games and they split those. If he played all 17 games they probably still end up with the same record. They weren't beating the Browns even if CJ played....Flacco and Amari were going crazy that game.

And 2 games especially one against the Browns isn't enough to prop his stats up to enter the MVP race.
I said in the discussion not winning it or anything. They would put him in the convo just for the narrative if he played all 17 imo

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
And rookie Joe Burrow—-before Chase—-was well on his way, we knew he was it. Even while Cincy had a terrible o-line, mid roster, and went 2-7. Stop it
I'm not gonna sit here and say Burrow is trash, but there was a debate his rookie season as to whether he was better than Herbert. Herbert had a much better rookie season. I remember a game against the Bears when Burrow threw 3 interceptions back to back to back. Also, while Burrow didn't have a good offensive line, he did have Higgins, Boyd and a past his prime AJ Green. Joe Mixon missed most of the season, but he's a good RB. THEN they went and added Jamar Chase. Point is, QBs need weapons and Stroud is probably the exception to winning games without ANY notable weapons (until they became known this season).

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
That boy gonna be a Falcon next year and Im completely fine with it. Very cool
Person and he is exciting but the inconsistency is too much.

ready for a surgeon from the pocket, hopefully thats Williams

Braman

Superstar
Daps
I'm not gonna sit here and say Burrow is trash, but there was a debate his rookie season as to whether he was better than Herbert. Herbert had a much better rookie season. I remember a game against the Bears when Burrow threw 3 interceptions back to back to back. Also, while Burrow didn't have a good offensive line, he did have Higgins, Boyd and a past his prime AJ Green. Joe Mixon missed most of the season, but he's a good RB. THEN they went and added Jamar Chase. Point is, QBs need weapons and Stroud is probably the exception to winning games without ANY notable weapons (until they became known this season).

And my point is do you know how hard it is to NOT have weapons :heh: The game is softer now so RBs and WRs grow on trees. You gotta do some truly bizarre incompetent left field shyt to be completely bereft of talent. I’d argue that only the Panthers, Pats, Giants, and Jets truly have ‘no weapons’. And actually the jets have Breece and Garret Wilson they only need a WR2

And contrary to what people keep saying, I’m not including the Bears. Fields just can’t see the whole field. He has DJ, Kmet, Mooney is better than fields has him looking. The commanders have weapons. Cardinals have weapons. Chargers have weapons when they’re not hurt. Teams like the Colts, Packers, Texans went from weapon-less to stacked in a year.

Conversely , the list is 2,3 times longer for teams without a QB and that problem can linger for YEARS

Trust me ‘weapons’ aint nothing. Getting the QB is thr challenge

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
And my point is do you know how hard it is to NOT have weapons :heh: The game is softer now so RBs and WRs grow on trees. You gotta do some truly bizarre incompetent left field shyt to be completely bereft of talent. I’d argue that only the Panthers, Pats, Giants, and Jets truly have ‘no weapons’. And actually the jets have Breece and Garret Wilson they only need a WR2

And contrary to what people keep saying, I’m not including the Bears. Fields just can’t see the whole field. He has DJ, Kmet, Mooney is better than fields has him looking. The commanders have weapons. Cardinals have weapons. Chargers have weapons when they’re not hurt. Teams like the Colts, Packers, Texans went from weapon-less to stacked in a year.

Conversely , the list is 2,3 times longer for teams without a QB and that problem can linger for YEARS

Trust me ‘weapons’ aint nothing. Getting the QB is thr challenge
I never said the Bears had zero weapons. The top teams have more though, and they definitely had better coaching. Everyone complained about Getsy’s play calls not making any sense a lot of times. There would be games where you say “wow, this is how the offense should run.” Then other games you’re asking what the hell is he doing?

I will say if the Bears decide to trade Justin and draft a QB, this new QB has to make the playoffs to be seen as a win. They definitely can’t finish with a worse record than 7-10. Team was playing well at the end of the season, and really should’ve gone 10-7 if not for some bad coaching decisions. So if they draft a QB and the team takes a step backwards, it would be a bad look since the rookie QB is supposed to be “just as good or better” than your current QB, coupled with another 1st round pick on top of it (potentially another weapon). Especially when all the players on the team wanted to retain the current QB.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Tell me you never played football without telling me. Coaches like to GET PLAYERS THAT FIT THEIR PHILOSOPHY. Of course if a player is a stud, then their isn't a change. Fields isn't a stud.

Baltimore changed everything about itself and how it went about offense in order to maximize Lamar Jackson.

That's the difference between reputable franchises and povery franchises. They understand there's more than one right way and they do what it takes to at least try to maximize what is on hand before moving on to get "their guy."

We literally have seen Baltimore and the Giants take a mobile QB with limitations as a passer -- whether due to the QB himself or the surrounding cast -- and find ways to get him to play winning football until the rest of the team comes along or the player overcomes those limitations.

For such a copycat league, teams pick and choose when to borrow from other teams' blueprints.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Are you high?!?

Tank Dell is a 5’8 rookie 3rd rounder—-that Stroud himself had them draft….who the gets hurt but stroud still wins out to make playoffs

Nico Collins is a 3rd rounder who was a season away from being Leqoun Tredwell status.

Dameon Pierce a jag. Devin singletary a cast off on a $1M deal. Da hell you mean ‘perfect’. They are a bottom 10 team talent wise. And that’s conservative. If the Texans went 4-13 no one would have blinked an eye. Stroud is one of best modern examples of NOT needing ‘perfection’ and just being special

And rookie Joe Burrow—-before Chase—-was well on his way, we knew he was it. Even while Cincy had a terrible o-line, mid roster, and went 2-7. Stop it

By no means am I saying CJ isn't special, because he is. Still, this wasn't an empty cupboard situation. It isn't perfect but it isn't trash either. Most of the Texans' offense is full of people who were overlooked -- for example, Tank Dell was a first round talent who fell to the third round because he's smaller than most NFL kickers and Devin Singletary was always a solid back that played for a Buffalo team that has just now committed to running the ball with someone not named Josh Allen -- or otherwise stuck behind superior talent so you didn't know what you had until they got to play extensive reps.

Houston also had a decent OL and a franchise LT in place before Stroud got there. They then gave him an offensive coordinator that learned from Kyle Shanahan.

To your point though, Stroud tied all of it together.

I don't think Fields needs everything around him to be perfect, but the coaching and scheme absolutely matters for someone like him.

They have to do something about that OL, though.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Baltimore changed everything about itself and how it went about offense in order to maximize Lamar Jackson.

That's the difference between reputable franchises and povery franchises. They understand there's more than one right way and they do what it takes to at least try to maximize what is on hand before moving on to get "their guy."

We literally have seen Baltimore and the Giants take a mobile QB with limitations as a passer -- whether due to the QB himself or the surrounding cast -- and find ways to get him to play winning football until the rest of the team comes along or the player overcomes those limitations.

For such a copycat league, teams pick and choose when to borrow from other teams' blueprints.
Jackson is a very poor example. They know what they were getting. Roman was just an ass OC. But that was just part of the problem

Like I said a million fukking times if Lamar had some receivers he'd really ball out. And look at what happened.

That was the main problem with Lamar, not having the talent. Fields is not Lamar. Lamar is QB all the way. Fields is a running back that can't read defenses

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I never said the Bears had zero weapons. The top teams have more though, and they definitely had better coaching. Everyone complained about Getsy’s play calls not making any sense a lot of times. There would be games where you say “wow, this is how the offense should run.” Then other games you’re asking what the hell is he doing?

I will say if the Bears decide to trade Justin and draft a QB, this new QB has to make the playoffs to be seen as a win. They definitely can’t finish with a worse record than 7-10. Team was playing well at the end of the season, and really should’ve gone 10-7 if not for some bad coaching decisions. So if they draft a QB and the team takes a step backwards, it would be a bad look since the rookie QB is supposed to be “just as good or better” than your current QB, coupled with another 1st round pick on top of it (potentially another weapon). Especially when all the players on the team wanted to retain the current QB.
It's unfair to expect the bolded from a rookie QB in the NFC North

Detroit's good, The Packers are trending up and Minnesota would probably have Green Bay's playoff spot if Kirk didn't go down.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Jackson is a very poor example. They know what they were getting. Roman was just an ass OC. But that was just part of the problem

Like I said a million fukking times if Lamar had some receivers he'd really ball out. And look at what happened.

That was the main problem with Lamar, not having the talent. Fields is not Lamar. Lamar is QB all the way. Fields is a running back that can't read defenses
Jackson is a perfect example because it shows that good coaching/team building involves maximizing what's on hand as opposed to expecting the talent to do it your way, even if you have to change your system to do it. They changed their system and personnel, and when they had to pivot again, they did it.

Fields is not in Lamar's league, but he's a dynamic runner with upper-level arm talent. His big issue is that he doesn't play fast mentally (and he all but said as much when he called out the coaches for overloading him with info a while back while indicating he felt like a robot out there). A competent OC can work with that and install a scheme that simplifies what's happening, gets guys open quickly and ideally speed up the decision-making process.

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
It's unfair to expect the bolded from a rookie QB in the NFC North

Detroit's good, The Packers are trending up and Minnesota would probably have Green Bay's playoff spot if Kirk didn't go down.
Maybe not playoffs, but the expectation will be that they should finish better than 7-10. You have players on the team saying they want to keep Justin and how they wanted more of an aerial attack. You have fans chanting “we want Fields.” You add more talent around Fields and change the OC (which they’re doing), there’s no way the Bears get worse with the chemistry they’ve already been building. However, if you’re telling the current roster and fan base that the rookie QB will be better than Fields, but they come in and finish with a worse record despite even more help (Bears have another top ten pick plus plenty of money to spend), it will be seen as a disaster.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
Jackson is a perfect example because it shows that good coaching/team building involves maximizing what's on hand as opposed to expecting the talent to do it your way, even if you have to change your system to do it. They changed their system and personnel, and when they had to pivot again, they did it.

Fields is not in Lamar's league, but he's a dynamic runner with upper-level arm talent. His big issue is that he doesn't play fast mentally (and he all but said as much when he called out the coaches for overloading him with info a while back while indicating he felt like a robot out there). A competent OC can work with that and install a scheme that simplifies what's happening, gets guys open quickly and ideally speed up the decision-making process.
Not it's not. HARBAUGH DRAFTED HIM. So that means Harbaugh liked what he saw and knew what he had to do. EBus didn't draft Fields. Fields overall is not a good QB. He's Terrell Pryor. The accuracy and decision making is poor.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Maybe not playoffs, but the expectation will be that they should finish better than 7-10. You have players on the team saying they want to keep Justin and how they wanted more of an aerial attack. You have fans chanting “we want Fields.” You add more talent around Fields and change the OC (which they’re doing), there’s no way the Bears get worse with the chemistry they’ve already been building. However, if you’re telling the current roster and fan base that the rookie QB will be better than Fields, but they come in and finish with a worse record despite even more help (Bears have another top ten pick plus plenty of money to spend), it will be seen as a disaster.

Bears could go 7-10 again but if Williams throws for 4k yards and looks godly then no one will sideeye the pick because you now have the qb. Everything else can be fixed after that