kanye west used 16 other people to help write "All Day"

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Someone mentioned is this the same as what Biggie did for Lil Kim, Cease and Junior Mafia. I wouldn't go that far, we don't know what is being written in the studio and what KanYe's writing and creative process is. I don't believe Ye is listening to reference tracks and just tracing the lines. I don't know if I would go that far. But to see that many writers. I mean K Dot isn't a writer cause of the production, I doubt it. It's obvious cause of Lyrics. It's like when I saw Lupe's name on "Black Skinhead". We all know about Rhymefest but Ye did write most if not all of "College Dropout", that was him even if he wasn't the greatest rapper. It seems from "Late Registration" on Ye's collaborations have gotten larger and larger. Each albums credits list gets longer and longer.

I'm sorry but I don't think Dr. Dre nor Puffy had this many writers, lol. Seriously. But they do this also, they bring people in to play the instruments or write the lyrics but they put it all together in the end. So Ye is the new Puffy and Dre but just with a longer catalog of albums. Again I can't doubt Ye's discography, it's not debatable, it's one of the best in hip hop history. But Best rapper of all time is mostly about THE BARS and always will be. Ye isn't with the greatest spitters if he's using writers like this. Just like we wouldn't put Diddy nor Dre with the best spitters though I'd argue I love Dre's delivery way more than KanYe's and I like Dre's rap voice better. Plus Dre and Puffy have there share of Classic albums. So again I'm all for creative collaboration. But this seems extreme to me.

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
You know what's also hilarious? I can't name a Ye track where someone didn't have a better verse than him :ohhh::manny:

Eternal Tecate

Superstar
Daps
Someone mentioned is this the same as what Biggie did for Lil Kim, Cease and Junior Mafia. I wouldn't go that far, we don't know what is being written in the studio and what KanYe's writing and creative process is. I don't believe Ye is listening to reference tracks and just tracing the lines. I don't know if I would go that far. But to see that many writers. I mean K Dot isn't a writer cause of the production, I doubt it. It's obvious cause of Lyrics. It's like when I saw Lupe's name on "Black Skinhead". We all know about Rhymefest but Ye did write most if not all of "College Dropout", that was him even if he wasn't the greatest rapper. It seems from "Late Registration" on Ye's collaborations have gotten larger and larger. Each albums credits list gets longer and longer.

I'm sorry but I don't think Dr. Dre nor Puffy had this many writers, lol. Seriously. But they do this also, they bring people in to play the instruments or write the lyrics but they put it all together in the end. So Ye is the new Puffy and Dre but just with a longer catalog of albums. Again I can't doubt Ye's discography, it's not debatable, it's one of the best in hip hop history. But Best rapper of all time is mostly about THE BARS and always will be. Ye isn't with the greatest spitters if he's using writers like this. Just like we wouldn't put Diddy nor Dre with the best spitters though I'd argue I love Dre's delivery way more than KanYe's and I like Dre's rap voice better. Plus Dre and Puffy have there share of Classic albums. So again I'm all for creative collaboration. But this seems extreme to me.

Yeah we do

Noah Goldstein: The very first time I heard Kanye say "I am a God," we all were like, "OK, that's where we're going-- let's go all the way there."

Hudson Mohawke: "I Am a God" was one of the first songs he had for the record. It was like the blueprint. The original version was even more directly in-your-face and aggressive than the final, but given the song's title, it didn't need this fukking apocalyptic, earth-shatteringly massive production to get its point across.

Noah Goldstein: If you watch LeBron dunk in the middle of a game, you’re gonna get up and freak out. And it was like that when Kanye spit the first verse of “I Am a God”. It was really fukking early in the morning, and he just came downstairs, and was like, “Yo, let’s go.” It was the most emphatic performance. I was like, “Holy shyt!” [laughs] I stopped and hit save really quick and thought, “fukk, I gotta back up the drive right now, man. That was crazy.”

He does that shyt a lot. He did it on “New Day” as well, from Watch the Throne. We were set up at the SoHo Grand, and he came in at fukking 9:30 in the morning and was like, “Yo, I got the ‘New Day’ verse, bring it up.” Then he spit it. I looked at him, like, “For real, man? That just happened? You just did that shyt?” He just smiled at me.

Noah Goldstein: Sometimes I don’t realize which lines are going to really resonate, but Kanye always does. Actually, "hurry up with my damn croissants" was one where I was like, “Are you really sure you want to say that?” [laughs] And he’s like, “Yes! That’s staying in!” He literally has the best gut instincts of anybody I’ve ever worked with, as far as what music should be. So when he says a line has to stay in, I’m like, "OK!" I will not argue with the god.

Hudson Mohawke: There are so many classic lines. I tweeted this one yesterday: "Do you remember when we first met?/ OK, I don't remember when we first met." [laughs] They creep up on you, they're not obvious punchlines. And one of my favorite things about Kanye is that there's always some personal flaws in his lyrics. He's honest. He's not trying to portray himself as some squeaky clean, perfect person. It takes him out of the realm of so many other mainstream rap artists who only focus on the bragging side of things; you don't necessarily feel like you have any personal connection with a lot of those artists, whereas Kanye puts so much of his own personality into his music.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps

Why would Rhymefest write CD if he's only listed as writer on one track? Which also happens to be the dopest track and he said that he wrote most of one verse on that track.

Kanye is just trying to be hipster with this shyt, just like he had 5-6 producers on every track on Yeezus.

shyt doesn't even make sense, it's like having 20 mechanics to repair a bike.
9 producers for black skinhead :childplease:

Dude gave Amber Rose writing credit for that "yeezy taught me"

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I told cats years ago (check my post history) that Kanye has retreats in Hawaii where he flies in different people to write & produce his music. Dude hasn't written his own verses in years. Big Sean & Cyhi are responsible for a LOT of Kanye's recent music (2010+)...

This isn't about "borrowing" lines... cats are being handed FULL VERSES to REHEARSE... it's a LOT of rappers in this New Era that are no different then Pop Acts... :yeshrug:

But I'ma let ya'll continue to believe these rappers still pen their own verses let alone lines... :skip:
:mjpls:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
You have no idea what you're talking about.
yea i've only posted 100 examples of losers with no career or skill, rapping they ass off in commercials, tv's and movies

now show me a singer, who magically sounds like beyonce, after being handed a piece of paper............

exactly... singing is a talent... writing raps is a talent... copying and pasting a flow is simplest shyt you can do

can't we all learn whole rap albums, and rap them just like the rapper... now throw on some isley brothers and sing just like Ron.... go ahead and admit defeat :umad:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

really well thought out and well rounded post.

Just curious, in your opinion do you think the "kanye doesn't use writers like people say he does" due to the fact that College Dropout and to some extent Late Registration didn't really have that many other names in the liner notes?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Kanye decides what he says on his songs, he doesn't read other people's papers. I don't know what else to say, you're wrong.
which i already addressed

first off.... you can't be a great RAPPER when you're DECIDING which lines to use from other people.... Y'ALL are great rappers... but nikka you didn't do the shyt alone, so i'm gonna have to knock some points off for that... that's that HGH injection... yea you swung the bat and had to hit the ball, but would you have knocked in 73 homers without the HGH? maybe you'd have only knocked in 50 or 40

second... i didn't say ye was getting reference tracks... i said it takes NO talent to spit what others wrote.. i then used the reference track as an example... of how rapping isn't talent, the writing is. lil kim didn't need talent to rap that shyt... BIGGIE had the talent to write it, flow it, and do the ad libs..

rapping isn't hard to do... writing a rap song is hard to do... and if you got 5-6 people in there writing a rap song, you not getting no praise or awards for that shyt from the hip-hop community... cause we all know how fukking easy it is, for everybody and their brother to RAP.... the difference between shytty rapper on the corner and jay-z, is jay-z's bars and flow... not their ability to rap the words

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
There's no difference between composing complex jazz music and composing complex hip hop music. "spitting what others wrote for you" isn't what's signified by a bunch of people receiving writing credits.

You can continue to be in denial and operate under the assumption that Kanye is a puppet propped up by other people's work, or you can accept reality. It's not like what goes on in the studio is a secret, there's a ton of shyt you can read and watch with people talking about recording with Ye.

Anthony Kilhoffer: "I'm in It" started out with a different sample and melody. Then Kanye removed the sample, and it lived as a six-minute arrangement for a while. Then Rick Rubingot ahold of it and structured it to flow as a three-minute piece. Oftentimes, songs start out at six minutes, then they get whittled down to the best parts over the course of months.

Mike Dean: We're all trying to push things to be weirder. I sometimes push for stuff to be more musical, and then Kanye pulls it back to hip-hop. "I'm In It", for instance, had these crazy guitar parts and all this stadium stuff, and then Rick, Noah, and Kanye pulled it back. I wasn't very happy with that at first, but it came out really well.

Evian Christ: That track is obviously very overtly sexual, and the production mirrors that. When I first sent it, I had some breathy sex sounds laid on the snares, and by the time Kanye was rapping over it, it definitely went into overdrive as far as emphasizing the sexuality. The first time I heard it with Kanye's vocals, I had to do a double-take on a couple of the lines. But if you’re gonna do a song like that, you may as well go all the way; if you’re gonna do a sex song, you may as well talk about fisting. To me, it was very definite-- he absolutely knew what he wanted to do on that track.

Noah Goldstein: Kanye figured out all those reggae voices on the album. Everything is him, to be real. Regardless of who additionally produced things, it's his curation. And this idea that he's not as hands-on in the studio now is bullshyt. He is the consummate producer.

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9157-the-yeezus-sessions/

Wouldn't all of the people that you think do all the work for Kanye be mad about it? Instead of heap praise upon him at every opporunity? You either have a personal grudge against him or you have absolutely no clue how music is created. Or both.
i think you're missing the point here... a lot of people are

nobody is saying Ye is some talentless fukk... who walks in and is handed a beat and paper and told to rap

what we are saying, and what HE is doing, is the problem.. Ye walks around like god's gift to music.. he should be winning everything. he's the most influential.. he's the best hip hop artist... he's the best rapper.. he's so deep.. he's so advanced.. he's so............................

well you puffing your chest out like that... and your fans are agreeing... well people are going to look a little deeper into that.

ok you the best producer... but you walk in and someone has a beat made... you deleted some parts... 2-3 other guys added some parts, changed some parts, and shortened some parts.... you come behind that and add a little... and everyone agrees that it's fire.... well now that's not exactly the same as say DJ Premier sitting in the studio with a record player, an MPC and a drum machine... cranking out beats for 30 years.. you got a little extra help from 4-5 other legends

ok you the best rapper... you got 4-5 great writers in there... you adding, subtracting, and getting help.... then walk around like you the shyt.... well that's not the same as kendrick or lupe, sitting alone with a piece of paper, writing rhymes in the studio

what you'll say is everyone gets a little help... a "nah say it like this"... a "add some strings"... YOU'RE 100% RIGHT

but we talking about 18 motherfukking writers... that's 18 people in there on a song... and even from what you posted... the beat was made before he ever got there... they sprinkled it with other shyt... removed other shyt... but i missed the part where ye sat down and crafted that beat from scratch

compared to a jay-z song might have 3-4. you damn right i'm gonna be better, sound better, rap better if i got 18 legends helping me out and you only got 4 of your nikkas from the block

Eternal Tecate

Superstar
Daps
i think you're missing the point here... a lot of people are

nobody is saying Ye is some talentless fukk... who walks in and is handed a beat and paper and told to rap

what we are saying, and what HE is doing, is the problem.. Ye walks around like god's gift to music.. he should be winning everything. he's the most influential.. he's the best hip hop artist... he's the best rapper.. he's so deep.. he's so advanced.. he's so............................

well you puffing your chest out like that... and your fans are agreeing... well people are going to look a little deeper into that.

ok you the best producer... but you walk in and someone has a beat made... you deleted some parts... 2-3 other guys added some parts, changed some parts, and shortened some parts.... you come behind that and add a little... and everyone agrees that it's fire.... well now that's not exactly the same as say DJ Premier sitting in the studio with a record player, an MPC and a drum machine... cranking out beats for 30 years.. you got a little extra help from 4-5 other legends

ok you the best rapper... you got 4-5 great writers in there... you adding, subtracting, and getting help.... then walk around like you the shyt.... well that's not the same as kendrick or lupe, sitting alone with a piece of paper, writing rhymes in the studio

what you'll say is everyone gets a little help... a "nah say it like this"... a "add some strings"... YOU'RE 100% RIGHT

but we talking about 18 motherfukking writers... that's 18 people in there on a song... and even from what you posted... the beat was made before he ever got there... they sprinkled it with other shyt... removed other shyt... but i missed the part where ye sat down and crafted that beat from scratch

compared to a jay-z song might have 3-4. you damn right i'm gonna be better, sound better, rap better if i got 18 legends helping me out and you only got 4 of your nikkas from the block

You're still underselling how much Ye is involved. You're looking at it as a division of labor instead of collaboration. That's not what it is. There's not a fixed sized pie of a workload that gets split up into pieces. It's just sharing ideas. There's 18 people sharing ideas. If you give Kanye an idea he gives you credit. Then he goes and writes his verses. It all still comes from Kanye's mind. Making beats from scratch isn't some kind of nobler act than creating beats through collaboration.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
You're still underselling how much Ye is involved. You're looking at it as a division of labor instead of collaboration. That's not what it is. There's not a fixed sized pie of a workload that gets split up into pieces. It's just sharing ideas. There's 18 people sharing ideas. If you give Kanye an idea he gives you credit. Then he goes and writes his verses. It all still comes from Kanye's mind. Making beats from scratch isn't some kind of nobler act than creating beats through collaboration.
it's a more difficult and more noble of an act to do something alone than with 18 people... ESPECIALLY IN HIP HOP

i remember jermaine dupri saying this... the entire beef with him and dr. dre and timbaland was cause he said something like "i'm the best producer ever. i go in the studio ALONE and crank out all these hits... these nikkas need a team. if you put them ALONE in a studio and me in another, i'd blow them out the water each and every time"

from that article:

Anthony Kilhoffer: Everyone’s given a song and asked to go produce on it and bring it back the next day, then we’ll all sit around and critique it. It’s kind of like an art class [laughs]: “This is what we did this afternoon, what do you think?”

how's that more talented than what people are doing alone... everyone is given a song to produce... they bring it BACK, then a shytload of people sit around making it GREAT.... then Ye runs around saying he's this generations Michael Jackson.... nikka WHAT???

maybe if he dialed it down a little bit, people wouldn't care. they don't care as much when dre does it.. cause dre keeps his mouth shut and doesn't walk around like gods gift to music... there's no way you gonna sit here and tell me that what Kanye is doing, takes more talent than if he had to make YEEZUS alone like College Dropout

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia
yea i've only posted 100 examples of losers with no career or skill, rapping they ass off in commercials, tv's and movies

now show me a singer, who magically sounds like beyonce, after being handed a piece of paper............

exactly... singing is a talent... writing raps is a talent... copying and pasting a flow is simplest shyt you can do

can't we all learn whole rap albums, and rap them just like the rapper... now throw on some isley brothers and sing just like Ron.... go ahead and admit defeat :umad:

Rapping is a talent.

:snoop:

that_boy_kilso

mix engineer
Daps
Reppin
Brasil
Dont remember where and who said it, but kanye supposedly gives credit to everybody in the sessions that bounce ideas with him, even if the persons idea dont stick to the final version of the track... anyway, im glad kanye at least rapping on one track on his new album, thought it would be all "singing"!