Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Daps
Reppin
NULL
This movie definitely lives up to the hype. I wonder how Black Christians can watch this film and not throw their religion in the bushes?

I can.......You got religion and GOD fukked up....and if you need a movie\book to tell you that there is or isn't a GOD, then I pity your life....

Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, people calling him a coon are clearly looking at things from a 21st century perspective, not understanding how much slavery was as much a mental oppression as it was physical. it was similar to abused wives who can't leave their husbands because the mental grip is too strong.

plus him standing up to Paul Dano's character and whooping his ass in the process was more of a bold move than what the majority of the people in here calling him a punk would do

What's really sad is that this 21st mentality is steeped in new age romanticism and it absolutely foolish...But that's the mindset today....nikkas want even organize a stand in the black community against crime for risk of getting harmed or losing a paycheck...Nor will we speak out against injustices as a whole against new age racism like the industrialized prison complex or unfair lending practices from banks....But as soon as a few nikkas see a movie about slavey, they go into overdrive about how they would have banged on the beast back then, when they don't even check their white bosses at work for shytting on them in present day...

Yall nikkas aint fooling nobody for real

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
First of all wonderful movie, extremely sad but it portrayed reality. American slavery was arguably the most brutal of all.

If there's one thing I would love to see, it's a HBO-style series on how Africa was destroyed by the Arab and European slave trades. Portray different times in different parts of the world so show the history of some of the lesser known stories.

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
:comeon::comeon:Nikka, no he didn't. He raped her every night. He got off on mentally and physically tormenting her. She was like a dog that he could abuse over and over again, and the dog would still be obedient to him. There are way too many people who are saying just because he chose her over his wife, means he has feelings for her. That was not the case, she was his best worker, so of course he is not going to let her go because she was making him money. She was in a fukked up situation, she worked hard all day, if she didn't meet her daily cotton quota, she would be beaten, if she went over her quota, the expectations of her load for the next would be higher. So eventually she was going to be beaten anyway, if she didn't meet her increasing quota. Her day was just full of terror, and at night she would just have to give in to being raped by him, because she was so exhausted from the day.

The book better explains her situation and their relationship. He was an absolute monster in the book.
Yea he treated that broad like you'd treat a jumpoff with the best wet wet and dome you ever had. Theres a difference between being possessive and bein in love. He loved her about as much as hatin nikkas in the office love that dime piece they dont want a nikka talkin to. :whoo:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Yea he treated that broad like you'd treat a jumpoff with the best wet wet and dome you ever had. Theres a difference between being possessive and bein in love. He loved her about as much as hatin nikkas in the office love that dime piece they dont want a nikka talkin to. :whoo:

Smart nikkaz breed respect and loyalty from they JO, this dude was literally a sick twisted freak that took advantage of ol girl simply because he owned her as property and didn't see her as a human being. Real shyt those times were bizarre as fukk....:mindblown:

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Just watched it.

Great movie. Great direction, great acting. 2 points I would like to discuss:

Did Epps love Patsy? Yeah I think so. Epps was definitely a sociopath, not some fukkin product of the time or whatever. But love comes in very perverse forms. I'll also point out love means different things to different people. Some people, like sociopaths, can beat their loved ones to death then sleep with their rotting corpse for 6 months.

Europeans in American Slave movies. This always kinda rubs me the wrong way. Although the movie was perfect in a lot of aspects...the accents most of the actors had were off and it annoyed me throughout the movie. I feel like slavery in America is a uniquely American experience that cannot be fully understood unless you grew up in America (and I mean this for both blacks and whites). I can read all the books on apartheid I can find...but unless I was raised in South Africa I dont know if I'd every truly "get it"

street heat

merchant of death
Daps
Reppin
NULL
great movie, not as graphic as i was expecting. i wish they would have done more with the musical score. it seemed like they would play a nice piece for less than 5 seconds and cut it off when it should went the duration of a scene. i dont really understand that.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
how come black movies that get recognition and critical acclaim have to be about blacks being "the help" or slaves?