Just saw 12 Years a Slave

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
the movie is important because you Young Nikkas is walking around like its all gravy and its not. The wool is being pulled over your eyes & you getting raped but you smiling about it.
Most of yall want to continue to live in 'fantasy land' instead of us waking up collectively and using our brains to empower ourselves.

end rant :birdman:

Dooby

إن شاء الله
Daps
Just saw this. Wow. I seriously have a new perspective on life because of this. Man smh....the first movie I've seen where I nearly cried. The whipping. You know what part.

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Definitely one of the best films I've seen period. I'm glad that the film is getting its due praise and I'm excited to watch the oscars and see what happens.

Steve McQueen is that dude though. I love how in pretty much every interview this:childplease: Is his expression to damn near every question.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this. Brilliant movie. Just a few questions about the ending
At the end it says there are no details about his death. I did some looking around the web and found that there were rumors of another kidnapping and him becoming a slave AGAIN :wow: also found stuff that said he ended up a vagabond. Anyone have anymore info on this?

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Epps loved Patsy. I'm not comparing homosexuality to being black but, its kinda like a movie where a downlow man has sex with a guy then beats that guy up afterward for insinuating that he's a homosexual. The man knows he likes men but, he's still bigoted toward gays. Being gay goes against everything he is. That's Epps. He's a racist slave owner and to him blacks are little more than cattle yet, he has an unhealthy obsession for one of those slaves. Even to the point that he told his own wife she could :camby: if she made him choose between her and Patsy. Complete cognitive dissonance.

His love was obsessive, wrong and impure because he viewed Patsy as property. But nonetheless, he "loved" her. If it was just about Epps the slavemaster lusting for black slave coochie, he would have been that obsessive and controlling with all of the black slave women. He only had that problem with Pasty, god bless her poor soul.

:comeon::comeon:Nikka, no he didn't. He raped her every night. He got off on mentally and physically tormenting her. She was like a dog that he could abuse over and over again, and the dog would still be obedient to him. There are way too many people who are saying just because he chose her over his wife, means he has feelings for her. That was not the case, she was his best worker, so of course he is not going to let her go because she was making him money. She was in a fukked up situation, she worked hard all day, if she didn't meet her daily cotton quota, she would be beaten, if she went over her quota, the expectations of her load for the next would be higher. So eventually she was going to be beaten anyway, if she didn't meet her increasing quota. Her day was just full of terror, and at night she would just have to give in to being raped by him, because she was so exhausted from the day.

The book better explains her situation and their relationship. He was an absolute monster in the book.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
We're not talking about the book breh. We're talking about the movie. I don't know what changes Steven McQueen decided to make when he adapted it to film.

In the film, Edwin Epps is a racist slave owner raised on white supremacy. That's his core philosophy. To him, blacks were little more than dogs. Slaves, property, work horses. Nothing. He prides himself on being a slave breaker. He prides himself on being a staunch racist. For him to have feelings toward a black slave....it shakes his entire philosophy to the core. To him, this woman is supposed to be less than human but, he has an attraction towards her....and that conflict makes him loathe himself. If it was just about getting black slave puzzy, Epps wouldve been that way towards all the female slaves. It was something more.

Its no different than someone being homophobic but, a fakkit deep down. And not just in the closet but, someone who vehemently hates gays. All their life, they thought gays were disgusting and perverse. To accept that they have sexual feelings toward men would shake their entire being. Some of these types actually beat up gays after they have sex with them because they don't want to accept their homosexuality. Same exact sh*t. You say Edwin didn't "love" Patsy...that's cool. That's your opinion. I know what movie I saw and I understood what message that director was trying to convey.

Last edited:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
We're not talking about the book breh. We're talking about the movie. I don't know what changes Steven McQueen decided to make when he adapted it to film.

In the film, Edwin Epps is a racist slave owner raised on white supremacy. That's his core philosophy. To him, blacks were little more than dogs. Slaves, property, work horses. Nothing. He prides himself on being a slave breaker. He prides himself on being a staunch racist. For him to have feelings toward a black slave....it shakes his entire philosophy to the core. To him, this woman is supposed to be less than human but, he has an attraction towards her....and that conflict makes him loathe himself. If it was just about getting black slave puzzy, Epps wouldve been that way towards all the female slaves. It was something more.

Its no different than someone being homophobic but, a fakkit deep down. And not just in the closet but, someone who vehemently hates gays. All their life, they thought gays were disgusting and perverse. To accept that they have sexual feelings toward men would shake their entire being. Some of these types actually beat up gays after they have sex with them because they don't want to accept their homosexuality. Same exact sh*t. You say Edwin didn't "love" Patsy...that's cool. That's your opinion. I know what movie I saw and I understood what message that director was trying to convey.

I don't know if it was white supremacy, but more his devout Christian faith. He believed slaves were his property who had to serve him wholeheartedly and he in turn could do anything to them because they were his property. The homosexual similarity really doesn't make any sense in this case. He was raping her frequently and the power trip is what he got off on. Sorry breh, but that is not "love". If you notice, he was a weak man in other aspects of his life, his wife ordered him around, his crops were dying, he was a drunk etc. He couldn't whip Patsey, because he was a weak fukken man, not cause he didn't want to hurt her. His wife was ordering him around in front of the slaves, so in order not to look like a p*ssy, he in turn ordered Solomon to do it.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this. Brilliant movie. Just a few questions about the ending
At the end it says there are no details about his death. I did some looking around the web and found that there were rumors of another kidnapping and him becoming a slave AGAIN :wow: also found stuff that said he ended up a vagabond. Anyone have anymore info on this?

It's literally a mystery. Nobody knows, but it's highly suspect that he was either kidnapped again (because of him going to court to sue those dudes who kidnapped him the 1st time or was killed).