Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Movie was brilliant. Patsy stole the show with her performance in my opinion.

Chiwitel....:wow:

LMAO at Brad Pitt being in the movie all of 5 min and getting featured on all the posters. Cac's are hilarious I tell you...:laugh:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
We're not talking about the book breh. We're talking about the movie. I don't know what changes Steven McQueen decided to make when he adapted it to film.

In the film, Edwin Epps is a racist slave owner raised on white supremacy. That's his core philosophy. To him, blacks were little more than dogs. Slaves, property, work horses. Nothing. He prides himself on being a slave breaker. He prides himself on being a staunch racist. For him to have feelings toward a black slave....it shakes his entire philosophy to the core. To him, this woman is supposed to be less than human but, he has an attraction towards her....and that conflict makes him loathe himself. If it was just about getting black slave puzzy, Epps wouldve been that way towards all the female slaves. It was something more.

Its no different than someone being homophobic but, a fakkit deep down. And not just in the closet but, someone who vehemently hates gays. All their life, they thought gays were disgusting and perverse. To accept that they have sexual feelings toward men would shake their entire being. Some of these types actually beat up gays after they have sex with them because they don't want to accept their homosexuality. Same exact sh*t. You say Edwin didn't "love" Patsy...that's cool. That's your opinion. I know what movie I saw and I understood what message that director was trying to convey.

:ehh:

While in general you have a point, in the book the Epps was a horrible person through and through. The movie actually didn't show half of the beatings that went down in the book. Overall, the film did an excellent job of capturing the essense of the book and the overall message it wanted to convey.

McQueen should definitely win best director, but I doubt he will in Cac ran Hollywood.

Last edited:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
:yeshrug:care to elaborate? and to save you trouble. I dont feel like taking ass whoopings for being short on your cotton weigh in and giving hints that you were some above average slave intellectually was a mastermind plan of playing it safe until you get your shot at freedom.:yeshrug: clearly didn't and wasn't going to work.

Open a book moron. You sound ignorant as fukk typing this nonsense.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look at the history of Haiti breh...

Instead of jumping into n*ggaz Kool Aid without knowing the flavor, maybe you should of read the whole chain of dialogue BEFORE putting your two cents in.

Had you done that you would of read this prior:

Here is your problem, you want a slave film in which the end result makes YOU feel good, where slave took up arms and overcame without aid of any white man. Newsflash, NONE EXIST in this United States of America. Every slave revolt, or attempted slave result ended up UNSUCCESSFUL and achieved nothing in the end. Django Unchained is a revenge FANTASY and not put on a pedestal as an accurate historical account. It was purposely made as a revenge fantasy to give retribution and honor to slaves that had endured slavery, or fought and died in the name of slavery. But it is not the reality of back then and surely not today!

You want to bring up Nat Turner, which indeed was the biggest slave revort that ever happened on American soil, but you DO know how that ended up. You do understand that it ended up being unsuccessful and made Congress to pass harsher and more cruel laws on slavery. It made matters worse. It's only been romanticized now because it was about a slave that tried to stand up against the slaver, but in order to appreciate that in its fullness you HAVE to understand the cruel realities our people was forced to suffer and contined on suffering well beyond the actual end of slavery.

You asking for a film that makes you FEEL good because you cannot accept the actual REALITY of how it was. 12 Years a Slave was REALITY, unapologetic. That was the life. You saw someone who was ready to fight for his, you see how passive slaves were. That how it WAS. You saw how different an educated free man is from a born into slavery individual and you journeyed through the eyes of someone who thought he was free transform himself ot acceptance of being no different from those of a slave. This is the TRUTH.

Yes, there WERE slave revolts, but none of them were successful. The only successful American slave revolt we had was ALREADY put on film and that's "Armistad" and that was merely on a slave ship, and still had to endure the BS like the rest of the Africans.

We were not TALKING about a slave revolt on foreign land.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
On a lighter note... I know I wasn't the only one checking out that chocolate booty when Patsy was getting the beat's.

I the first time I saw her get whipped I literally almost cried. But once I got over the emotions of it I was literally like, "damn.. she got a nice little bubble for that small frame"

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
On a lighter note... I know I wasn't the only one checking out that chocolate booty when Patsy was getting the beat's.

I the first time I saw her get whipped I literally almost cried. But once I got over the emotions of it I was literally like, "damn.. she got a nice little bubble for that small frame"

:comeon:

:ehh:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Powerful film...

fukked up how he let Patsy suffer like that...fukk all that god shyt, I would have put her out of her misery...

Solomon was also real naive to go down to Washington like that...I don't care how much money they promised, never trust a CAC and never ride with CAC's going south...Those rules still apply to this very day...

Have you ever killed someone before?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok after reading this thread and seeing numerous people call soloman a c00n I have to ask did you watch the movie or follow the plot? First he was not naive at all his friend vouched the men who took him to Washington DC and they even did a few shows so why would he think something was wrong? Also he looked for every advantage he had to escape and at one point he even fought back against an overseer and refused the requests of his masters on numours occasions and got his ass whooped the same as anyone else. His only mistake was trusting that white guy who was picking cotton along with the rest of slaves but for the rest of movie he played it the only way he could. He knew his best bet was getting that letter out and having his family come get him and it worked.

Man...You shouldn't even have to explain this...I believe half those posts are from white boys and who just wanna get online and say whatever they feel like...Hell, Solomon was even plotting a resistance while on the ship..