Just saw 12 Years a Slave

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Long story short. The United States government wanted Florida. Spain ceded Florida to them. As the government started to set up shop, many slave that used Florida as a gateway to freedom either fled to Cuba or Haiti or they stood there ground. Many of the Black Seminoles stood their ground and there were 3 separate wars that went down. The one particular war that John Horse was involved was based upon the government trying to enforce the Indian Removal Act. In the end, John Horse agreed to a BS compromise to give the government what they WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE and had them relocated like the REST of the millions of native americans in sh*tty ass Oklahoma which was a wasteland at the time. All of these so they can be claimed to be "free", yet still a slave to the government and ended up being a government stooge working with them. How the f*ck you go from warring with them to being on THEIR TEAM? Yea, lets talk about that. :rudy:

and to add, this STILL has little to nothing to so with the topic of Slavery itself! Again, there never been a successful SLAVE REVOLT. If you consider that as a "success", then you may we as count "Armistad".

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And we got films of Black men of so-called honor fighting for what they believe is for freedom or truth. We got those type of films like "Glory", and "Buffalo Soldiers", even a film about Harriet Tubman was made. Hollywood have NO QUALMS in telling those type of tells. But to give the god-honest TRUTH of how despicable slave, and how mentally traumatic to exist as chattel, as nothing more as cattle was, that NEVER been put on film.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Long story short. The United States government wanted Florida. Spain ceded Florida to them. As the government started to set up shop, many slave that used Florida as a gateway to freedom either fled to Cuba or Haiti or they stood there ground. Many of the Black Seminoles stood their ground and there were 3 separate wars that went down. The one particular war that John Horse was involved was based upon the government trying to enforce the Indian Removal Act. In the end, John Horse agreed to a BS compromise to give the government what they WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE and had them relocated like the REST of the millions of native americans in sh*tty ass Oklahoma which was a wasteland at the time. All of this so they can be claimed to be "free", yet still a slave to the government and ended up being a government stooge working with them. How the f*ck you go from warring with them to being on THEIR TEAM? Yea, lets talk about that. :rudy:

Actually, John Horse was involved in all of the Seminole Wars of Part II, he even got captured and escaped...went back down there and went to war again for more years until he was granted freedom. Yes the U.S. wanted land but you seem to forget how bad those people wanted their Slaves returned to slavery. John Horse and company was not having it and they never were slaves again.
You can belittle that all you want but I respect any blackman at that time that helped lead a charge against 10 different U.S. Generals, kill thousands of cacs that tested them for over a DECADE. In the end, he did compromise his land for his 'freedom'.
He worked with the U.S. Government just like countless of other blacks that were and have been done wrong by this country. He did not get killed or give up his freedom despite his circumstances...how can you not respect that?

Oh & I think 12 Years a Slave is an excellent film.

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
There are definitely more than two, but they're few and far between. Most of them sanitize Slavery or make it a point to have it from the perspective of a white character. Funny enough the best ones seem to be made by people outside of the U.S.

Films on the Jewish Holocaust though are damn near a genre unto themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_films#1940s

There are over 200 holocaust movies that have been made. Over 70 have been produced right here in the US. I never hear jews say "ah shyt not another Holocaust movie, tired of seeing us put in a oven". Most of these cats saying this are either apathetic and total pets for the white race or even worse: Cacs themselves.

NelsonSwagdela

All Star
Daps
I just wanted a review on the movie not all these crazy cats spewing hateful garbage. What is wrong with some of you? I hope non you actually act like this in real life.

B-Rock Odrama

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This post couldn't be more wrong IMO. Sometimes I think this attitude is the Black counterpart to white denials of slave history. Pretend wrongly that there have been tons of slave movies, which is not true, that they all portray slaves as docile, and that portraying slavery is some kind of emasculating brainwashing. A lot of people seem to be ashamed of the past to admit that we still haven't fully confronted it yet.

nah i'm right on...negros whom promote/enjoy these exploitive and disgusting slave movies are c00ns playing white supremacy...there is little positive that can come from an individual watching hours of their people being dominated and abused by their oppressor with the only resistance if any portrayed is running away..all the American slave movies I've seen virtually all the blacks were portrayed as weak and submissive ..no dignified blackman would want to watch hours his forefathers/mothers being potrayed as the whiteman's bytch......you don't see whitey promoting the days the moors/blackman ruled over them in Europe but a blackman says he's had enough of seeing his people being caste as servants and slaves movies and it's cause he ashamed of his past.:mindblown:

B-Rock Odrama

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Name 5 other slave movies off the top off ur head.

"roots," "12yrs," "good bye uncle tom," "django," and "Lincoln.

but i was referring about the plethora of socalled black films(not only limited to slavery) in which blacks are portrayed in a sub servant relationships with peckawoods

the majority of the most acclaimed by the mainstream black films: "the butler, "colored purple", "driving ms. daisy,etc follow this formula"

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
"roots," "12yrs," "good bye uncle tom," "django," and "Lincoln.

but i was referring about the plethora of socalled black films(not only limited to slavery) in which blacks are portrayed in a sub servant relationships with peckawoods

the majority of the most acclaimed by the mainstream black films: "the butler, "colored purple", "driving ms. daisy,etc follow this formula"

roots was made for tv mini series and you named 12 years.

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
that whipping scene was all done in one long continuous TAKE... :whew:

I just saw this and was thinking about that scene/shot, how they were able to execute.

Overall powerful film tho. The cinematography was damn amazing and complemented how horrific the scenes were. The shots lasted forever I guess to emphasize what you were looking at. Like the shot of him hanging. I tried my hardest to keep my eyes on the screen trying to endure it and expecting it to end soon, but it was too painful to look at for long, especially while listening to the noise of him struggling. There were a lot of shots like that.

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Come on man you know there would never be funding to make an accurate movie about the Moors.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I talked with a "Black" person today who said the movie was :ducktales: Because Black slaves were happy to be on the plantation. No way, would they be happy to be on the plantation if they were treated like this. I was like :comeon: