Just saw 12 Years a Slave

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
weak response breh try again with a real answer
its an honest response. I am not trying to even start something here, you just dont seem that educated on slavery and the impact it had.

There were great resistance movements, etc, but majority of black people that were enslaved were frightened. Then you have those that were born into slavery.

Im really not sure what else you could want from this film, or any film on slavery.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Edit:again WHERE IS THIS MOVIE?!? i don' think you really understand the concept that people were standing up for themselves during those times. Not just Nat Turneragain why isnt this movie made? I still haven't seen a answer to this outside of a video of a director who had to "research" slavery as god damn grown man.

Such a movie could be made, sure, but what you've cited is micro-level resistance that contributed little to nothing to Black people's freedom on the larger level. Most of these revolts were unsuccessful, and most of this resistance just made life a little easier for the slaves rather than substantively changing their conditions. Escape was the only thing that worked, and even that only worked for those individuals and groups willing to take the risk.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
its an honest response. I am not trying to even start something here, you just dont seem that educated on slavery and the impact it had.

There were great resistance movements, etc, but majority of black people that were enslaved were frightened. Then you have those that were born into slavery.

Im really not sure what else you could want from this film, or any film on slavery.
:dwillhuh:

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
Such a movie could be made, sure, but what you've cited is micro-level resistance that contributed little to nothing to Black people's freedom on the larger level. Most of these revolts were unsuccessful, and most of this resistance just made life a little easier for the slaves rather than substantively changing their conditions. Escape was the only thing that worked, and even that only worked for those individuals and groups willing to take the risk.
I get what you saying breh. That's why I originally stated whats wrong with seeing this portrayed?

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
im not

those movies would still show enslavement, would still show pain, and "weakness" as you described it.

Why were those that were enslaved resisting? Why did they bounce? Why didnt they just beat the masters and plantation owners asses and free everyone?
yeah I'm going to go ahead and hit you with another :dwillhuh: a movie about slaves is going to be a movie about slaves. Do you get that? Because I sure do. BUT a 12 years or Django aren't the only stories that can be told. Fact of the matter is there were slaves who rose up, Plotted escapes and actually made it alive and free. There were plenty of Solomons who did what they were supposed/had to do to survive but honestly I don't need to see that. What about showing a man/woman who died for what he believed in? I would honestly rather see a well made movie about Harriet Tubman get major motion picture release than this movie. SInce weakness is a opinion no need to even discuss that.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Edit:again WHERE IS THIS MOVIE?!? i don' think you really understand the concept that people were standing up for themselves during those times. Not just Nat Turneragain why isnt this movie made? I still haven't seen a answer to this outside of a video of a director who had to "research" slavery as god damn grown man.

Here is your problem, you want a slave film in which the end result makes YOU feel good, where slave took up arms and overcame without aid of any white man. Newsflash, NONE EXIST in this United States of America. Every slave revolt, or attempted slave result ended up UNSUCCESSFUL and achieved nothing in the end. Django Unchained is a revenge FANTASY and not put on a pedestal as an accurate historical account. It was purposely made as a revenge fantasy to give retribution and honor to slaves that had endured slavery, or fought and died in the name of slavery. But it is not the reality of back then and surely not today!

You want to bring up Nat Turner, which indeed was the biggest slave revort that ever happened on American soil, but you DO know how that ended up. You do understand that it ended up being unsuccessful and made Congress to pass harsher and more cruel laws on slavery. It made matters worse. It's only been romanticized now because it was about a slave that tried to stand up against the slaver, but in order to appreciate that in its fullness you HAVE to understand the cruel realities our people was forced to suffer and contined on suffering well beyond the actual end of slavery.

You asking for a film that makes you FEEL good because you cannot accept the actual REALITY of how it was. 12 Years a Slave was REALITY, unapologetic. That was the life. You saw someone who was ready to fight for his, you see how passive slaves were. That how it WAS. You saw how different an educated free man is from a born into slavery individual and you journeyed through the eyes of someone who thought he was free transform himself ot acceptance of being no different from those of a slave. This is the TRUTH.

Yes, there WERE slave revolts, but none of them were successful. The only successful American slave revolt we had was ALREADY put on film and that's "Armistad" and that was merely on a slave ship, and still had to endure the BS like the rest of the Africans.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
Here is your problem, you want a slave film in which the end result makes YOU feel good, where slave took up arms and overcame without aid of any white man. Newsflash, NONE EXIST in this United States of America. Every slave revolt, or attempted slave result ended up UNSUCCESSFUL and achieved nothing in the end. Django Unchained is a revenge FANTASY and not put on a pedestal as an accurate historical account. It was purposely made as a revenge fantasy to give retribution and honor to slaves that had endured slavery, or fought and died in the name of slavery. But it is not the reality of back then and surely not today!

You want to bring up Nat Turner, which indeed was the biggest slave revort that ever happened on American soil, but you DO know how that ended up. You do understand that it ended up being unsuccessful and made Congress to pass harsher and more cruel laws on slavery. It made matters worse. It's only been romanticized now because it was about a slave that tried to stand up against the slaver, but in order to appreciate that in its fullness you HAVE to understand the cruel realities our people was forced to suffer and contined on suffering well beyond the actual end of slavery.

You asking for a film that makes you FEEL good because you cannot accept the actual REALITY of how it was. 12 Years a Slave was REALITY, unapologetic. That was the life. You saw someone who was ready to fight for his, you see how passive slaves were. That how it WAS. You saw how different an educated free man is from a born into slavery individual and you journeyed through the eyes of someone who thought he was free transform himself ot acceptance of being no different from those of a slave. This is the TRUTH.

Yes, there WERE slave revolts, but none of them were successful. The only successful American slave revolt we had was ALREADY put on film and that's "Armistad" and that was merely on a slave ship, and still had to endure the BS like the rest of the Africans.

yeah I'm going to go ahead and hit you with another :dwillhuh: a movie about slaves is going to be a movie about slaves. Do you get that? Because I sure do. BUT a 12 years or Django aren't the only stories that can be told. Fact of the matter is there were slaves who rose up, Plotted escapes and actually made it alive and free. There were plenty of Solomons who did what they were supposed/had to do to survive but honestly I don't need to see that. What about showing a man/woman who died for what he believed in? I would honestly rather see a well made movie about Harriet Tubman get major motion picture release than this movie. SInce weakness is a opinion no need to even discuss that.
stop it breh. Like I said before I can have a opinion on what I want to see. You want to see a movie about a slave getting treated like a slave? cool. I rather see a slave movie about somebody standing up for himself. If you can't comprehend that simple concept I don't know what to tell you. I never said the movie had to "end happy" nor did I say it didn't have to have whites because that's unrealistic. All I really said enough with the movies showing us in a completely weak perspective when thats not the case at all. Did people die. Yes. Were people tortured? Yes? Did I say the movie I would like to see couldn't contain this imagery? no. So why not just agree to disagree and stop quoting me with nonsense on my opinion?

Last edited:

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps

Nat Turner actually isn't the largest Slave Revolt and certainly wasn't the most successful.

John Horse and the Seminole Indians (Negro War) is about as close as @BdaBo$$ is going to get. I really want to see a movie of that. They fought 10 U.S. Generals to a stand still...signed their freedom papers and moved westward.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nat Turner actually isn't the largest Slave Revolt and certainly wasn't the most successful.

John Horse and the Seminole Indians (Negro War) is about as close as @BdaBo$$ is going to get. I really want to see a movie of that. They fought 10 U.S. Generals to a stand still...signed their freedom papers and moved westward.

I was just about to post this, the fact that dude swore up and down his opinion was fact is the result of all these slave movies mentally conditioning people and why other stories need to be made to undo the molding off our image by hollywood.

Not to mention what about Fredrick Douglas, where is his movie, his story is an important piece in American History, yet they don't even make his
autobiography apart of our education system.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Do you REALLY want to tell the story of John Horse, who wasn't an American slave to begin with and was COMPLICIT in forcing the Seminoles to relocate from their homelands to Oklahoma??? You mean THAT story? Yea, the Seminoles and the U.S. did go to war, and yes, dude ended up being an U.S. ARMY SCOUT. But you want to talk about an isolated, and completely different circumstance verses you actual born and bred slave surviving in a plantation like they are cattle. That was NOT a slave revolt. Dude NEGOTIATED with the United States which got his "people" to move to sh*tty OKLAHOMA....

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if ANYTHING the dude you mentioned was a SELL-OUT. conceded to that indian removal act. and ended up working WITH the government in the end. yet you want that "proud" story to be told???

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
:stopitslime:Yea, I want to talk about John Horse and that blackman wrecked shop against the U.S. Government for about a decade...and also freed plenty of slaves himself (through revolts) who also became Seminoles. Set up trade shops for ammunition, farming and civilizations. Those wars put the U.S. Government in millions of debt and they still couldn't kill him. He warred with other Indian tribes because cacs were dying trying to uproot them.

The term Seminole itself means 'runaway' so if you think that the Seminoles didn't consist of 'runaway' slaves then you are sadly mistaken. He did negotiate his people to move in the Trail of Tears, that was only after years of Wars and becoming pinched up against the coast of Florida. Dude was a U.S. Scout and birthed the "Buffalo Soldiers" that are cherished in our Black History today.:myman:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:stopitslime:Yea, I want to talk about John Horse and that blackman wrecked shop against the U.S. Government for about a decade...and also freed plenty of slaves himself (through revolts) who also became Seminoles. Set up trade shops for ammunition, farming and civilizations. Those wars put the U.S. Government in millions of debt and they still couldn't kill him. He warred with other Indian tribes because cacs were dying trying to uproot them.

The term Seminole itself means 'runaway' so if you think that the Seminoles didn't consist of 'runaway' slaves then you are sadly mistaken. He did negotiate his people to move in the Trail of Tears, that was only after years of Wars and becoming pinched up against the coast of Florida. Dude was a U.S. Scout and birthed the "Buffalo Soldiers" that are cherished in our Black History today.:myman:

Long story short. The United States government wanted Florida. Spain ceded Florida to them. As the government started to set up shop, many slave that used Florida as a gateway to freedom either fled to Cuba or Haiti or they stood there ground. Many of the Black Seminoles stood their ground and there were 3 separate wars that went down. The one particular war that John Horse was involved was based upon the government trying to enforce the Indian Removal Act. In the end, John Horse agreed to a BS compromise to give the government what they WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE and had them relocated like the REST of the millions of native americans in sh*tty ass Oklahoma which was a wasteland at the time. All of this so they can be claimed to be "free", yet still a slave to the government and ended up being a government stooge working with them. How the f*ck you go from warring with them to being on THEIR TEAM? Yea, lets talk about that. :rudy: