Just saw 12 Years a Slave

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah already addressed that. Thats why I said I thought he was about to actually do something to gain his freedom other than keep his head down.

:patrice: I'm getting this vibe that ya'll believe that this is the only type of story that can be funded and told about slavery. I get that this was a autobio, as I stated before I don't care. I get many movies haven't been made about this topic. Again, I dont care.The whole sensitivity angle is :comeon: status as well my friend I leave this thread alone after this. Movie was based around 1840-50's.
no movie though:patrice:
:patrice:cant tell me that these stories would be the same as the 12 years portrayal. Or that these brothers and siters cared about their "chances of survival" being in those times. This is what I refer to as strength. Not that weak character we saw in the film. But then again this is the story the director went with or got allowed to make shall I say. But then again when I see that brad pitts character was from canada coupled with this song at that funeral scene. shyt really got to me

"row jodan row,
row jordan row,
my soul will rise in heaven lord
the year that jordan rows

the very next scene you seen homey and brad working on that house. Why does any of this matter.?

I posted all that to say thats to say its pretty clear the movie had other meanings and messages. But the director had to read or at least hear about that William Still book, but chose this route :patrice:. Again I'm good on these type of movies.

this is why he made this film...

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
After seeing it I'm actually really fukking pissed off by how many critics and other people I've seen try and spin that shyt as Epps "Loving" Patsey. He didn't love her, he just fetishsized her, anybody trying to spin that as love in any way shape or form is fukked in the head.

this, its the same thing with like how lots of people view Detroit. The whole city is so taboo and so ruinous that it is now fetishized like its the Gaza Strip, or places like it. Epps didn't love Patsy he fetishized her and loved to impose his WILL upon her. Not to mention he loved to break her down because she was his "best". Some one said it like loving a car toy built from the the ground up. But its not the same, that is pride.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
My word :wow:

The hype is justified.

Brehs, I just saw 12 Years a Slave tonight. Words cannot explain the awesomeness of that movie. I just cannot :wow:

One of the most amazing films ever. I think the homie Steve McQueen is gonna get an Oscar. He the one :lupe:

Chiwetel Ejiofor too :ohlawd:

What a movie. Michael Fassbender :wow:

Best movie ive seen all year. This generation's Roots.

It should win a lot of Oscars. Not just for the acting and direction. The cinematography. The detail. I have not many words to say.

Just saw this 2 days ago...great freaking movie...

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Brehs, I just saw this film tonight and was completely blown away. Tried to see it in the morning and the fukking theatre on 125th street was packed. Had to go see it on 86th street later in the night where it was less crowded

With that said, McQueen earned himself an oscar nod with this one and thensome. The imagery was brutal but accurate in the film and that along with the dialogue just had me feeling angry about what went down during slavery.

Even tho this was a Hollywood film it makes you wonder how truly demonic these slave owner/traders were. I wish I was able to remember the dialogue verbatim because the slave owners/overseers had some fukking crazy mouthpieces on them (even the wives). The word "******" back then was literally what the word "like" is today. Saying that shyt was on par with breathing it seemed.

I'd totally go see the film again and told everyone in my circle to get their asses out and see it.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
i need to see this.. i love the title and i know its gonna be great.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
great film.

the subtle dialogue was the most powerful thing for me.

When the first slave master gave him that violin for being a good slave and told him "May it bring BOTH of us happiness for YEARS" that really solidified the utter hopelessly and despair of their situation. There was no escape and everything they did in some way was to benefit the slave master...powerful shyt man.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
White people just can't help themselves (the Onion)
NSFW

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
White people just can't help themselves (the Onion)
NSFW

:russ: hilarious because its so true. This is how they really see a lot of movies with black actors. All in one big group like its the same genre and everything

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
great film.

the subtle dialogue was the most powerful thing for me.

When the first slave master gave him that violin for being a good slave and told him "May it bring BOTH of us happiness for YEARS" that really solidified the utter hopelessly and despair of their situation. There was no escape and everything they did in some way was to benefit the slave master...powerful shyt man.
where they openly discussed raping that girl's daughter :wow:

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
:yeshrug:care to elaborate? and to save you trouble. I dont feel like taking ass whoopings for being short on your cotton weigh in and giving hints that you were some above average slave intellectually was a mastermind plan of playing it safe until you get your shot at freedom.:yeshrug: clearly didn't and wasn't going to work.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:yeshrug:care to elaborate? and to save you trouble. I dont feel like taking ass whoopings for being short on your cotton weigh in and giving hints that you were some above average slave intellectually was a mastermind plan of playing it safe until you get your shot at freedom.:yeshrug: clearly didn't and wasn't going to work.
i think your problem is that you dont fully understand antebellum slavery. You should read a book.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
i think your problem is that you dont fully understand antebellum slavery. You should read a book.
weak response breh try again with a real answer

Edit:again WHERE IS THIS MOVIE?!? i don' think you really understand the concept that people were standing up for themselves during those times. Not just Nat Turner
While most slaves were concentrated on the plantations, there were many slaves living in urban areas or working in rural industry. Although over 90% of American slaves lived in rural areas, slaves made up at least 20% of the populations of most Southern cities. In Charleston, South Carolina, slaves and free blacks outnumbered whites. Many slaves living in cities worked as domestics, but others worked as blacksmiths, carpenters, shoemakers, bakers, or other tradespeople. Often, slaves were hired out by their masters, for a day or up to several years. Sometimes slaves were allowed to hire themselves out. Urban slaves had more freedom of movement than plantation slaves and generally had greater opportunities for learning. They also had increased contact with free black people, who often expanded their ways of thinking about slavery.

Slaves resisted their treatment in innumerable ways. They slowed down their work pace, disabled machinery, feigned sickness, destroyed crops. They argued and fought with their masters and overseers. Many stole livestock, other food, or valuables. Some learned to read and write, a practice forbidden by law. Some burned forests and buildings. Others killed their masters outright -- some by using weapons, others by putting poison in their food. Some slaves comitted suicide or mutilated themselves to ruin their property value. Subtly or overtly, enslaved African Americans found ways to sabotage the system in which they lived.
Thousands of slaves ran away. Some left the plantation for days or weeks at a time and lived in hiding. Others formed maroon communities in mountains, forests or swamps. Many escaped to the North. There were also numerous instances of slave revolts throughout the history of the institution.
(For one white interpretation of slave resistance, see Diseases and Peculiarities of the Negro Race) Even when slaves acted in a subservient manner, they were often practicing a type of resistance. By fooling the master or overseer with their behavior, they resisted additional ill treatment.

Enslaved African Americans also resisted by forming community within the plantation setting. This was a tremendous undertaking for people whose lives were ruled by domination and forced labor. Slaves married, had children, and worked hard to keep their families together. In their quarters they were able to let down the masks they had to wear for whites. There, black men, women, and children developed an underground culture through which they affirmed their humanity. They gathered in the evenings to tell stories, sing, and make secret plans. House servants would come down from the "big house" and give news of the master and mistress, or keep people laughing with their imitations of the whites.

It was in their quarters that many enslaved people developed and passed down skills which allowed them to supplement their poor diet and inadequatemedical care with hunting, fishing, gathering wild food, and herbal medicines. There, the adults taught their children how to hide their feelings to escape punishment and to be skeptical of anything a white person said. Many slave parents told their children that blacks were superior to white people, who were lazy and incapable of running things properly.
again why isnt this movie made? I still haven't seen a answer to this outside of a video of a director who had to "research" slavery as god damn grown man.

Last edited: