Just saw 12 Years a Slave

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
I glad I can read opinions here considering imdb was starting to piss me off with the usual,"get over it, the holocaust was much worse and recent, b b but blacks owned slaves too".
If anybody comes at you with that bullshyt again tell them that over 150,000 jews served in Hitler's military

...and then tell them to kiss ya black ass.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
praised for what? figures about the brad pitt part

Praised for being a good film and being an honest portrayal of Slavery. Most major Hollywood releases sanitize the fukk out of slavery to make the films palatable for white folks. The performances in the film have been praised also.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
Praised for being a good film and being an honest portrayal of Slavery. Most major Hollywood releases sanitize the fukk out of slavery to make the films palatable for white folks. The performances in the film have been praised also.
Well I could see that, I actually agree I just don't care given the story makes blacks look so weak. Im just not trying to see that portrayal of slavery anymore. Maybe these movies were made and I havent seen em though.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I could see that, I actually agree I just don't care given the story makes blacks look so weak. Im just not trying to see that portrayal of slavery anymore. Maybe these movies were made and I havent seen em though.

There aren't even that many films on the topic of Slavery to begin with (which was gone over in this thread before). 12 Years a Slave is one of the best ones by far and it's based on an actual story. I don't agree that Northrup looked weak in the film at all. He was doing everything he could think of to survive and get back to his family.

*edit*

And i'm not entirely sure on what you expect from a film based on an Autobiography. Any film that's focus on American Slavery and is based on things that actually happen is gonna have black folks (including the main character) enslaved an going through some horrific shyt. Even if a film a about Nat Turner is made they'd still have to address the fact that he was caught and kiled along with his followers.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
There aren't even that many films on the topic of Slavery to begin with (which was gone over in this thread before). 12 Years a Slave is one of the best ones by far and it's based on an actual story. I don't agree that Northrup looked weak in the film at all. He was doing everything he could think of to survive and get back to his family.
:patrice:he really didnt do anything to get back to his family breh. approached two white men for help in 12 years. My god I can't believe you think that man didn't look weak

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
:patrice:he really didnt do anything to get back to his family breh. approached two white men for help in 12 years. My god I can't believe you think that man didn't look weak

He also put the beats on a cac and whipped him, with his own whip...but that don't count though :rudy:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Historical context. You looking at it from the perspective of a man who is legally free and doesn't live in a society with THAT level of White Supremacy.

Even by the standards of that time frame he was unlawfully enslaved because he was legally a free man. He had more options that those born into slavery because there were people who could verify his identity and come get him (which is exactly what happened) Running away would have lead to him being maimed or killed. Also keep in mind he was in an area he wasn't familiar with so the chances of him finding his way home without being caught were slim to none.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

No offense, but I think that your own sensitivity or insecurity about how we are portrayed. We, collectively, hate it when we appear victimized, despite the fact that what happened back then as absolutely, the unapologetic truth. And this was a story told from purely the perspective and point of view of black slaves 100%, 90% being directly from Solomon's eyes who VIEWED himself as a strong black man, yet naive of the black man's actual plight and you journey with him on how he deconstructed his mental state into acceptance of being nothing but a slave.

It's an uncomfortable FACT, but must be told. White people have never have an issue when it comes to highlighting and putting in peoples faces of their so-called struggles. Jews, especially, will constantly throw the Holocaust in our faces and take pride of the strength and endurance during a small time period of their lives and promote the motto "Never Forget". Yet, we have a problem telling folks that THIS is how inhumane the white people use to be against the African. And this is the strong will of a people had to go through just to SURVIVE.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
He also put the beats on a cac and whipped him, with his own whip...but that don't count though :rudy:

Yeah already addressed that. Thats why I said I thought he was about to actually do something to gain his freedom other than keep his head down.

No offense, but I think that your own sensitivity or insecurity about how we are portrayed. We, collectively, hate it when we appear victimized, despite the fact that what happened back then as absolutely, the unapologetic truth. And this was a story told from purely the perspective and point of view of black slaves 100%, 90% being directly from Solomon's eyes who VIEWED himself as a strong black man, yet naive of the black man's actual plight and you journey with him on how he deconstructed his mental state into acceptance of being nothing but a slave.

It's an uncomfortable FACT, but must be told. White people have never have an issue when it comes to highlighting and putting in peoples faces of their so-called struggles. Jews, especially, will constantly throw the Holocaust in our faces and take pride of the strength and endurance during a small time period of their lives and promote the motto "Never Forget". Yet, we have a problem telling folks that THIS is how inhumane the white people use to be against the African. And this is the strong will of a people had to go through just to SURVIVE.

Historical context. You looking at it from the perspective of a man who is legally free and doesn't live in a society with THAT level of White Supremacy.

Even by the standards of that time frame he was unlawfully enslaved because he was legally a free man. He had more options that those born into slavery because there were people who could verify his identity and come get him (which is exactly what happened) Running away would have lead to him being maimed or killed. Also keep in mind he was in an area he wasn't familiar with so the chances of him finding his way home without being caught were slim to none.
:patrice: I'm getting this vibe that ya'll believe that this is the only type of story that can be funded and told about slavery. I get that this was a autobio, as I stated before I don't care. I get many movies haven't been made about this topic. Again, I dont care.The whole sensitivity angle is :comeon: status as well my friend I leave this thread alone after this. Movie was based around 1840-50's.
The Underground Railroad Records is a 1872 book by William Still. It is subtitled A record of facts, authentic narratives, letters, &c., narrating the hardships, hair-breadth escapes and death struggles of the slaves in their efforts for freedom, as related by themselves and others, or witnessed by the author; together with sketches of some of the largest stockholders, and most liberal aiders and advisers, of the road

It chronicles the stories and methods of some 649 slaves who escaped to freedom via the Underground Railroad. Still,[1] known as the father of the Underground Railroad, used his detailed documentation of those he helped to escape in the Underground Railroad Records. While working with the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society, Still worked with a fugitive slave who, he eventually realized, was his long-lost brother.
no movie though:patrice:
The Underground Railroad was a network of secret routes and safe houses used by 19th-century blackslaves in the United States to escape to free states and Canada with the aid of abolitionists and allies who were sympathetic to their cause.[2] The term is also applied to the abolitionists, both black and white, free and enslaved, who aided the fugitives.[3] Various other routes led to Mexico or overseas.[4]While an "underground railroad" running south toward Florida, then a Spanish possession, existed from the late 17th century until shortly after the American Revolution,[5] the network now generally known as the Underground Railroad was formed in the early 19th century, and reached its height between 1850 and 1860.[6] One estimate suggests that by 1850, 100,000 slaves had escaped via the "Railroad".[6]British North America (present-day Canada), where slavery was prohibited, was a popular destination, as its long border gave many points of access
:patrice:cant tell me that these stories would be the same as the 12 years portrayal. Or that these brothers and siters cared about their "chances of survival" being in those times. This is what I refer to as strength. Not that weak character we saw in the film. But then again this is the story the director went with or got allowed to make shall I say. But then again when I see that brad pitts character was from canada coupled with this song at that funeral scene. shyt really got to me

"row jodan row,
row jordan row,
my soul will rise in heaven lord
the year that jordan rows

the very next scene you seen homey and brad working on that house. Why does any of this matter.?

To reduce the risk of infiltration, many people associated with the Underground Railroad knew only their part of the operation and not of the whole scheme. There were the "conductors" who ultimately moved the runaways from station to station. The "conductor" would sometimes pretend to be a slave to enter a plantation. Once a part of a plantation, the "conductor" would direct the runaways to the North. Slaves would travel at night, about 10–20 miles (15–30 km) to each station. They would stop at the so-called "stations" or "depots" during the day and rest. The stations were out of the way places like barns. While resting at one station, a message was sent to the next station to let the station master know the runaways were on their way.

The resting spots where the runaways could sleep and eat were given the code names "stations" and "depots" which were held by "station masters". There were also those known as "stockholders" who gave money or supplies for assistance. Using biblical references, fugitives referred to Canada as the "Promised Land" and the Ohio River as the "River Jordan", which marked the boundary between slave states and free states.[15]

I posted all that to say thats to say its pretty clear the movie had other meanings and messages. But the director had to read or at least hear about that William Still book, but chose this route :patrice:. Again I'm good on these type of movies.

Last edited: