Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
I liked Django, but the more I think about it, the more I think that movie did more harm than good when it comes to people's perception of slavery. wish fulfillment can be more damaging than the truth, especially when it comes to something like slavery

Could be.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
McQueen said the film is about love (which I get) but Fassbender was the one I remember saying Epps loved Patsey. All he did was spare her an occasional beating and rape her. Even when his psycho bytch wife knocked her out he acted like he didn't give a shyt.

picking 200 lbs of cotton and still getting her ass whooped and all she wanted was some soap. :wow:

just give her the damn soap :sadbron:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked Django, but the more I think about it, the more I think that movie did more harm than good when it comes to people's perception of slavery. wish fulfillment can be more damaging than the truth, especially when it comes to something like slavery

I said as much earlier in the thread that a lot of people were gonna end up looking stupid for praising Django as showing the true horrors of slavery and the impact it had. Even this film (as authentic as it was) didn't show the full scope of things (like how horrific the trans atlantic trip was for Africans).

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
picking 200 lbs of cotton and still getting her ass whooped and all she wanted was some soap. :wow:

just give her the damn soap :sadbron:

Before that point she was avoiding the beatings, she caught that one because she took the soap because she wanted to be clean.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the one thing that was so brilliant about this film is that yes, you had the outright shocking moments, but there were a lot of little, subtle moments that you don't notice at first but then think back on after watching the film that end up horrifying you

prime example is that little black girl that Epps was holding and promising to get her candy. seemed like a throwaway scene until you realize that she'll end up being his next victim once he's done with Patsey

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Before that point she was avoiding the beatings, she caught that one because she took the soap because she wanted to be clean.

How fukked was that one scene though when the white picker only picked 68 lbs and was told to do better. Soloman only picked like a 100 and something and still got his ass whooped. That shyt made me all types mad. I got it but damn was that ever fukked up.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the one thing that was so brilliant about this film is that yes, you had the outright shocking moments, but there were a lot of little, subtle moments that you don't notice at first but then think back on after watching the film that end up horrifying you

prime example is that little black girl that Epps was holding and promising to get her candy. seemed like a throwaway scene until you realize that she'll end up being his next victim once he's done with Patsey

I caught that shyt immediately. That's also part of why I'm so mad at people talking about his character "loved" Patsy.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps

damn I wonder if your right. I just saw him as being nice to children so he would have a loyal worker later on but she very well could end up like patsy.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How fukked was that one scene though when the white picker only picked 68 lbs and was told to do better. Soloman only picked like a 100 and something and still got his ass whooped. That shyt made me all types mad. I got it but damn was that ever fukked up.

I was way more upset about the scene where they separated ole girl from her children.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
damn I wonder if your right. I just saw him as being nice to children so he would have a loyal worker later on but she very well could end up like patsy.

He didn't give a fukk about their loyalty. He operated purely on instilling fear in people. The simple fact that he'd beat them for not making quota or that scene where he worked the one dude to death and then just kicked him and told him to get back to work.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Lupita Nyong’o is incredible. Her, Fassbender and Ejiofor would all be deserving of Academy Awards this year.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh and I swear to fukking god if Ejiofor doesn't win the best actor Oscar for this movie I'm a lose my shyt. Same goes of McQueen for best director and Ridley for best screenplay.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
He didn't give a fukk about their loyalty. He operated purely on instilling fear in people. The simple fact that he'd beat them for not making quota or that scene where he worked the one dude to death and then just kicked him and told him to get back to work.

He was unpredictable I give you that.