Just saw 12 Years a Slave

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
By your definition he is an Uncle tom but so was every character who was not killed outright for there defiance of being a slave. Also this is the early 1800's in america the amount of freedom he experienced and the white people he delt with made him believe that the law would help him because at that point the law kept him from being enslaved.( I am getting this all from the movie I have yet to read the book). I do not think you can place your definition of Uncle Tom on Soloman just because he had no other options and he is forced to act a certain way towards whites because it is even stated in the laws at the time.

So by your definition he is an Uncle Tom but would you have acted any differently given that situation?

You are partially right in regards of the rest of the slave people in this film. The only true person who defied being a slave was Michael K. Williams character. He died because nobody else had his back because of what Clemons (who ended up being a sell-out) said about "******s don't have the stomach to fight" which is reflective to how black americans as a society are today. But I call Solomon specifically an Uncle Tom because he was actually clueless or in denial of his reality, before as well as initially as a slave. He really believe he was in equal standing as the white man.

You have to understand that everything, virtually everything in the behavior of black people today is rooted in slavery.

EDIT: To answer your question, I'll take certain death than to conform to a slave as a slave.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
You are partially right in regards of the rest of the slave people in this film. The only true person who defied being a slave was Michael K. Williams character. He died because nobody else had his back because of what Clemons (who ended up being a sell-out) said about "******s don't have the stomach to fight" which is reflective to how black americans as a society are today. But I call Solomon specifically an Uncle Tom because he was actually clueless or in denial of his reality, before as well as initially as a slave. He really believe he was in equal standing as the white man.

You have to understand that everything, virtually everything in the behavior of black people today is rooted in slavery.

EDIT: To answer your question, I'll take certain death than to conform to a slave as a slave.

Omar died trying to defend a woman from being raped so them having his back had nothing really to with how he died. But if you think Soloman was an uncle tom there is nothing i can say to change your mind. I just saw him as a man that was caught up in slavery and was looking for a way out (and the white people were his only way out) alive. He did trust one white man but it was not american but he was desperate and had to take the chances when he saw them.

And like you with the way I think now I would have died then to become a slave but my ancestors did not and for that I am here today so I tend not to place modern day mentality to what happened in the past.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Man I'm seeing this in the morning. My PAWG texted me that she saw it and wanted to discuss it when I saw it myself. She sent a unintelligible text about crying in the theater and her initial impression was that there is no god. I was like :ld: But I guess I gotta see it first.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
incredible film

Epps and Patsey's "relationship" reminded me of Amon Goeth and his Jewish servant in Schindler's List

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whenever the topic of slavery comes up there's always one dude on that "fukk that I woulda killed them cacs, staged a revolt, and fukked the masters wife in front of him" bullshyt.

People overlook that Slavery wasn't just a physical abuse but an emotional and psychological abuse also. The system that was in place at that time was designed entirely to oppress black people. It wasn't just as simple as running away or killing your captives. If you killed a white man back in those days they'd hunt your down and brutally murder you. Nat Turner had numbers on his side and they still got him and his people because white folks were relentless when it came to defending white supremacy. So to say that Solomon Northup was an c00n because he did almost whatever it took to survive and played to his strengths (By all accounts he was an intellectual) shows a lack of perspective for the time period in which this took place.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
incredible film

Epps and Patsey's "relationship" reminded me of Amon Goeth and his Jewish servant in Schindler's List

After seeing it I'm actually really fukking pissed off by how many critics and other people I've seen try and spin that shyt as Epps "Loving" Patsey. He didn't love her, he just fetishsized her, anybody trying to spin that as love in any way shape or form is fukked in the head.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whenever the topic of slavery comes up there's always one dude on that "fukk that I woulda killed them cacs, staged a revolt, and fukked the masters wife in front of him" bullshyt.

People overlook that Slavery wasn't just a physical abuse but an emotional and psychological abuse also. The system that was in place at that time was designed entirely to oppress black people. It wasn't just as simple as running away or killing your captives. If you killed a white man back in those days they'd hunt your down and brutally murder you. Nat Turner had numbers on his side and they still got him and his people because white folks were relentless when it came to defending white supremacy. So to say that Solomon Northup was an c00n because he did almost whatever it took to survive and played to his strengths (By all accounts he was an intellectual) shows a lack of perspective for the time period in which this took place.

yeah, people calling him a coon are clearly looking at things from a 21st century perspective, not understanding how much slavery was as much a mental oppression as it was physical. it was similar to abused wives who can't leave their husbands because the mental grip is too strong.

plus him standing up to Paul Dano's character and whooping his ass in the process was more of a bold move than what the majority of the people in here calling him a punk would do

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After seeing it I'm actually really fukking pissed off by how many critics and other people I've seen try and spin that shyt as Epps "Loving" Patsey. He didn't love her, he just fetishsized her, anybody trying to spin that as love in any way shape or form is fukked in the head.

I've actually seen Fassbender and McQueen themselves call it "love" in some of their interviews which left me :wtf:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps

I just do not understand how he could have been a c00n or uncle tom when he sure as hell showed no love towards t the slave owners nor did he beg and plead not be beaten when it happened to him often.

But because this was not django he was a c00n.

whatever.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
on a side note was anyone else reminded of this scene

when Solomon beat Paul Dano's ass? He even made the same noises :russ:

Last edited:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just do not understand how he could have been a c00n or uncle tom when he sure as hell showed no love towards t the slave owners nor did he beg and plead not be beaten when it happened to him often.

But because this was not django he was a c00n.

whatever.

I liked Django, but the more I think about it, the more I think that movie did more harm than good when it comes to people's perception of slavery. wish fulfillment can be more damaging than the truth, especially when it comes to something like slavery

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've actually seen Fassbender and McQueen themselves call it "love" in some of their interviews which left me :wtf:

McQueen said the film is about love (which I get) but Fassbender was the one I remember saying Epps loved Patsey. All he did was spare her an occasional beating and rape her. Even when his psycho bytch wife knocked her out he acted like he didn't give a shyt.