Just saw 12 Years a Slave

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man fukk what you talking about breh. Film was 2 hours of a slave being a slave until a white boy helped him out. Certain death my ass, one white guy with a gun when yall 10 deep?:upsetfavre:. But he aint have no problem whopping that one dudes ass for trying to play him. Scary ass c00n :yeshrug:rather beat a friend than die with some dignity.

you say that as if if the police comes in and lock you up, you going to go out nat turner style. :stopitslime:

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
From what I've been reading and hearing 12 years a slave is the first film to get a major release in the U.S. that truly shows what Slavery was like. There's no sugar coating for white folks. In fact it seems as if white folks are being traumatized by this movie.

And you're dead ass right about there not being many major movies about slavery (especially in comparison to films about the jewish holocaust). The few films about slavery that are out there are very much from the white perspective and always make it a point to have a sympathetic white character.

Roots??

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
In all fairness bruh you simply CANNOT say what particular mindset you would've had during that time period and under those circumstances. It's nice to think that we all might've been Nat Turner status (I've had similar thoughts/feelings myself) but the sad, cold, soul-crushing TRUTH of the matter is that experiencing bondage and slavery in such a fashion as to break your very spirit it is unlikely you would've done much more than Solomon. Solomon was an educated negro from the north who had NEVER encountered such evil tyranny in his life. Was it incredibly stupid and naive for him to travel with two Cacs down south? Absolutely. But hindsight is 20/20. Was it incredibly naive of Emmit Till to whistle at a white woman while down south? Was it naive of Trayvon Martin to be walking alone through the neighborhood with a hoodie on? Was it naive of that black guy who was running towards the cops for help when they opened fire on him and killed him? A lot of fatal mistakes have been made by our people over the course of recorded history when it comes to dealing with Cacs. Which is an unfortunate fact
Fair points and I feel you my dude, none of us know how we truthfully would of acted...I thank the heavens I never had to experience anything like that but I know myself and that's all I can go by...I will always choose death over yes massa because life as a servant to me ain't worth living at all...

Anyways just because Solomon never encountered slavery up north doesn't mean he was blinded to it. He was an educated man and everyone knew what was going on down south. He saw how that one brother who walked into the shop looked at him all bewildered cuz he never seen a free black man before let alone a free black family...Solomon had an idea of what was going on but he always trusted the white devil would view him differently hence his naivety...

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Ok after reading this thread and seeing numerous people call soloman a c00n I have to ask did you watch the movie or follow the plot? First he was not naive at all his friend vouched the men who took him to Washington DC and they even did a few shows so why would he think something was wrong? Also he looked for every advantage he had to escape and at one point he even fought back against an overseer and refused the requests of his masters on numours occasions and got his ass whooped the same as anyone else. His only mistake was trusting that white guy who was picking cotton along with the rest of slaves but for the rest of movie he played it the only way he could. He knew his best bet was getting that letter out and having his family come get him and it worked.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok after reading this thread and seeing numerous people call soloman a c00n I have to ask did you watch the movie or follow the plot? First he was not naive at all his friend vouched the men who took him to Washington DC and they even did a few shows so why would he think something was wrong? Also he looked for every advantage he had to escape and at one point he even fought back against an overseer and refused the requests of his masters on numours occasions and got his ass whooped the same as anyone else. His only mistake was trusting that white guy who was picking cotton along with the rest of slaves but for the rest of movie he played it the only way he could. He knew his best bet was getting that letter out and having his family come get him and it worked.

You sounding like Solomon was talking when he was talking to Clemons when he 1st got kidnapped. He was clearly naive in even assuming his white "friend" vouched for those con men. His issue was his blind trust to white people in general. He even trusted Ford and tried to kiss his ass in believing Ford would set him free being sympathetic of a so-called "misunderstanding", and ol' girl, Eliza, dropped a gem on him saying he's living in fantasy land if he believes that shyt. Dude even trusted and gave money to a drunkard former overseer because he thought he would trust him. By close to the end, dude reacted the same way that sell-out Clemons reacted when he ran out the ferry running to his Master Roy giving two f*cks about the rest of y'al. Solomon when he saw the store owner and the town sheriff, he was about the shoot those deuces the same way Clemons did until Patsy reminded him who he's leaving behind. Even when he tried to escaped, that dude got shooked. All that talk about fighting to LIVE, he ended up doing just what Clemons told him, he ended up fighting to survive, and almost gave up his will to even fight anymore had it not been for Bass.

By the closing of the film, he even tried to have faith in the JUDICIAL system and got him nowhere. The only white person he actually stood up against was Tibeats, and that's because he assumed Ford would have his back with all the ass kissing he was dishing to him.

Dude was a straight up Uncle Tom. Maybe not by the end, but definitely at the start of the film. He viewed himself as a white man and didn't really care about slavery until he became a slave himself. That store flashback scene pretty much exposed that.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
You sounding like Solomon was talking when he was talking to Clemons when he 1st got kidnapped. He was clearly naive in even assuming his white "friend" vouched for those con men. His issue was his blind trust to white people in general. He even trusted Ford and tried to kiss his ass in believing Ford would set him free being sympathetic of a so-called "misunderstanding", and ol' girl, Eliza, dropped a gem on him saying he's living in fantasy land if he believes that shyt. Dude even trusted and gave money to a drunkard former overseer because he thought he would trust him. By close to the end, dude reacted the same way that sell-out Clemons reacted when he ran out the ferry running to his Master Roy giving two f*cks about the rest of y'al. Solomon when he saw the store owner and the town sheriff, he was about the shoot those deuces the same way Clemons did until Patsy reminded him who he's leaving behind. Even when he tried to escaped, that dude got shooked. All that talk about fighting to LIVE, he ended up doing just what Clemons told him, he ended up fighting to survive, and almost gave up his will to even fight anymore had it not been for Bass.

By the closing of the film, he even tried to have faith in the JUDICIAL system and got him nowhere. The only white person he actually stood up against was Tibeats, and that's because he assumed Ford would have his back with all the ass kissing he was dishing to him.

Dude was a straight up Uncle Tom. Maybe not by the end, but definitely at the start of the film. He viewed himself as a white man and didn't really care about slavery until he became a slave himself. That store flashback scene pretty much exposed that.

That same dude who introduced him to the kidnappers was the same one who came and got him so he was his friend. And there was no blind trust in white people he believed in the law because the law was the only thing that was going to set him free. He only told ford when it looks like he was about to die after being half lynched for hours at that point he had nothing to lose as he was being sold anyway. And after that sad story the drunk told he did the christian thing and believed that he changed his ways (he said he was no longer a drunk). And of course he was shook of escaping there a slave catchers who go out and catch you beat you and damn near kill you before you are returned and beaten again. Soloman had no love for these slave owners nor did kiss up to them he did what he did to survive and fought back when he could take no more and got beat for it. And it seems to me he went the judicial route because it was his only path of recourse.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That same dude who introduced him to the kidnappers was the same one who came and got him so he was his friend. And there was no blind trust in white people he believed in the law because the law was the only thing that was going to set him free. He only told ford when it looks like he was about to die after being half lynched for hours at that point he had nothing to lose as he was being sold anyway. And after that sad story the drunk told he did the christian thing and believed that he changed his ways (he said he was no longer a drunk). And of course he was shook of escaping there a slave catchers who go out and catch you beat you and damn near kill you before you are returned and beaten again. Soloman had no love for these slave owners nor did kiss up to them he did what he did to survive and fought back when he could take no more and got beat for it. And it seems to me he went the judicial route because it was his only path of recourse.

Dude was an Uncle Tom. I cannot fathom how you are unable to see that. He was tricked by two complete strangers because he saw himself as equals to them. He put his trust on a "friend" who vouched for the CON ARTISTS about him. There was even an allegory phrase by his "friend" when he told those con artists, "the DEVIL call his name and here he comes now". I mean, damn. Dude after he fought with Tibeats told the overseer what happened and the overseer told him to "stay put or I cannot save you" and dude OBEDIENTLY stayed put only for them to comeback with a lynch mob just to hand him! And you telling me, he wasn't an Uncle Tom? Even after the near lynching he told Ford the truth because he BELIEVED he would set him free, especially when he was so-called marked for death by Tibeats. There is no way around it that he was an Uncle Tom naive about the truth until he was put in those shoes.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
Dude was an Uncle Tom. I cannot fathom how you are unable to see that. He was tricked by two complete strangers because he saw himself as equals to them. He put his trust on a "friend" who vouched for the CON ARTISTS about him. There was even an allegory phrase by his "friend" when he told those con artists, "the DEVIL call his name and here he comes now". I mean, damn. Dude after he fought with Tibeats told the overseer what happened and the overseer told him to "stay put or I cannot save you" and dude OBEDIENTLY stayed put only for them to comeback with a lynch mob just to hand him! And you telling me, he wasn't an Uncle Tom? Even after the near lynching he told Ford the truth because he BELIEVED he would set him free, especially when he was so-called marked for death by Tibeats. There is no way around it that he was an Uncle Tom naive about the truth until he was put in those shoes.

What you saw was not the writers nor the film makers intent so it seems you are placing your own insecurities on this character. Please tell me your definition of an Uncle tom because it seems your tolerance is very low. The kidnappers were con artist but they did a great job. So you mean to tell me if you go out and make money with a person to both of your benefits you would not trust them? It is not like they were doing anything illegal Soloman was in show business and thought they were as well. And if he trusted Ford at all he would have told him before after he helped him with that supply problem but he only told him when he was half dead and Ford was doing everything to save his life ( Soloman might have mistook that for caring but Ford was looking out for his investment).

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What you saw was not the writers nor the film makers intent so it seems you are placing your own insecurities on this character. Please tell me your definition of an Uncle tom because it seems your tolerance is very low. The kidnappers were con artist but they did a great job. So you mean to tell me if you go out and make money with a person to both of your benefits you would not trust them? It is not like they were doing anything illegal Soloman was in show business and thought they were as well. And if he trusted Ford at all he would have told him before after he helped him with that supply problem but he only told him when he was half dead and Ford was doing everything to save his life ( Soloman might have mistook that for caring but Ford was looking out for his investment).

My own insecurities? What I saw is what Steve McQueen put on film. McQueen himself, said he wasn't out to lay an agenda but to lay it out as if straight from the memoir and the VIEWER themselves interpret it how they see fit. He's the the painter of this art, and we are the ones who interprets it. All of these characters in this film are flawed, and it is a film that exposes the mentally of each individual and the psychological deconstruction that goes into being a slave.

Second, you do not know, nor understand the history of the word "Uncle Tom". The name comes from the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in which the author written that character as weak and sympathetic. Today, an Uncle Tom is someone who behaves subservient toward White People in general. Watch again the conversations between Eliza and Solomon. Solomon truly believe by seeking favor to Ford that will set him free, he more or less stated that to her. Eliza told him, if you believe that then go on and tell him the truth, and told him he gives not a f*ck about Solomon when it came down to it.

He was naive enough to believe he was as equal in sight of other white men. It was implied by the store flashback scene when he saw a wondering slave enter that he did not really comprehend the reality of slavery itself or that he did not really care. You may not care to admit it, but it was glaringly so, that he was an Uncle Tom. Had he not been one, he would of been suspicious to any white individual and be cautiously aware.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
My own insecurities? What I saw is what Steve McQueen put on film. McQueen himself, said he wasn't out to lay an agenda but to lay it out as if straight from the memoir and the VIEWER themselves interpret it how they see fit. He's the the painter of this art, and we are the ones who interprets it. All of these characters in this film are flawed, and it is a film that exposes the mentally of each individual and the psychological deconstruction that goes into being a slave.

Second, you do not know, nor understand the history of the word "Uncle Tom". The name comes from the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin" in which the author written that character as weak and sympathetic. Today, an Uncle Tom is someone who behaves subservient toward White People in general. Watch again the conversations between Eliza and Solomon. Solomon truly believe by seeking favor to Ford that will set him free, he more or less stated that to her. Eliza told him, if you believe that then go on and tell him the truth, and told him he gives not a f*ck about Solomon when it came down to it.

He was naive enough to believe he was as equal in sight of other white men. It was implied by the store flashback scene when he saw a wondering slave enter that he did not really comprehend the reality of slavery itself or that he did not really care. You may not care to admit it, but it was glaringly so, that he was an Uncle Tom. Had he not been one, he would of been suspicious to any white individual and be cautiously aware.

By your definition he is an Uncle tom but so was every character who was not killed outright for there defiance of being a slave. Also this is the early 1800's in america the amount of freedom he experienced and the white people he delt with made him believe that the law would help him because at that point the law kept him from being enslaved.( I am getting this all from the movie I have yet to read the book). I do not think you can place your definition of Uncle Tom on Soloman just because he had no other options and he is forced to act a certain way towards whites because it is even stated in the laws at the time.

So by your definition he is an Uncle Tom but would you have acted any differently given that situation?