Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
I would have took my chances like Omar. 12 years is a long time being a slave and Solomon had no idea that he would ever be saved. He could have just as easily died down there.

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My girl and I just came back from seeing it. Glad I paid to see it in theaters.
I think I'm going to cop the og book now :lupe:

Last edited:

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
So I just came back from seeing this with my wife, it was like walking out of a funeral. It was mostly couples, some women were crying & a few people walked out during the beating scenes.

Overall I thought it was a very powerful movie, solomon was a very soft spoken educated man. I couldn't believe he felt for that old trick from those two white men, the movie portrayed him as being very gullible throughout. Even after being tricked by them, he trusted that drunk white man & almost got killed.

One thing that bothered me after fact was trying to figure out if solomon was a c00n considering the scene he had with pasty when she crying after her kids. He kept trying to convince her that "master" was a good man but she basically told him if he(solomon) told master who he was he wouldn't believe him & wasn't doing anything for him. Maybe he was just holding out hope.

Pasty's last beating scene was :wow:

If we based his life purely off the movie, solomon's trustworthiness got him into the slavery trade & if wasn't for pitt's character he probably would've stayed a slave for life. Again a terrific movie but not the type I would want to watch again.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw it. Very good movie. 8/10

Chiwetel should get Best Actor (I haven't seen Fruitvale, that better?) As far as the supporting actors go I mean Fassbender was probably the best acted but to me Leo was much better in Django. If he never got nominated I don't see why Fassbender will. Pitt was sick in that short time but his character was a great man, in my opinion it wasn't his acting per se that deserves a nomination. However, Patsy should get a nomination. That final scene between her and Solomon was my favourite in the film.

This might sound dumb but the film made me appreciate nature more. The cinematography was great. That should have another Oscar along with the directing.

My one main beef was how the years weren't paced properly for the viewer. For example, I didn't know whether he was in year 1, 4 or 8 until the final scene when a close up of him shows grey hair and then to the end where we understood what the time period was. Like, he was always clean shaved or stubble, never a dirty beard.

When Solomon was beating that girl I was looking around for reactions and saw a early 20s white girl crying :ehh:

Last edited:

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
I don't know if it has been said but fukk that movie. nikka I wanted to see a revolt of some sort. Where the hell is that movie at? A movie about a nikka keeping his head low and suffering because he got fleeced by some shady fukking cacs until his white savior set him free?:upsetfavre: Im good on all these c00n movies. and yes:pacspit: fukk KaKKs shady fukking people still living good till this day off slavery and want to act like its "Equal":childplease: Just because a nikka has a chance to try to come up now. But they forget to mention most blacks have to be twice as good just to be equal.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Solomon was a naive uncle tom breh, you can't defend his actions or lack there of... he thought he could trust the white devil because he thought he wasn't like them other nikkas...He was an educated black man with white friends, no way they would kidnap him...:comeon:

That's why it was so easy to talk his ass into going south with two CAC's he never fukking met before...For an educated man he fell for one of the dumbest setups of all time and he continued to repeat the same mistake...

As much as I love my wife, I could never do what Solomon did to survive to see her another day...I have way too much pride to suck up to a CAC in hopes he won't treat me as another slave cuz unlike them I'm educated from the north...fukk Solomon for that bullshyt...

I would have rather died like Omar then go on surviving to be some white mans farm animal and forced to watch my people suffer...If I could have taken at least one of those white devils lives before they killed me It would have been well worth it...

In all fairness bruh you simply CANNOT say what particular mindset you would've had during that time period and under those circumstances. It's nice to think that we all might've been Nat Turner status (I've had similar thoughts/feelings myself) but the sad, cold, soul-crushing TRUTH of the matter is that experiencing bondage and slavery in such a fashion as to break your very spirit it is unlikely you would've done much more than Solomon. Solomon was an educated negro from the north who had NEVER encountered such evil tyranny in his life. Was it incredibly stupid and naive for him to travel with two Cacs down south? Absolutely. But hindsight is 20/20. Was it incredibly naive of Emmit Till to whistle at a white woman while down south? Was it naive of Trayvon Martin to be walking alone through the neighborhood with a hoodie on? Was it naive of that black guy who was running towards the cops for help when they opened fire on him and killed him? A lot of fatal mistakes have been made by our people over the course of recorded history when it comes to dealing with Cacs. Which is an unfortunate fact

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don't know if it has been said but fukk that movie. nikka I wanted to see a revolt of some sort. Where the hell is that movie at? A movie about a nikka keeping his head low and suffering because he got fleeced by some shady fukking cacs until his white savior set him free?:upsetfavre: Im good on all these c00n movies. and yes:pacspit: fukk KaKKs shady fukking people still living good till this day off slavery and want to act like its "Equal":childplease: Just because a nikka has a chance to try to come up now. But they forget to mention most blacks have to be twice as good just to be equal.

If you want to see a slave movie that ends in rebellion I suggest you watch Sankofa. Excellent film by the way

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw it. Very good movie. 8/10

Chiwetel should get Best Actor (I haven't seen Fruitvale, that better?) As far as the supporting actors go I mean Fassbender was probably the best acted but to me Leo was much better in Django. If he never got nominated I don't see why Fassbender will. Pitt was sick in that short time but his character was a great man, in my opinion it wasn't his acting per se that deserves a nomination. However, Patsy should get a nomination. That final scene between her and Solomon was my favourite in the film.

This might sound dumb but the film made me appreciate nature more. The cinematography was great. That should have another Oscar along with the directing.

My one main beef was how the years weren't paced properly for the viewer. For example, I didn't know whether he was in year 1, 4 or 8 until the final scene when a close up of him shows grey hair and then to the end where we understood what the time period was. Like, he was always clean shaved or stubble, never a dirty beard.

When Solomon was beating that girl I was looking around for reactions and saw a early 20s white girl crying :ehh:

I can feel you on him without facial hair, but that probably just mean he had the opportunity to shave, not something to showcase, insignificant nit pic. you DO see him age, however just gradually so much you don't really notice it UNTIL the end. also, the years blend was definitely intentional, because we are seeing this THROUGH the perspective of a slave, and the lost of time happens while in slavery for those people. they don't have no calender. they're in the bayou so there's no seasonal weather to tell you if it's winter, summer, spring, or fall. so, that was clearly intentional and also based on the title we already KNEW how many years it was so there's no need to reestablish that.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

The film showed what happened if you tried to get nat turner on folks.... CERTAIN DEATH. omar learned the hard way.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
In all fairness bruh you simply CANNOT say what particular mindset you would've had during that time period and under those circumstances. It's nice to think that we all might've been Nat Turner status (I've had similar thoughts/feelings myself) but the sad, cold, soul-crushing TRUTH of the matter is that experiencing bondage and slavery in such a fashion as to break your very spirit it is unlikely you would've done much more than Solomon. Solomon was an educated negro from the north who had NEVER encountered such evil tyranny in his life. Was it incredibly stupid and naive for him to travel with two Cacs down south? Absolutely. But hindsight is 20/20. Was it incredibly naive of Emmit Till to whistle at a white woman while down south? Was it naive of Trayvon Martin to be walking alone through the neighborhood with a hoodie on? Was it naive of that black guy who was running towards the cops for help when they opened fire on him and killed him? A lot of fatal mistakes have been made by our people over the course of recorded history when it comes to dealing with Cacs. Which is an unfortunate fact
Obviously people had the mindset that shyt was fukked up or we wouldn't be free today. I would have rathered died on a tree and took out a few of them bums ass crackers then live through that shyt. My man solomon was a c00n to the fullest. Shucking and jivin with with white boys and got played. And he was in DC when he got kidnapped.

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
The film showed what happened if you tried to get nat turner on folks.... CERTAIN DEATH. omar learned the hard way.
Man fukk what you talking about breh. Film was 2 hours of a slave being a slave until a white boy helped him out. Certain death my ass, one white guy with a gun when yall 10 deep?:upsetfavre:. But he aint have no problem whopping that one dudes ass for trying to play him. Scary ass c00n :yeshrug:rather beat a friend than die with some dignity.