Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
problem is african americans dont feel connected to africa and thus won't make films about it. you'd need an african for that task. the reason everything is slavery and civil rights days is because that is when black american history starts.

I realize I was just responding to someone who said they should make a pre-slavery black film. You're right to an extent but there are definitely some AA who want to see African kingdoms/learn African history.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
problem is african americans dont feel connected to africa and thus won't make films about it. you'd need an african for that task. the reason everything is slavery and civil rights days is because that is when black american history starts.

I think you're mistaking not being able to with not wanting to.

It's hard for black filmmakers to get films made especially if the film isn't eurocentric in nature.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Black filmmakers have it hard enough just getting movies made that feature prominently black characters, let alone movies that touch upon black culture/history, let alone movies that touch upon black culture/history that isn't a part of American history.

PimpHandStrong

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Decatur where its greater
I understand that but y'all don't seem to understand that Africa is a continent and not a country. Posting the history of some random group of nikkas doesn't have shyt to me or most other black people. Most of the time they use historical movies about Africans that we're never even involved in the Atlantic slave trade that brought Africans to America. We are most likely descendent from west africans and yet y'all post videos about South Africans or Zulus or random Africans that never even came to america during slavery. :heh: might as well give a Chinese person a lecture on Japanese history.
That's why I said everyone should get a DNA test to find out where they really come from. And when you know then you can focus on that country instead of the entire continent.

I just find issue with someone saying African history has nothing to do with them when your ancestors most likely came from a country over there.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this movie on the weekend with my lady this movie really puts you in the slave world compared to all the rest of the slave movies i've seen. It was an awesome movie but I wouldn't watch again since there's alot of hard parts in the movie came out the theatre with a heavy chest after. But I'd advise everybody including blacks and whites to see this.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

How wrong you are.

ThaBoyBam

You don't respect your jaw!
Daps
Flick sucked to me. Definitely an agenda with this one. I'm gonna read the book tho.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
I saw a comedian this past Friday at a show and he mentioned not only this movie but fruitvale station, django, and the butler.

He said that he's afraid that Hollywood is trying to tell us something. Along with all of the sensationalism in current mainstream media of young black murders it does make one a little uncomfortable.

I'm worried brehs :lupe: