Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's all cool and the gang but how about a realistic movie about black history PRIOR to slavery. All anyone wants to make are movies about slavery. Muthafukkas got history prior to slavery, why stop there and take the easy way out?

I agree but the fact that a real black movie made by blacks actually got greenlit by Hollywood is practically a miracle as it as. An historical black movie that revolves around anything other than racism would have to be completely funded by blacks.

PimpHandStrong

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Decatur where its greater
I agree but the fact that a real black movie made by blacks actually got greenlit by Hollywood is practically a miracle as it as. An historical black movie that revolves around anything other than racism would have to be completely funded by blacks.

You're right, only way to see what we want to see is to support our own.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw this movie. It's...:to: I don't have the words to totally explain myself. I have never cried at the movie theater before but I cried several times watching this flick. The whole theater was crying and it was like 95% old white folk. :lupe:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I can dig it, I just want to see more in Hollywood instead of Nollywood. Though I know it won't ever be the case, cacs dont want to see these type of movies.

@Weedizmedicine

Negro where did they get us from during the slave trade? From Africa (mostly), therefore African history is your history. Still believing the BS they're trying to feed to us saying before slavery we have no history.

"Be, be, 'fore we came to this country
We were kings and queens, never porch monkeys
There was empires in Africa called Kush
Timbuktu, where every race came to get books
To learn from black teachers who taught Greeks and Romans
"

Everyone should do a DNA test to find out what we're made of. Every other muthafukka in this country can look back to their country of origin and appreciate the culture from which their blood come from besides us.
I understand that but y'all don't seem to understand that Africa is a continent and not a country. Posting the history of some random group of nikkas doesn't have shyt to me or most other black people. Most of the time they use historical movies about Africans that we're never even involved in the Atlantic slave trade that brought Africans to America. We are most likely descendent from west africans and yet y'all post videos about South Africans or Zulus or random Africans that never even came to america during slavery. :heh: might as well give a Chinese person a lecture on Japanese history.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
i saw it, it wasn't as long, preachy, and depressing as people made it out to be, I wouldn't watch it again because it suffered from bad casting on the part of the blacks but there were some great lines delivered in this movie

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
so you can complain about how they dressed in tribal attire and how they were dancing around fires half naked worshiping a sun god and other pagan gods.

Id love it but since black people like to complain so much they probably dont want to try a touchy subject. Shaka Zulu was one of my favorite series, yet I wonder how many people even know its on netflix...ahem.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As per usual since its a black movie I can't find a stream for it. Anyone? :beli:

It hasn't gotten a wide release yet. Only the major cities and a few smaller ones are showing the film.

You do have a point about black movies being harder to find online though. :patrice:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
It hasn't gotten a wide release yet. Only the major cities and a few smaller ones are showing the film.

You do have a point about black movies being harder to find online though. :patrice:
man I was looking everywhere for Redtails. Even torrents were hard to find, didn't find it until it came out on rental. Urban flicks tho...no problem.

The only black movie I get same day as the movie release are Django or any Will Smith movie. They love Will in Asia, in fact I don't have to stream Will Smith flicks I can watch them in theaters.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
man I was looking everywhere for Redtails. Even torrents were hard to find, didn't find it until it came out on rental. Urban flicks tho...no problem.

No lie though, I usually make it a point to go out and support some black films. 12 Years is definitely gonna be one of those movies for me. I wanna see the homie Steve McQueen get elevated above that sack of monkey shyt Tyler Perry.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
No lie though, I usually make it a point to go out and support some black films. 12 Years is definitely gonna be one of those movies for me. I wanna see the homie Steve McQueen get elevated above that sack of monkey shyt Tyler Perry.
I would too, but I don't live in America. I don't have the same conveniences.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
so you can complain about how they dressed in tribal attire and how they were dancing around fires half naked worshiping a sun god and other pagan gods.

Id love it but since black people like to complain so much they probably dont want to try a touchy subject. Shaka Zulu was one of my favorite series, yet I wonder how many people even know its on netflix...ahem.

:comeon: Really breh? I'm African myself I'm not offended by "tribal attire". If the whole "primitive" (:rolleyes:) stigma is too much they could always set the film in a Sahelian kingdom.

The Shaka series was excellent I'd like to see more productions in that vein.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
:comeon: Really breh? I'm African myself I'm not offended by "tribal attire". If the whole "primitive" (:rolleyes:) stigma is too much they could always set the film in a Sahelian kingdom.

The Shaka series was excellent I'd like to see more productions in that vein.
problem is african americans dont feel connected to africa and thus won't make films about it. you'd need an african for that task. the reason everything is slavery and civil rights days is because that is when black american history starts.