Just saw 12 Years a Slave

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Roots and Queen weren't movies, they were tv series. Rosewood and Glory aren't slave movies. The only non-Blackface version of Uncle Tom's Cabin was a minor TV movie.

So that leaves you with Amistad, Beloved, and Amazing Grace, which is a movie about British, not American slavery.

In other words, you've got 2 movies about American slavery left, and both of them are relatively weak.
Even those two weren't really slave movies.
Amistad was a Courtroom drama about the illegal slave trade but we never actually see them as slaves they gained their freedom 5 minutes into the movie and spend the rest of it in a courtroom.
Beloved was about ghosts and shyt with slave characters. including that would be like including Django or something.

Roots is the only well known shyt that actually covers slavery and like you said it was a tv series. Plus that shyt is dated as fukk. africans speaking with british accents in Africa? :smh:
12 years a slave imo is really the first straight up big budget movie about slavery.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Even those two weren't really slave movies.
Amistad was a Courtroom drama about the illegal slave trade but we never actually see them as slaves they gained their freedom 5 minutes into the movie and spend the rest of it in a courtroom.
Beloved was about ghosts and shyt with slave characters. including that would be like including Django or something.

Roots is the only well known shyt that actually covers slavery and like you said it was a tv series. Plus that shyt is dated as fukk. africans speaking with british accents in Africa? :smh:
12 years a slave imo is really the first straight up big budget movie about slavery.

Very true. 12 Years is the first movie about slavery qua slavery, straight up. It's the gold standard now, too. All the others don't deal with slavery directly, except Roots. They all want to portray one part of slavery that seems less severe than the rest, or only refer to slavery in a peripheral way. People have been avoiding portraying slavery when it was in full swing, at its height, in the place where it was most concentrated.

Last edited:

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
That's all cool and the gang but how about a realistic movie about black history PRIOR to slavery. All anyone wants to make are movies about slavery. Muthafukkas got history prior to slavery, why stop there and take the easy way out?

Tons of Nollywood(Nigerian) movies on the subject

here's one from Burkina Faso

Adanggaman
Directed by Roger Gnoan M’Bala
Burkina Faso/Switzerland/Italy/France

Another one of the most common themes in African cinema is the cultural impact of the European slave trade. Some dramas focus on individuals who are forced to leave their homeland to work for Westerners for the rest of their lives. Others, like Adanggaman, deal with the impact that the slave trade had on African society. At the center of this film is a man named Ossei whose village is destroyed by the warriors of King Adanggaman who wages war against his neighboring tribes in order to sell them to European slave traders. Ossei follows the warriors back to the court of King Adanggaman in hopes that he can rescue his captured mother. Along the way, he is joined by Naka, a warrior of Adanggaman, who eventually befriends him. While the ending could probably do with some editing, Adanggaman is an interesting reinterpretation of the quest story that is so familiar to Western filmgoers. It should not be missed.

1311873003adanggaman_POSTER.jpg

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

Adanggaman

Another one of the most common themes in African cinema is the cultural impact of the European slave trade. Some dramas focus on individuals who are forced to leave their homeland to work for Westerners for the rest of their lives. Others, like Adanggaman, deal with the impact that the slave trade had on African society. At the center of this film is a man named Ossei whose village is destroyed by the warriors of King Adanggaman who wages war against his neighboring tribes in order to sell them to European slave traders. Ossei follows the warriors back to the court of King Adanggaman in hopes that he can rescue his captured mother. Along the way, he is joined by Naka, a warrior of Adanggaman, who eventually befriends him. While the ending could probably do with some editing, Adanggaman is an interesting reinterpretation of the quest story that is so familiar to Western filmgoers. It should not be missed.

1311873003adanggaman_POSTER.jpg

We are americans not africans. this has nothing to do us.
That would be like using a movie about eskimos to showcase the history of Sioux Indians.
they might both be the same race but thats all they share.
Like it or not black american history starts with slavery. if whites didn't work so hard to destroy the native language and religion of black people we might have some interest
but even then it would be regional. If i found out my ancestors were angolon i wouldn't care about Nigerian history or vice versa.
By the way all the characters in this movie are fictional. This is a historical fiction movie. find something based on an actual person and i would have greater interest.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
We are americans not africans. this has nothing to do us.
That would be like using a movie about eskimos to showcase the history of Sioux Indians.
they might both be the race but thats all they share.
Like it or not black american history starts with slavery. if white didn't work so hard to destroy the native language and religion of black people we might have some interest
but even then it would be regional. If i found out my ancestors were angolon i wouldn't care about nigerian history or vice versa
By the way all the characters in this movie are fictional. It isn't hard to find a historical film based on actual black people.

reading is fundamental, poster asked for a sample of a film concerning
pre-slavery days.

>>>PimpHandStrong said:
That's all cool and the gang but how about a realistic movie about black history PRIOR to slavery. All anyone wants to make are movies about slavery. Muthafukkas got history prior to slavery, why stop there and take the easy way out?

>>>>By the way all the characters in this movie are fictional

fictional or fact, a story can be told to mirror actual history

Last edited:

PimpHandStrong

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Decatur where its greater

Adanggaman

I can dig it, I just want to see more in Hollywood instead of Nollywood. Though I know it won't ever be the case, cacs dont want to see these type of movies.

@Weedizmedicine

Negro where did they get us from during the slave trade? From Africa (mostly), therefore African history is your history. Still believing the BS they're trying to feed to us saying before slavery we have no history.

"Be, be, 'fore we came to this country
We were kings and queens, never porch monkeys
There was empires in Africa called Kush
Timbuktu, where every race came to get books
To learn from black teachers who taught Greeks and Romans
"

Everyone should do a DNA test to find out what we're made of. Every other muthafukka in this country can look back to their country of origin and appreciate the culture from which their blood come from besides us.

Last edited:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
As much as I want Chiwetal to get his first Oscar it just sickens me that black actors have to do this type of material movies to get the recognition. It's always this Black overcoming slavery, poverty or some shyt type movies.

All the more power to my man Denzel for breaking the mold and winning an Oscar for playing a criminal. :blessed:

:troll:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Very true. 12 Years is the first movie about slavery qua slavery, straight up. It's the gold standard now, too. All the others don't deal with slavery directly, except Roots. They all want to portray one part of slavery that seems less severe than the rest, or only refer to slavery in a peripheral way. People have been avoiding portraying slavery when it was in full swing, at its height, in the place where it was most concentrated.

Let's not forget Sankofa now. Sankofa is a classic and some parts of that flick are so raw they make Rosewood look like Sesame Street and Roots look like Care Bears