"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

msims

Bmore nicca
Daps
Almost all of what you're saying is True

however, you say this like it's really hard. Once you know how to code any high level language, you can learn the others very easily. Its usually engine difference and syntax that you'll need to remember.

And frameworks, libraries, backends, connectors. You'll pick this up easily. At 100k, you're not really expected to be that good. Its not entry level, but its not senior level either. Its like.. year 2 or 3. Where i work, a full stack dev isnt making only 100k unless they were a college intern turned employee.

Alot what you said is true, i just dont think its as scary as you're making it out to be

/thread

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I think the problem is people are conflating "learn to code" with "learn to develop".

If you go to a coding bootcamp expecting to make 100K - you are in for a rough time. Learning a programming language isn't Computer Science. Similarly, it's not Software Development either. It's like being the guy on the construction site that just brings tool for other people to build the house. Yea you know some stuff, you can even build things, but you don't understand the whys and hows of what to do and when to do them.

So you get your bootcamp certificate and realize you only know surface level stuff. Great, you know C#. Do you understand how bubble sort works and can you create it in another language?

A comp sci student will know the answer to first. They might not know the answer to the second depending on the language, but once they get the syntax down for the new language they will. And it may take them less than an hour to figure that out. THAT is the skill you want and what you get paid for. To be able to think in abstract ways and understand that programming languages are just there for implementation (and communication to the OS and other programmers). You are there to solve problems and create stuff, not be obsessed with the way tools work.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the problem is people are conflating "learn to code" with "learn to develop".

If you go to a coding bootcamp expecting to make 100K - you are in for a rough time. Learning a programming language isn't Computer Science. Similarly, it's not Software Development either. It's like being the guy on the construction site that just brings tool for other people to build the house. Yea you know some stuff, you can even build things, but you don't understand the whys and hows of what to do and when to do them.

So you get your bootcamp certificate and realize you only know surface level stuff. Great, you know C#. Do you understand how bubble sort works and can you create it in another language?

A comp sci student will know the answer to first. They might not know the answer to the second depending on the language, but once they get the syntax down for the new language they will. And it may take them less than an hour to figure that out. THAT is the skill you want and what you get paid for. To be able to think in abstract ways and understand that programming languages are just there for implementation (and communication to the OS and other programmers). You are there to solve problems and create stuff, not be obsessed with the way tools work.

Facts.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

This

But the main thing too is you have to have a PASSION for this shyt. Idk or met any brehs that had a real passion for coding / developing unless they were just some weird socially awkward breh... This some shyt you gotta be "shooting in the gym" day and night for. This can also be the reason for why a lot of black folk don't get into tech and hence why there's not a lot of black hires. Outside of trying to learn a new skill and get a well paying job I legit could care less about any of this shyt.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Almost all of what you're saying is True

however, you say this like it's really hard. Once you know how to code any high level language, you can learn the others very easily. Its usually engine difference and syntax that you'll need to remember.

And frameworks, libraries, backends, connectors. You'll pick this up easily. At 100k, you're not really expected to be that good. Its not entry level, but its not senior level either. Its like.. year 2 or 3. Where i work, a full stack dev isnt making only 100k unless they were a college intern turned employee.

Alot what you said is true, i just dont think its as scary as you're making it out to be
The greatest myth is that it is scary and hard.

Crack Daniels

Under New Management
Daps
As a software developer at a major financial firm I can’t agree with everything stated here. I’m only ~5 years in my career but with all the interviews I went on, they’re not asking for you to be an expert in anything. These companies are looking for people who can be flexible and show a desire/ability to learn new things. Most of the stuff I’ve learned has come from on the job training and experiences, so even if you have basic-moderate knowledge of a few languages you’ll go a long way if you can convince them you’re willing to learn. Anyone can learn a coding language but having strong logic, critical thinking, problem solving skills will transfer anywhere.

Work-Life balance varies from place to place but speaking for myself and everyone I know in tech...our schedules are extremely flexible. There are days where you’re plugging away for 10 hours and there are just as many days (like today) where I’m doing actual work for about 2 hours and bullshytting for the rest of the day :yeshrug:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brehs have a better chance of getting into Networking and Cybersecurity.
Cybersecurity is by far the worse of any of these IT Disciplines. If dudes are crying over learning a few program languages. They won't want any smoke with cybersecurity.

And as far as Networking these jobs just aren't that abundant anymore. And cloud is making them even less abundant.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How is it like everything else in life? Not everyone will have the talent and ability to be successful at coding.
You could say this about anything that you attempt to do.

Brehs have a better chance of getting into Networking and Cybersecurity.
Aren't you eventually going to need to know how to code in those fields too?

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
OP got the game twisted. You don't learn the coding shyt to get a fukkong job
You use that shyt to build your own apps and or web sites and start making that bread. If you trying to get a job in that field you need a degree fool.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Here goes another job...

Web Developer - California State University, Long Beach - Long Beach, CA | Dice.com

Software development, Web development, jQuery, WCAG, WAS, Vue.js, TCP/IP, SQL, SOLID, Software, Python, React.js, IT, HTTP, HTML5, HTML, LDAP, MySQL, PHP, Oracle, Network design, Microsoft SharePoint administration, Laravel, JavaScript, Information systems, Information security, GitHub, Drupal, Command-line interface, Computer science, Cloud, CSS, COM, CAN, C, ACT, AngularJS

• Working knowledge of Drupal related command-line tools, i.e. Drush.
  • Working knowledge of PHP frameworks, especially Laravel.
  • Knowledge of JavaScript frameworks such as Angular or React and Vue desired.
  • Working knowledge of HTML5, CSS and jQuery preferred.
  • Knowledge of GitHub desired.
  • Ability to develop custom modules, components and themes.
  • Knowledge of network architecture, configuration and interfaces. Familiarity with different networking protocols such as TCP/IP and NetBlOS for maintaining and troubleshooting.
  • Understanding of authentication services such as Active Directory and LDAP.
  • Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."

But brehs gonna be in here talking about "that's basic" :rudy:

I didn't make this thread to shyt on the programming world. Just wanted to give a REAL perspective of it. Everyone thinks it's just this great lucrative field to excel in (which it can be), but don't give you the real and tell you just how much knowledge and struggle is involved. It might take YEARS before you start reaping the benefits of a software/programmer job, and that's if you're able to get in.