"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's not about wanting a handout, it's about showing how unrealistic the industry has become / is becoming.

You might as well just have gone to school to be a doctor/lawyer/scientist. The barriers are getting bigger and bigger to get in the industry and this "Full Stack / I Know Everything" person every company is looking for is nonexistent.
Please dont insult these brehs. The work they put in is absolutely nothing compared to a web developer at any level(front/back/full stack):usure:.

Pick up just one text book on differentials or linear algebra and you'll see what I mean.

If you wanna do web development seriously then you don't have to be full stack. You can just have to be really good at front end with github projects as proof or learn Java and servers for back end with a class/ certificate from (Microsoft or Oracle).:unimpressed:

The whole process would take about a year and a half. And yes you require jscript(easy), php, and a little python. I agree with a lot of the other coding guys here who say that once you learn syntaxes the rest is easy. To give you a tangible example @Dap Fishin I would compare switching computer languages to learning pourtuguise after learning Spanish. Some Brazilian mamis tell me its nearly identical :ohlawd:

As for experience, you are a black man in America, right? Do what we always do.:usure:

Just finésse your way through experience by having Filipinos make you 5 out of the 7 websites in your portfolio. They will literally work day and night for $50 just to make one of your websites. For $300 you could have 9mos of "experience" in a month.:wow:

No, just thought you would be interested in the thread topic since you are in programming/coding correct?

Meh. Web development is like the assembly worker of the software world. What I do is more of problem solving. :beli:

For example, a developer will churn out a product(website) that has already been done by millions before them, with many libraries of content to choose from. They then personalize it for the client.:skip:

Conversely, a compENG will be given some general problem like "a major medical company wants to save xyz money and they find out that 3000 mri machines emit heat. This heat must be dissipated. Dissipation costs money. What speed should the millions of cooling fans and processors be oscillating to achieve peak efficiency?"

You can control the machine from my previous example with coding in c++. This is just one heavy industry example of what i do vs "web development". :blessed:

Here is another example of the stuff I would program in a more academic setting...

In this case a elecEng and mechEng brehs would make the physical object whereas I would do the button mapping kind of like on an Xbox controller but for human nervous systems

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
:ld: I’m not in the Tech industry but wouldn’t it be easier to get a degree in business and just getting little certs? A former member of my old anime club got his bachelor’s in Finance with a cert and is now a V.P at Twitter.

It seems like these Tech degrees are always starting high out the gate and then falling fast
I was actually thinking of how Computer Science degrees are useless. You learn a lot of theory and math that you won't even use as a developer (unless you're in ML/AI). Seems like you're better off getting an easy degree, then teaching yourself on the side. I honestly might do that.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Also, another reasons there's so many H1B Indians in tech is because a lot of upper management out here in Silicon Valley is filled with Indians. They will hire their friends/people who look like them. I have not seen a single black person in tech out here :gucci:.

I should've mentioned this also... Tried to keep it non racial, but race is definitely a factor. A lot of these startups companies and people doing the hiring / recruiting / interviewing are Indian.

Matter fact, back in March and April I had an interview with Google. My 1st interview was with the recruiter who was white, but the two other people doing my separate interviews were Indian/Arab. Needless to say, I didnt get the job. This was for an IT Apprenticeship job mind you cuz at the time I shifted my focus from programming to IT and was studying for my CompTIA A+. They will ALWAYS look out for each other before hiring someone outside of their race, and when they do hire someone it's anything but black. Not saying I didn't get the job specifically cuz I'm black, but I'm not gonna be naive and say it wasn't a factor. When you're black you have a better chance of getting hired by white people than by Indians, Chinese, Latino, etc...

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The job outlook for networking and cyber security isn't as great as software developers. I checked bls.gov.
If I don't get offered a full time position after my current internship I'm just going to leave Silicon Valley area and move to Rwanda :yeshrug:. Hopefully by that time African countries will be in the process of Indutrializing.

I'm surprised. Network engineers are always in demand. Even with the shift to cloud and removing on-prem server stacks. Someone still has to set all of that up.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
These articles do a great job at convincing you that there's a huge "shortage" of programmers, developers and that there's soooo many job opportunities. They'll even tell you stuff like "a Python Developer makes avg $100k" or "C++ Developers make avg $100k" , "Mobile App developers make XXXXX), etc.

But here's what they don't tell you...

Yes, a Python, C++, Java developer can make 6 figures annually... but they leave out the part where you simply WON'T get a job JUST being a Python Developer or Java Developer.

They don't tell you that you'll MUST know and learn 3-4 different languages, 3-4 different frameworks, multiple libraries, and have 5-8 years experience in each of these.

They won't tell you that most of these Web Developer jobs are looking for "Full Stack Developers" meaning a jack of all trades. But what life will teach you is that a "jack of all trades" is a master of none. You won't be able to just be great at one language when you have to continuously spread your focus to many other languages and their frameworks.

Don't let these coding bootcamps and certificate courses fool you. The barrier to getting an actual coding job is higher than anything I've seen. Crazier than some healthcare jobs. Having a decent portfolio and the ability to make some websites/web apps simply isn't enough. They won't tell you that the tech industry requires CONSTANT learning of new languages, frameworks and technologies and that the stuff you're learning now will probably get old by the time you're able to master it (if you ever master anything).

Unlike being an electrician, technician or plumber where once you know the job, you know it. Programming/Development jobs will always have you constantly having to stay up to date, constantly feeling inadequate with new tech/software/programs, getting paid salary but putting in 60 hours or more a week (for projects that might eventually get dropped), the job WILL be your life so forget about hobbies and socializing.... Who honestly wants to live like that? The average person decided to code because they heard of the demand and the salary ranges. Most people with a "passion" for coding are the ones that have been at it since they were kids. There's a reason why there aren't many people in their 40's, 50's coding and why it's a constant revolving door of 20-30 something year olds. And I can talk about the lack of black people, but that's a whole new discussion. If anything brehs have a better chance of going into networking and cybersecurity.

If you work in any programming/software development environment you are expected to know multiple languages. It doesn't even take long to become good at another language provided they are of the same type and you aren't doing something radically different in terms of syntax (like going from Haskell to C++).

Either way once you know concepts, algorithms, and data structures you can pick stuff up quick. You don't need to be a master at a language, just great at understanding implementation and the logic of what you want to do. The language is just a tool. People that don't get that don't get paid because they are essentially just copy/paste code morons.

And yes, you will have to constantly learn new things. This isn't even difficult - not like you need to go to school every year and spend 6 months figuring stuff out. It's mainly just picking up bits of knowledge here and there for projects you'll be working on. This happens in any dynamic industry with fast growth - and if you're GOOD this is what you want because you'll be getting paid more for not being lazy.

Daps
Nah breh they are telling you the truth. "coding" jobs are over saturated when it comes to entry level since everyone is trying to hop on the bandwagon. On top of that a lot of these people don't realize that you can't just lock yourself in your room and learn; you also need to teach yourself to collaborate with others via Git.

If you don't have an internship while in college, don't have personal projects/ decent github you might be fukkkked. On top of that you have to keep up with all the new frameworks and libraries.

I had to apply to nearly 70 different internships before landing one. To make it worse the only reason I got the internship is because the person that interviewed me was a veteran as well.

okay, but what was the purpose of this thread? It seems like a deterrent to get brehs to stop getting into coding.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
The requirements for this job is ridiculous

Full Stack Senior C# Developer - Precision System Design Inc. - Remote, REMOTE | Dice.com

Essential Skills:

C#, Angular, Experience with multiple development languages, including C#, Java Script, HTML and CSS.

Experience working with Microsoft technology stack (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS VCS, ADO pipelines)

Experience and working knowledge of Git source code management (including branching patterns)

Excellent communication skills listening, verbal and written

Excellent organization skills with the ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignment simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities

Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with others to establish common goals

Desire to stay current on technology trends and operational concepts and tools

Most of the work will be done in Angular, therefore someone who has used the latest version (8.3.19) would be highly preferred. But would be open to someone who has not used the latest version - as long as they have worked with Angular

Experience working with Amazon Web Services

Plusses:

Experience with Hadoop and other data tool-sets

Experience developing and maintaining RESTful APIs

Experience developing and maintaining Angular apps and components

Experience with CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment)

Experience with Cloud integration and deployment (Azure DevOps Services, AWS, etc.).

Experience with one or more public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure)

Experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) data stores

Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM and DevSecOps methodologies

:gucci::gucci::gucci:

Not to humblebrag but honestly alot of that stuff is basic full stack curriculum.

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
A thread focused on dissuading brehs from building a career in one of the hottest lucrative in demand fields because it could be hard?

You see it all on thecoli unfortunately :francis:

Don't do this yall. It's too hard. Can you imagine they offer 100k+ salaries and actually expect you to know some shyt!?

Just stick to fixing pipes and toilets black folk:mjpls:

Yep this and the COLLEGE IS A SCAM narrative needs to end.

Fortune 500 companies recruit straight from colleges. Comp sci grads at my school were getting offers left and right. Same with engineering same with nursing. But it’s a scam :snoop:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
again. dissuading black people from getting into lucrative fields that are big part of the future in where the world is going simply because it's hard? c00n mentality. It's not for everyone, but for a breh that is willing and determined it's a great path to take in building a solid career that could give a breh foundation. I'm not with dissuading black people from getting into tech. that's straight up c00n mentality. don't get into tech brehs. just drive trucks and be a real estate agent because it's easier brehs.

You just looking to pick a fight and start an argument. Anyone who felt dissuaded by this thread most likely didn't have the passion for it anyways. Cuz that's what it takes to excel in a field like Software Engineering / Programming / Developing, passion. Quite frankly the average person is just looking to make money and just wants a job that they can tolerate. This hype around programming and coding blinds a lot of people. I'm just giving an expectation vs reality perspective breh... enough with the name calling and immaturity.