"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This

But the main thing too is you have to have a PASSION for this shyt. Idk or met any brehs that had a real passion for coding / developing unless they were just some weird socially awkward breh... This some shyt you gotta be "shooting in the gym" day and night for. This can also be the reason for why a lot of black folk don't get into tech and hence why there's not a lot of black hires. Outside of trying to learn a new skill and get a well paying job I legit could care less about any of this shyt.

Number 1. If you don't have the passion, you will FAIL! You can't half ass it.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
The requirements for this job is ridiculous

Full Stack Senior C# Developer - Precision System Design Inc. - Remote, REMOTE | Dice.com

Essential Skills:

C#, Angular, Experience with multiple development languages, including C#, Java Script, HTML and CSS.

Experience working with Microsoft technology stack (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS VCS, ADO pipelines)

Experience and working knowledge of Git source code management (including branching patterns)

Excellent communication skills listening, verbal and written

Excellent organization skills with the ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignment simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities

Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with others to establish common goals

Desire to stay current on technology trends and operational concepts and tools

Most of the work will be done in Angular, therefore someone who has used the latest version (8.3.19) would be highly preferred. But would be open to someone who has not used the latest version - as long as they have worked with Angular

Experience working with Amazon Web Services

Plusses:

Experience with Hadoop and other data tool-sets

Experience developing and maintaining RESTful APIs

Experience developing and maintaining Angular apps and components

Experience with CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment)

Experience with Cloud integration and deployment (Azure DevOps Services, AWS, etc.).

Experience with one or more public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure)

Experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) data stores

Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM and DevSecOps methodologies

:gucci::gucci::gucci:
Seems like an easy job tbh. My wife works in HR. A lot of these postings are put together by people that couldn’t tell you what any of this means. I work in DevOps which this post screams. They don’t expect you to be a master at any of these things but have experience with some of it since you’ll probably be working in a team environment. Right now my job has me doing Python, touching ELK stack stuff, using Ansible and managing it all with Git. I won’t even touch on the human/internal customer facing aspect. And we work in an AGILE 2 week sprint environment.

I touch over 100k and any of the stuff I have trouble with I just Slack my teammates and they whip up a script/code for me.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Here goes another job...

Web Developer - California State University, Long Beach - Long Beach, CA | Dice.com

Software development, Web development, jQuery, WCAG, WAS, Vue.js, TCP/IP, SQL, SOLID, Software, Python, React.js, IT, HTTP, HTML5, HTML, LDAP, MySQL, PHP, Oracle, Network design, Microsoft SharePoint administration, Laravel, JavaScript, Information systems, Information security, GitHub, Drupal, Command-line interface, Computer science, Cloud, CSS, COM, CAN, C, ACT, AngularJS

• Working knowledge of Drupal related command-line tools, i.e. Drush.
  • Working knowledge of PHP frameworks, especially Laravel.
  • Knowledge of JavaScript frameworks such as Angular or React and Vue desired.
  • Working knowledge of HTML5, CSS and jQuery preferred.
  • Knowledge of GitHub desired.
  • Ability to develop custom modules, components and themes.
  • Knowledge of network architecture, configuration and interfaces. Familiarity with different networking protocols such as TCP/IP and NetBlOS for maintaining and troubleshooting.
  • Understanding of authentication services such as Active Directory and LDAP.
  • Ability to communicate with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and procedures. Ability to contribute to a positive university experience for each and every student, and assist in achieving the university's commitment to a "vision of excellence."

But brehs gonna be in here talking about "that's basic" :rudy:

I didn't make this thread to shyt on the programming world. Just wanted to give a REAL perspective of it. Everyone thinks it's just this great lucrative field to excel in (which it can be), but don't give you the real and tell you just how much knowledge and struggle is involved. It might take YEARS before you start reaping the benefits of a software/programmer job, and that's if you're able to get in.

lol bro I dropped out of school going for my CS degree. I no longer work in that field but honestly, this isn't that difficult. And I'm saying this as a dude that hasn't touched the industry in a decade and did most of my learning outside of school:

That job description is just a bunch of keywords thrown together. HTTP and TCP/IP are protocols. You don't "learn" those. Whoever wrote that just threw them in there like they threw Network Design, Computer Science, Cloud, and Oracle in there. Just buzzwords.

My SQL/SQL are essentially the same thing. If you know databases, you know SQL. If you understand any high level programming language, understanding the basics of creating a database is cake. Download shytty MS Access and practice, less than a week later you'll get the fundamentals down before the interview. Hell you could even open up Excel and create dummy databases.

HTML/HTML5/CSS - come on. A 5th grader can figure this out.

Python/Jquery/PHP - web developer work. I mean, I would hope so if applying for a web development job. Python is usually one of the first languages people learn because its that damn quick to pick up. It's also great. PHP is scripting and if you know C/C++/C# or Java, this is almost like an extension. JQuery is also scripting. In fact they pretty much overlap the "HTML" requirement like most of the keywords here.

There is definitely some truth to the high barriers of entry for the jobs listed. And true - some of these people creating the job listings are out of their minds with the requirements they ask for. But in this case and the other, these aren't really a big deal. Again, if you are legit good at development, many of these are things you've already done. And outside of specific full architecture requirements, things you can pick up quickly with a bit of playing around.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
I should've mentioned this also... Tried to keep it non racial, but race is definitely a factor. A lot of these startups companies and people doing the hiring / recruiting / interviewing are Indian.

Matter fact, back in March and April I had an interview with Google. My 1st interview was with the recruiter who was white, but the two other people doing my separate interviews were Indian/Arab. Needless to say, I didnt get the job. This was for an IT Apprenticeship job mind you cuz at the time I shifted my focus from programming to IT and was studying for my CompTIA A+. They will ALWAYS look out for each other before hiring someone outside of their race, and when they do hire someone it's anything but black. Not saying I didn't get the job specifically cuz I'm black, but I'm not gonna be naive and say it wasn't a factor. When you're black you have a better chance of getting hired by white people than by Indians, Chinese, Latino, etc...
/thread
One of the easiest ways to get into tech is through an internship. If you black and live on the west coast, you're going to struggle getting your foot in the door because a lot of recruiters out here are Asian or Indian. They will not hire you as a black personl, you're better off having a white person as a recruiter.
At least on the east coast getting connections in tech is easier.
A tip to any black person trying to get into tech: Move to Atlanta, DC, Charlotte or Nashville. Avoid the west coast.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
You don't need to learn code to make 6 figures in software.

There's customer success, user experience, project management, program management, business analysts, product manager, product owners, scrum masters...at every level. Jr, Regular, Sr, Lead, Manager, Director, Sr. Director, VP, Sr VP, C-Suite etc

I can go on and on and on and on and on.

There's at least a handful of people at my company with those roles making 6 figures. MAYBE the exception are business analysts if you take away bonuses. But they usually progress to product owners / product managers.

Regardless. The talented software engineers I work with everyday spends most of their day Googling and writing the same function over and over and over and over again.

If anyone in here is set on learning code then pick one of these 3 areas
  • Data Science - Learn R, Python, and to a lesser extent SQL
  • Front End - VUE or React
  • DevOps - just have a general familiarity with EVERYTHING
Want to learn something that's on the come up that could contribute to all 3 of those? Pick up GO.

Last edited:

Rhyme n Tekniq

Superstar
Daps
No, just thought you would be interested in the thread topic since you are in programming/coding correct?

No problem my G,

Actually I dont work in Development, I work in the Virtualization/Cloud Infrastructure field, which is more system Engineering type stuff

Being a pure developer isnt necessary to make good money in tech. Development or coding is its own skillset and if its something you dont enjoy, then just stop. It all depends on how you're wired mentally.

are you better suited to IT operations/infrastructure, Infosec, Networking, Business IT/project management?

OR

Is coding/development your calling.

Either one is going to get you paid if you bout your hustle.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
breh, unfortunately you're right about this shyt..:francis:

This is one thing I can give Trump credit for which is addressing how companies have abused the H1B visa program but he has kind of flip flopped on that after business leaders get in his ear.

Sanders had the right idea about this shyt, at least back in the day. This is why he got my vote. :francis:

The neo-liberal left has effectively appealed to the sensitivities as it relates to race in regards to their base and has positioned anti-worker policies that only benefit cooperations as really being open-minded, non-discriminatory, and inclusive ideas. It is like putting a woke wrapping on the most corporate-friendly and exploitive policy around. The voters don't see the exploitation that takes place with this program and the working conditions companies put H1Bs through and instead just follow the thinking because its increasing "diversity" it is good.

Dude this video is from like 2007. I'm pretty sure Sanders has flip-flopped on his opposition to H1b visas like all Democrats. That's why I stopped supporting him along with his stance on Reparations.

I'm gonna make one more quick money grab before Democrats win and tank the labor market. If you don't make big money by the time they open the borders for massive immigration your screwed. Wages we're stagnant the entire 8 years of Obama's tenure. And it's gonna be worse under Biden who's even more in bed with Corporations from his dealings in Delaware.

Joe Biden’s politics can be explained by Delaware’s shadowy past

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
OH. Forgot to mention for brehs in college. I don't know what the CS equivalent is but in engineering, there is the NSBE which is for black engineers. Get in on that shyt. They have job fairs usually specifically for that organization and a lot of companies like Boeing and Raytheon and the like go to those fairs specifically because government contracting organizations get incentivized to hire black engineers. Take advantage of their job fairs and resource. I can't remember if CS major could join the NSBE also but I'm sure if they can't there is a CS equivalent.

Last edited:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
/thread
One of the easiest ways to get into tech is through an internship. If you black and live on the west coast, you're going to struggle getting your foot in the door because a lot of recruiters out here are Asian or Indian. They will not hire you as a black personl, you're better off having a white person as a recruiter.
At least on the east coast getting connections in tech is easier.
A tip to any black person trying to get into tech: Move to Atlanta, DC, Charlotte or Nashville. Avoid the west coast.

IMO, I don't recommend ATL to anybody for entry work outside of regular IT. We getting cali folks here. Chicago/DC has more jobs than here.