"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
How is calling out white supremacy weak? black people need to start our own shyt.
The shyt you mentioned is a given, no matter the position when you're a black man. We have to work 2x as hard for as much as the credit. This should be baked into the calculus for anyone doing a job search. Kind of unnecessary to even mention honestly. I always assume it will take a white boy 10 interviews/applications to land a job and it would take me 30 with all things being equal.

I'd love to work for a black manager and black majority company but this is a very small segment of the job market and its not as easy as just "do it".

Jekyll

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah alot of FANG companies are moving away from requiring degrees but it is still basically required for most jobs even if you have experience.

I’d say get into a niche field that will still be around for at least 10 years and always be learning the next big thing.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
These articles do a great job at convincing you that there's a huge "shortage" of programmers, developers and that there's soooo many job opportunities. They'll even tell you stuff like "a Python Developer makes avg $100k" or "C++ Developers make avg $100k" , "Mobile App developers make XXXXX), etc.

But here's what they don't tell you...

Yes, a Python, C++, Java developer can make 6 figures annually... but they leave out the part where you simply WON'T get a job JUST being a Python Developer or Java Developer.

They don't tell you that you'll MUST know and learn 3-4 different languages, 3-4 different frameworks, multiple libraries, and have 5-8 years experience in each of these.

They won't tell you that most of these Web Developer jobs are looking for "Full Stack Developers" meaning a jack of all trades. But what life will teach you is that a "jack of all trades" is a master of none. You won't be able to just be great at one language when you have to continuously spread your focus to many other languages and their frameworks.

Don't let these coding bootcamps and certificate courses fool you. The barrier to getting an actual coding job is higher than anything I've seen. Crazier than some healthcare jobs. Having a decent portfolio and the ability to make some websites/web apps simply isn't enough. They won't tell you that the tech industry requires CONSTANT learning of new languages, frameworks and technologies and that the stuff you're learning now will probably get old by the time you're able to master it (if you ever master anything).

Unlike being an electrician, technician or plumber where once you know the job, you know it. Programming/Development jobs will always have you constantly having to stay up to date, constantly feeling inadequate with new tech/software/programs, getting paid salary but putting in 60 hours or more a week (for projects that might eventually get dropped)... Who honestly wants to live like that? There's a reason why there aren't many people in their 40's, 50's coding and why it's a constant revolving door of 20-30 something year olds. And I can talk about the lack of black people, but that's a whole new discussion.

...and if Biden/Harris wins, they will remove restrictions on H1B visas and a flood of Indians gonna snatch every job in the market.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Only SWE job I can picture someone earning six figures knowing a single language is Python (cause you can do anything with it) supplemented with a strong ML / mathematics background.

Javascript example would be nodeJS on the server, React Native on the front end building to both Android and iOS.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
...and if Biden/Harris wins, they will remove restrictions on H1B visas and a flood of Indians gonna snatch every job in the market.
breh, unfortunately you're right about this shyt..:francis:

This is one thing I can give Trump credit for which is addressing how companies have abused the H1B visa program but he has kind of flip flopped on that after business leaders get in his ear.

Sanders had the right idea about this shyt, at least back in the day. This is why he got my vote. :francis:

The neo-liberal left has effectively appealed to the sensitivities as it relates to race in regards to their base and has positioned anti-worker policies that only benefit cooperations as really being open-minded, non-discriminatory, and inclusive ideas. It is like putting a woke wrapping on the most corporate-friendly and exploitive policy around. The voters don't see the exploitation that takes place with this program and the working conditions companies put H1Bs through and instead just follow the thinking because its increasing "diversity" it is good.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

This is one thing I can give Trump credit for which is addressing how companies have abused the H1B visa program but he has kind of flip flopped on that after business leaders get in his ear.

Sanders had the right idea about this shyt, at least back in the day. This is why he got my vote. :francis:

The neo-liberal left has effectively appealed to the sensitivities as it relates to race in regards to their base and has positioned anti-worker policies that only benefit cooperations as really being open-minded, non-discriminatory, and inclusive ideas. It is like putting a woke wrapping on the most corporate-friendly and exploitive policy around. The voters don't see the exploitation that takes place with this program and the working conditions companies put H1Bs through and instead just follow the thinking because its increasing "diversity" it is good.

Yeah man. There's too many people struggling in America enough as it is that could use these jobs. And fun fact, a majority of these Indians aren't some genius programmers and are just as average at coding as people here in America. Only difference is, it's cheaper to pay the Indians. The job/homeless situation is only going to get worse and worse with Covid not going anywhere any time soon.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
It is hard breh... People who make coding sound easy are being dishonest. If it was actually easy, everyone would do it and excel at it. I know some JS, C#, Ruby, PHP but nothing to write home about. Remember these are programming LANGUAGES. It's the equivalent of somebody needing to learn Mandarin, Creole, Spanish, French in order to get a job. And even after the fact, these jobs are still hard to get... I can post a bunch of job postings from Dice or Indeed and show y'all just how much they require of you to know and experience to have. It's NOT easy. Please stop saying that cuz there's brehs out there that go into it thinking it is and get met with a rude awakening.

You can google or youtube "can't find job web developer" , "can't find job programmer" and you'll see the amount of people with great resumes/portfolios struggling just to get their foot in the door. People saying stuff like "all you need is to find that one job and once you're in, you're IN" are straight lying breh.
They most likely didn't get an internship while they were in college. You need an internship to get a job as a web or seftware developer. Also, you need personal projects on your github. Last but not least you need to do well on the technical interview. Practice leetcode problems day in and day out. I know a chick who is having a hard time getting a job because she keeps bombing the technical interviews. My guess is that she coasted through her comp sci classes but didn't really practice data structures and algorithms.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC
I didn't make this to discourage brehs... If that's your passion then keep on grinding breh. I just realized for me, that if the money wasn't good I wouldn't even consider coding. I've spent the last 2 years just trying to learn Front End and for most jobs Front End simply isn't enough.

Dude all tech jobs are like this. I'm in Telecom and even basic positions are so padded out:

• Master's Degree preferred
  • 10+ years operating in strategic function
  • 8+ years doing "X" role at a large company
  • Must know the following technologies.
    • BPON/GPON/XPON/Active Optical Networking
    • DWDM/CWDM/FDM/TDM
    • AWS: EC2, S3, 15+ years in Azure a plus. :unsure:

Base Salary: $97,200

Yeah that's why even though Trump is an absolute idiot, Democrats are no better and the long-term impacts on their policies scare me as a Black man more than anything. 11M immigrants become citizens, unlimited H1Bs...nikkas gonna be in bad shape with both of those alone.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Coding camps are a joke. How the fukk are you going to learn systems level programming or data structure principles along with just learning the basics of programming in a few months effectively?

Boot camps may be good for someone who has a background already and just needs something to fill in the gaps but there is a lot to programming besides the comp sci 101 stuff like learning about variables, vectors, and the like. Do you learn the purpose of system calls or manage memory in a coding bootcamp? I can't imagine so.
boot camps only work for now because there's a huge demand for web developers so all they need to know is javascript and node.js tbh. Once that demand goes away they are fukkked.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All I need it for is to build apps/tech so I can eventually run my own business. I done had about 5 different ideas that I couldn’t build myself but I later saw tech companies doing something similar. I can code up simple HTML and CSS but I’m bad at back end. So im about to start a boot camp now :yeshrug:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
A thread focused on dissuading brehs from building a career in one of the hottest lucrative in demand fields because it could be hard?

You see it all on thecoli unfortunately :francis:

Don't do this yall. It's too hard. Can you imagine they offer 100k+ salaries and actually expect you to know some shyt!?

Just stick to fixing pipes and toilets black folk:mjpls:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It is hard breh... People who make coding sound easy are being dishonest. If it was actually easy, everyone would do it and excel at it. I know some JS, C#, Ruby, PHP but nothing to write home about. Remember these are programming LANGUAGES. It's the equivalent of somebody needing to learn Mandarin, Creole, Spanish, French in order to get a job. And even after the fact, these jobs are still hard to get... I can post a bunch of job postings from Dice or Indeed and show y'all just how much they require of you to know and experience to have. It's NOT easy. Please stop saying that cuz there's brehs out there that go into it thinking it is and get met with a rude awakening.

You can google or youtube "can't find job web developer" , "can't find job programmer" and you'll see the amount of people with great resumes/portfolios struggling just to get their foot in the door. People saying stuff like "all you need is to find that one job and once you're in, you're IN" are straight lying breh.

I'm developer speaking from pesonal experience so I dont know what you want me to say.
Being sufficient enough in coding to make 6 figures is not difficult in my opinion. Once again, making 95-105k as a dev is not a high level dev position. You also need to be more specific because there are many thing that fall under the guise of "dev"

From your skillset you sound like a web developer. You list your frontend skills, do you have backend skills as well? What webservers are you familiar with? Are you IIS fluent? Apache?
Maybe you are undervaluing your skillset and interviewing for low paying jobs, cuz you should be able to get 6 figures.