"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Learning Azure, AWS, C#, Java, Javascript is easy??? :gucci:

Maybe to y'all that got YEARS of experience... but for the average breh that don't got time to waste and need to make money now or within the next year or two, this is bonkers. A breh can learn to be an electrician, plumber, HVAC tech, get an apprenticeship and start making money in way less time than it takes to learn this "easy" stuff.

Programming is not something you can sit down and be very competent within a year. That is how it is.

That is why a lot of folks give up on it.

It's a legit grind and its something you can't lie about. You'll be doing a lot of learning before, during, and after work/school.

I could have learned some JS in High School but I didn't understand Web Design at the time.

Web Design is easier to get into. shyt, if you can learn PHP, you could just work on WordPress websites for the rest of your LIFE.

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All I need it for is to build apps/tech so I can eventually run my own business. I done had about 5 different ideas that I couldn’t build myself but I later saw tech companies doing something similar. I can code up simple HTML and CSS but I’m bad at back end. So im about to start a boot camp now :yeshrug:
I recommend to build your own CMS(content management system) as practice. With this you learn database(mysql),server side language(php or python) and you can use your frontend skills(html,css) and implement javascript. Once you master the basics of submitting content from a HTML form, validating content, saving in a database, then retrieving from database and displaying content. This is essential for a beginner.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
I'm developer speaking from pesonal experience so I dont know what you want me to say.
Being sufficient enough in coding to make 6 figures is not difficult in my opinion.

:feedme:

What would you have done differently looking back on your developer/"coding" career?

I was told to get gud at Powershell using Koans on Git. Then go from there? (I was thinking Python). Im not in college, I'm a broke IT dude :wow:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
A thread focused on dissuading brehs from building a career in one of the hottest lucrative in demand fields because it could be hard?

You see it all on thecoli unfortunately :francis:

Don't do this yall. It's too hard. Can you imagine they offer 100k+ salaries and actually expect you to know some shyt!?

Just stick to fixing pipes and toilets black folk:mjpls:

I've seen more brehs come up in the trades than I've ever seen in tech. Brehs with their CDL, Trade Licenses and Certifications, PMP, Real Estate License, etc can easily get their foot in the door and get to the bag. Black people in tech are in the single digit percentage wise and have a hard time getting hired even with extensive knowledge. And don't speak unless you've actually tried pursuing this programming/development shyt.

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Programming is not something you can sit down and be very competent within a year. That is how it is.

That is why a lot of folks give up on it.

It's a legit grind and its something you can't lie about. You'll be doing a lot of learning before, during, and after work/school.

I could have learned some JS in High School but I didn't understand Web Design at the time.

Web Design is easier to get into. shyt, if you can learn PHP, you could just work on WordPress websites for the rest of your LIFE.
Wordpress development can still be a nightmare for a beginner. Creating a plugin, filter, custom child theme or just looking at the database schema they wouldn't know what the fukk is going on. :heh:

500px-WP4.4.2-ERD.png

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
So basically this is a thread of coding brehs trying to convince other brehs to stop learning coding?:pachaha:

Gee I wonder why :mjpls:

Yall aint gotta worry. Imma keep learning this coding... and I'll be very nice and polite when I apply for your job :mjpls:
Nah breh they are telling you the truth. "coding" jobs are over saturated when it comes to entry level since everyone is trying to hop on the bandwagon. On top of that a lot of these people don't realize that you can't just lock yourself in your room and learn; you also need to teach yourself to collaborate with others via Git.

If you don't have an internship while in college, don't have personal projects/ decent github you might be fukkkked. On top of that you have to keep up with all the new frameworks and libraries.

I had to apply to nearly 70 different internships before landing one. To make it worse the only reason I got the internship is because the person that interviewed me was a veteran as well.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The requirements for this job is ridiculous

Full Stack Senior C# Developer - Precision System Design Inc. - Remote, REMOTE | Dice.com

Essential Skills:

C#, Angular, Experience with multiple development languages, including C#, Java Script, HTML and CSS.

Experience working with Microsoft technology stack (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS VCS, ADO pipelines)

Experience and working knowledge of Git source code management (including branching patterns)

Excellent communication skills listening, verbal and written

Excellent organization skills with the ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignment simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities

Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with others to establish common goals

Desire to stay current on technology trends and operational concepts and tools

Most of the work will be done in Angular, therefore someone who has used the latest version (8.3.19) would be highly preferred. But would be open to someone who has not used the latest version - as long as they have worked with Angular

Experience working with Amazon Web Services

Plusses:

Experience with Hadoop and other data tool-sets

Experience developing and maintaining RESTful APIs

Experience developing and maintaining Angular apps and components

Experience with CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment)

Experience with Cloud integration and deployment (Azure DevOps Services, AWS, etc.).

Experience with one or more public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure)

Experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) data stores

Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM and DevSecOps methodologies

:gucci::gucci::gucci:

Lol you are overblowing this breh. Lets break this down...

1. C#, Angular, Experience with multiple development languages, including C#, Java Script, HTML and CSS.
This is basic knowledge for any frontend web dev. even highschoolers know these languages.​

2. Experience working with Microsoft technology stack (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS VCS, ADO pipelines)
This all depends if you are a linux guy or Microsoft guy. Clearly this is a Microsoft shop so you'll have to get experience with IIS, Server 2019, .net, SQL server. Basically... this is backend knowledge for a Microsoft shop vs a linux. If you were raised on Microsoft, this is easy. If not... you may need to learn a few things.​

3. Experience and working knowledge of Git source code management (including branching patterns)
Basic DevOps, Day 1 stuff​

4. Excellent communication skills listening, verbal and written
General job req for any job​

5. Excellent organization skills with the ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignment simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities
Translation: we have multiple clients and some pay us more than others so prioritize those​

6. Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with others to establish common goals
General job req for any team-based job​

7. Desire to stay current on technology trends and operational concepts and tools
If you like tech, this is something you'll do on your own​

8. Most of the work will be done in Angular, therefore someone who has used the latest version (8.3.19) would be highly preferred. But would be open to someone who has not used the latest version - as long as they have worked with Angular
As someone who knows Angular JS... eww. This is the most restrictive requirement they have, and Angular leaks like a bish so... yeah eww​

9. Experience working with Amazon Web Services
Translation: Do you know how to build this webserver on the cloud? Assign it a virtual IP, build the backend connections, load balance it etc? Normally the sys admin will do 90% of that, but it helps if you know some cloud computing. This is the 2nd most restrictive requirement, as many devs have no System Admin skills. But if you have them... easy.

So, in summary, for a senior level job that would be well over 100k, here is what they are looking for

A web developer who knows Microsoft backend, basic devops, and writes in Angular JS. This isn't crazy requirements for a senior position. This is kinda standard. The pluses probably determine your wage

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Yeah man. There's too many people struggling in America enough as it is that could use these jobs. And fun fact, a majority of these Indians aren't some genius programmers and are just as average at coding as people here in America. Only difference is, it's cheaper to pay the Indians. The job/homeless situation is only going to get worse and worse with Covid not going anywhere any time soon.
Breh, I recently moved to Sunnyvale, a city 5 minutes away from Silicon Valley. My neighborhood is nothing but Indians and Asians. I have not seen a single black person :deadrose:. Wanna hear the best part. You got hella Indians out here who can't even speak English living in big asss houses:heh:. This area is a huge contrast from Oakland. No homeless people out here, safe neighborhood, etc. It's crazy how America would rather give outsiders the American dream while Americans are taking an L:heh:.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
:ld: I’m not in the Tech industry but wouldn’t it be easier to get a degree in business and just getting little certs? A former member of my old anime club got his bachelor’s in Finance with a cert and is now a V.P at Twitter.

It seems like these Tech degrees are always starting high out the gate and then falling fast

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
This post I wholeheartedly agree with.
The job outlook for networking and cyber security isn't as great as software developers. I checked bls.gov.
If I don't get offered a full time position after my current internship I'm just going to leave Silicon Valley area and move to Rwanda :yeshrug:. Hopefully by that time African countries will be in the process of Indutrializing.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
I've seen more brehs come up in the trades than I've ever seen in tech. Brehs with their CDL, Trade Licenses and Certifications, PMP, Real Estate License, etc can easily get their foot in the door and get to the bag. Black people in tech are in the single digit percentage wise and have a hard time getting hired even with extensive knowledge. And don't speak unless you've actually tried pursuing this programming/development shyt.
again. dissuading black people from getting into lucrative fields that are big part of the future in where the world is going simply because it's hard? c00n mentality. It's not for everyone, but for a breh that is willing and determined it's a great path to take in building a solid career that could give a breh foundation. I'm not with dissuading black people from getting into tech. that's straight up c00n mentality. don't get into tech brehs. just drive trucks and be a real estate agent because it's easier brehs.