"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
So basically this is a thread of coding brehs trying to convince other brehs to stop learning coding?:pachaha:

Gee I wonder why :mjpls:

Yall aint gotta worry. Imma keep learning this coding... and I'll be very nice and polite when I apply for your job :mjpls:

Not at all breh. I'm just showing a more realistic vision. All these articles and people who don't actually know what they're talking about make the shyt sound so easy and that anyone can become a programmer / software developer if they just put the time in. Truth is, the industry is an uphill battle for newbies and beginners but especially black people.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I guarantee at these coding bootcamps they don't teach you cli(command line interface). How to install packages, logs, modules, navigate, symlinks, SSH. This is a requirement to be a Full Stack Developer and is entirely different from creating a php/python web page.
The thing that cant be taught is the ability to actually Engineer lol. Code camps churn out code monkeys

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
The more you learn, the more you realize you don’t know anything

When I first started learning to program, it thought I’d have a job in 3 months. I couldn’t name a single data structure, nor could I implement the most rudimentary algorithms like bubble sort in code.

No sane employer is going to offer a newb a 6-figure salary.

this...i took nearly 10 years from my first internship in the IT game to make 6 figs

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Welp, I'm already deep into this CS degree.:francis:

Hopefully things work out for me then.
Get an internship or co-op ASAP. If you do that, you'll be in a good spot. My co-op turned into my full-time position now. Your university should have a department you can reach out to that specifically facilitates you getting a co-op or internship. Personally, I found my co-op through engineerjobs.com lol but I did get a few interviews before that through that program.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

I didn't make this to discourage brehs... If that's your passion then keep on grinding breh. I just realized for me, that if the money wasn't good I wouldn't even consider coding. I've spent the last 2 years just trying to learn Front End and for most jobs Front End simply isn't enough.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The requirements for this job is ridiculous

Full Stack Senior C# Developer - Precision System Design Inc. - Remote, REMOTE | Dice.com

Essential Skills:

C#, Angular, Experience with multiple development languages, including C#, Java Script, HTML and CSS.

Experience working with Microsoft technology stack (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS VCS, ADO pipelines)

Experience and working knowledge of Git source code management (including branching patterns)

Excellent communication skills listening, verbal and written

Excellent organization skills with the ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignment simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities

Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with others to establish common goals

Desire to stay current on technology trends and operational concepts and tools

Most of the work will be done in Angular, therefore someone who has used the latest version (8.3.19) would be highly preferred. But would be open to someone who has not used the latest version - as long as they have worked with Angular

Experience working with Amazon Web Services

Plusses:

Experience with Hadoop and other data tool-sets

Experience developing and maintaining RESTful APIs

Experience developing and maintaining Angular apps and components

Experience with CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment)

Experience with Cloud integration and deployment (Azure DevOps Services, AWS, etc.).

Experience with one or more public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure)

Experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) data stores

Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM and DevSecOps methodologies

:gucci::gucci::gucci:
Looks like just about every other it position on indeed or linkedin.

Even for openings that are 'entry level'

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
this one is easy, senior positions is where the difficulty is at.

This is not ridiculous at all depending on the salary. It's quite common to have touched all this stuff as an experienced developer

Learning Azure, AWS, C#, Java, Javascript is easy??? :gucci:

Maybe to y'all that got YEARS of experience... but for the average breh that don't got time to waste and need to make money now or within the next year or two, this is bonkers. A breh can learn to be an electrician, plumber, HVAC tech, get an apprenticeship and start making money in way less time than it takes to learn this "easy" stuff.

Eclipser

All Star
Daps

Don't get discouraged. Also, don't take the scenic route. You want to get 100k+ as soon as possible. Start Cracking the Coding Interview/ leetcode grinding as soon as you can and go for FAANG companies or a tier below. Never work somewhere that sees software dev as a cost center. And most of all, save the money you do make. If you do everything right you'll likely be able to retire in your 30s. Good luck young breh. :salute: