"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
What do you want though? A handout?

If you get suckered into an online course that teaches you one language and expect to be rich from coding.... in 2020... you’re unfortunately mistaken.

Like everything, you have to set yourself apart, you have to be able to create, excel, network, etc. :manny:

It's not about wanting a handout, it's about showing how unrealistic the industry has become / is becoming.

shyt, a good portion of these jobs not only want you to be a "Full Stack" Web Developer, they also want you to know AWS, Azure, Cloud Computing, and all these other things that are not necessarily Web Developing. It's no longer realistic. You might as well just have gone to school to be a doctor/lawyer/scientist. The barriers are getting bigger and bigger to get in the industry and this "Full Stack / I Know Everything" person every company is looking for is nonexistent.

Last edited:

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm Full Stack, this shyt is not easy..

Deadlines fukking suck, errors are a pain in the ass, which kill your free time.

There is such a long list of stuff you have to learn :russ:

APIs, Javascript Frameworks, PHP Frameworks, Docker, Python Frameworks, CSS, Version Control(GIT), Deployment, SQL, Servers... etc

I don't know how a coding camp can teach all these things in a couple months, it takes years of practice and implementation.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I've read a lot about a lack of job security for developers, any truth to that?

Yes and no.

Developers are engineers At the end of the day and the human component of problem solving and innovation is unmatched, AI is still ways away from being that advanced.

With that said, A good dev documents and automates as much as they can. So what once was a week long process can quickly be automated down to an hour. Thats always the existential threat of IT jobs.

Theres also the fact that for as good as you are, there's always a 20 something kid who knows everything you know and mode.

Kwabena

I am STEM.
Daps
Reppin
Antibes
The more you learn, the more you realize you don’t know anything

When I first started learning to program, it thought I’d have a job in 3 months. I couldn’t name a single data structure, nor could I implement the most rudimentary algorithms like bubble sort in code.

No sane employer is going to offer a newb a 6-figure salary.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I've read a lot about a lack of job security for developers, any truth to that?

Plenty of these companies offer "contract" positions. So unless you're with a major company (Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and some other less familiar big corps) you'll see a lot of "contract" positions and jobs that only keep you around for a specific time.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
I'm Full Stack, this shyt is not easy..

Deadlines fukking suck, errors are a pain in the ass, which kill your free time.

There is such a long list of stuff you have to learn :russ:

APIs, Javascript Frameworks, PHP Frameworks, Docker, Python Frameworks, CSS, Version Control(GIT), Deployment, SQL, Servers... etc

I don't know how a coding camp can teach all these things in a couple months, it takes years of practice and implementation.
Coding camps are a joke. How the fukk are you going to learn systems level programming or data structure principles along with just learning the basics of programming in a few months effectively?

Boot camps may be good for someone who has a background already and just needs something to fill in the gaps but there is a lot to programming besides the comp sci 101 stuff like learning about variables, vectors, and the like. Do you learn the purpose of system calls or manage memory in a coding bootcamp? I can't imagine so.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you’re gonna put in the effort to learn a skill for monetary value, at least make it something you like to do. You can get burned out on anything but if you don’t have a passion for it in the first place you’re just wasting your time

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
The requirements for this job is ridiculous

Full Stack Senior C# Developer - Precision System Design Inc. - Remote, REMOTE | Dice.com

Essential Skills:

C#, Angular, Experience with multiple development languages, including C#, Java Script, HTML and CSS.

Experience working with Microsoft technology stack (Windows Server, SQL Server, Visual Studio, TFS VCS, ADO pipelines)

Experience and working knowledge of Git source code management (including branching patterns)

Excellent communication skills listening, verbal and written

Excellent organization skills with the ability to work on multiple projects and/or assignment simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing priorities

Proven ability to work in a team-oriented environment, collaborating with others to establish common goals

Desire to stay current on technology trends and operational concepts and tools

Most of the work will be done in Angular, therefore someone who has used the latest version (8.3.19) would be highly preferred. But would be open to someone who has not used the latest version - as long as they have worked with Angular

Experience working with Amazon Web Services

Plusses:

Experience with Hadoop and other data tool-sets

Experience developing and maintaining RESTful APIs

Experience developing and maintaining Angular apps and components

Experience with CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment)

Experience with Cloud integration and deployment (Azure DevOps Services, AWS, etc.).

Experience with one or more public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS, Azure)

Experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) data stores

Knowledge of Agile/SCRUM and DevSecOps methodologies

:gucci::gucci::gucci:

Last edited:

7evens

All Star
Daps
I’m a full stack engineer. I graduated from the Flatiron school in ATL this year and yeah, it’s not easy. Less than 1/2 of those accepted make it to the end. If you get into coding thinking it’s going to be easy, then you’re wasting your time.

Continuous learning is the name of the game. There’s always something new to learn, and the languages/frameworks that you’ve learned get updated regularly.

Why would anyone pay you 100k if anyone can do it with little effort?