"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps

just gon leave this here for those who havent thrown in the towel yet

This brehs story does not resonate with the average black man learning to code :gucci:

I just skimmed thru some parts and heard him say he had the opportunity to move to silicon valley (before his software engineer job)...

See this is the shyt I'm talking about. The dishonesty around coding is crazy. Brehs like you try to make the shyt sound so attainable and easy when really stories like this is one in a million.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
This brehs story does not resonate with the average black man learning to code :gucci:

I just skimmed thru some parts and heard him say he had the opportunity to move to silicon valley (before his software engineer job)...

See this is the shyt I'm talking about. The dishonesty around coding is crazy. Brehs like you try to make the shyt sound so attainable and easy when really stories like this is one in a million.

What about the other brehs in this very site working in the tech field? They had a silver spoon too huh :martin:

Breh if you dont wanna put it in the work and learn on the job then while growing your portforlio just say that

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
Hell, I spent half of today just coding and its a weekend. If you cant be happy with continually learning then the problem is YOU, not your competition.

1) Who the hell genuinely wants to code on a Saturday?

2) Who wants to keep learning tedious tasks for the rest of their life? :gucci:

At least in a trade or other jobs once you learn your job, you learn it and can master it to the point where the job becomes easy and less stressful. Programming is a NEVER ENDING thing. The job is never finished. I've actually made websites before and it's not just a one and done thing. You constantly have to keep making improvements and keep up with the tech and features. You think when a nikka 50 years old he's gonna wanna keep learning something he should've been mastered and comfortable with by that age? Think of all the people who've mastered old programming languages and frameworks that nobody even uses now. Think of people who knew jQuery like the back of their hand and now post 2013 they gotta learn React.. and Angular, and Vue, and etc etc etc... All these back end frameworks... AWS, Azure... The list goes on. Yeah you can make 200k-300k at some point as a senior developer... SENIOR developer. That's if you can even get your foot in the door.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps

At least in a trade or other jobs once you learn your job, you learn it and can master it to the point where the job becomes easy and less stressful. Programming is a NEVER ENDING thing. The job is never finished. I've actually made websites before and it's not just a one and done thing. You constantly have to keep making improvements and keep up with the tech and features. You think when a nikka 50 years old he's gonna wanna keep learning something he should've been mastered and comfortable with by that age? Think of all the people who've mastered old programming languages and frameworks that nobody even uses now. Think of people who knew jQuery like the back of their hand and now post 2013 they gotta learn React.. and Angular, and Vue, and etc etc etc... All these back end frameworks... AWS, Azure... The list goes on. Yeah you can make 200k-300k at some point as a senior developer... SENIOR developer. That's if you can even get your foot in the door.
People who actually love learning and what they do dont mind it. I wasnt coding job tasks, just stuff I find interesting that have been on my radar lately.

If you want to do repetitive tasks that dont require constant learning then go to another field. I've never heard anyone say that you reach a point where u know everything in tech.

Anyone who has a solid foundation in software development and design (i.e Data Structures, Algorithms, design patterns, archtecture), will never have a hard time picking up a new tool, because it literally takes less than a day to learn it and less than a month to be proficient in it. Reading documentation for a new tool when you have a bit of experience is not a hard task. Im really not sure why this is an issue with you.

You do what you love, make your money, save, invest then quick when YOU want to and no longer feel like coding....then use that money you made on other ventures that interest you and live happily ever after.

If you dont like doing all that then go to another field and not try to recruit other black men to quit with you. Its okay to not like to code, not everyone is cut out for it :yeshrug:

Just stop juelzing about it acting like you need to be a savant to be successful :ufdup:

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA

Breh what are you complaining about? If software engineering isnt for you, find another profession.

Daps
There is a degree of constant learning in software development, no doubt about it, but it's not really that bad once you get your foot in the door and start learning on the job. Another myth about development is that you have to be extremely passionate about it. That is false. It's like any other career. I never hear any of my coworkers mention anything about coding some side project or going to some hackathon, it's just nonsense.

One thing that has helped me is that I've stuck to one language (Java) and its ecosystem. I hardly do any front end development. In fact, if you want to get into development with (a little) less resistance, go for backend - Java, C++, or Python. I'm a little biased, but I think Java is the safest route if you want to do back end development. Disclaimer - Java/C++ is probably the most boring route if you are the passionate/want to change the world type of person.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh... I constantly look at job openings on the regular just to see what these companies talking about. The shyt they require from an applicant is ALWAYS unrealistic AF and super discouraging. Sure you can always freelance, but I'll check those sites too and see a bunch of Indians and others offering their services for dead cheap or even free. So on a grand scale, this coding shyt is a lot harder than people like you and all these articles and youtubers make it out to be. It's right there next to doctor's, lawyers, engineers and scientist.
The reason these employers ask for everything and the kitchen sink. Is so they can get away with hiring one person instead of three people. My last 5 companies we're all severely understaffed hence the reason I left.

Usually these job ads are made up of job duties for 3 people that probably quit. The company would like to hire 1 person ideally to do the work of 3 people if they could get away with it.

Or sometimes they really don't want to refill this vacant position. But would much rather divide up the job duties between the employees that are left. So you make it damn near impossible to find someone hoping the rest of the team buys it.

I think in the next 2 years you'll see a huge drop in tech jobs.

Daps
If anyone wants to get into the Java ecosystem, take these courses (in order).

Complete Java Software Developer Masterclass (for Java 10)
Free Java Tutorial - Java Database Connection: JDBC and MySQL
JSP, Servlets and JDBC for Beginners: Build a Database App
Learn Hibernate and Spring (As A Total Beginner) Tutorial

If anyone has a degree (in anything) and are having a hard time getting in, try Revature, FDM Group, or Pyramid Consulting. Yes, the pay is crappy and there may be a 2 year commitment.

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
There is a degree of constant learning in software development, no doubt about it, but it's not really that bad once you get your foot in the door and start learning on the job. Another myth about development is that you have to be extremely passionate about it. That is false. It's like any other career. I never hear any of my coworkers mention anything about coding some side project or going to some hackathon, it's just nonsense.

One thing that has helped me is that I've stuck to one language (Java) and its ecosystem. I hardly do any front end development. In fact, if you want to get into development with (a little) less resistance, go for backend - Java, C++, or Python. I'm a little biased, but I think Java is the safest route if you want to do back end development. Disclaimer - Java/C++ is probably the most boring route if you are the passionate/want to change the world type of person.
Exacty. I mentioned it in this thread awhile ago but I work with guys who just work in the J2EE ecosystem. They come in do the 9-5 and don’t touch code outside of that. Only time they even bother to learn anything new is when it’s required for a project. And usually they have a few months of prep time to get up on it. Granted most of them have their CS degree Though. I think it can be very toxic in this industry that people feel like they need to be up on everything new piece of Technology that comes out or there a bad developer. Like any field of course there are going to be people that go above and beyond and stay on the edge of whatever field they’re in and usually will be rewarded for it. But, the vast majority of people won’t :yeshrug:

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dude all tech jobs are like this. I'm in Telecom and even basic positions are so padded out:

• Master's Degree preferred
  • 10+ years operating in strategic function
  • 8+ years doing "X" role at a large company
  • Must know the following technologies.
    • BPON/GPON/XPON/Active Optical Networking
    • DWDM/CWDM/FDM/TDM
    • AWS: EC2, S3, 15+ years in Azure a plus. :unsure:

Base Salary: $97,200

Yeah that's why even though Trump is an absolute idiot, Democrats are no better and the long-term impacts on their policies scare me as a Black man more than anything. 11M immigrants become citizens, unlimited H1Bs...nikkas gonna be in bad shape with both of those alone.
We are already in a dire situation.

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
The demand is through the roof for developers.

As in software developer?

I'm deciding which occupation to get trained in between software developer and programmer?

I really want a skill I can freelance in and do my own thing like create a software people or companies want.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As in software developer?

I'm deciding which occupation to get trained in between software developer and programmer?

I really want a skill I can freelance in and do my own thing like create a software people or companies want.

Yes.

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
How necessary is the CS degree?
Wha
When I dropped out of school I was a CS major. Was very close to graduating. When I get back to school I've been seriously considering switching my major to physics or some shyt.

A job sector (i.e.: 'software engineering') being flooded with so many people makes me uneasy. Everyone and their momma trying to learn how to code. It's like the 21st century gold rush. During the gold rush it was the people who sold shovels that made alot of money. While here it's the scam artists who sell bootcamps with false promises ('90% of my students got 6-figure jobs and you can too!!!')

I'd rather be doing some shyt that not alot of people are doing. That's how just weird I am.

Cybersecurity is the new 'gold rush' job title. It's far more graspable than software dev