"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Yogi

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dwillhuh: why not just quit?

brehs, if you're ever in something that is destroying your mental health (and I sympathize because it's happened to me), JUST LEAVE.

I left and refuse to be involved anymore for my own sanity. My sanity and peace of mind suffered greatly.
I agree, but some people can’t get past the money aspect and perceived loss in status. The article also mentioned the purchase of a dream home. They might have stretched themselves too thin and couldn’t absorb a loss in pay.

At the end of the day, a big salary ain’t worth it if you are miserable. If you can still pay your bills and take care of your family, take the fukking pay cut for better working conditions.

Last edited:
Daps
I agree, but some people can’t get past the money aspect and perceived loss in status. The article also mentioned the purchase of a dream home. They might have stretched themselves to thin and couldn’t absorb a loss in pay.

At the end of the day, a big salary ain’t worth it if you are miserable. If you can still pay your bills and take care of your family, take the fukking pay cut for better working conditions.

I get that, and I hate that mans got so stretched out that it literally broke his psyche.

That's scary, and even scarier, cause it almost happened to me before.

About 5 yrs ago, I was involved in this huge huge thing (it was so huge that it was in mainstream media almost every day for like a year straight).

I had so much on me that I felt like I was dying sometimes. I started growing gray hair and everything. Near about destroyed all relationships with family and friends. Most people didn't know the amount of stress that I was under because I was in a nondisclosure agreement and couldn't speak on it to anybody.

Man, it was wild. I still have PTSD from that stuff.

Daps
Yea I took all of those math classes. For most programming you will never need to use calculus. HOWEVER...

Calculus teaches you how to think. I look at it as a way to supplement your logical and problem solving skills. As there's the "Calculus theory" part which is extremely simple once you "get it", and the problem solving part that lots of people fail because it requires Algebra/Trig/a bit of Geometry to do well in. It really is butt easy to explain rate of change to a 3rd grader (that's how I introduce it). Cal 2 is the most difficult, and then Cal 3 is easier than 1 since you know everything and you are just doing it on multiple variables now.

Linear algebra IS important. Very, very important. If you want to do anything in regards to optimization you will need to know it. Luckily, imo, its also fun. I used to do a lot of this stuff in Excel.

Discrete math is probably the most valuable as it deals with sets and probability . If the program is for real, they'll probably give you some programming problems to do on collections, arrays, and matrices. If the teacher is dope you may even get into game playing, betting, stuff like that. As an aside, I find that some people who struggle with the algebra/trig types of math are extremely good at discrete math. They are very different for sure and if you are into stuff like card games, dominoes, games of chance -> discrete math is going to make sense very quickly for you.In fact I'd say if you are good at discrete math your chances at being a good developer are high. I'm not in the field and thus no expert, but I remember everyone who was good in these classes could basically understand programming problems well because they were able to separate the items from the actions needed to be implemented on them. Which almost maps to abstracting the implementation of an algorithm being separate from the data structures needed to support it.

I left CS the start of my senior year, and some of the classes were meh. But honestly - a CS degree is amazing for understanding how lots of things work. Even learning basic game theories in my AI classes was a huge help as I used to play lots of games for $$ back then. And you can ask others in here that are in the related fields, but imo, Computer Science stuff is basically just showing you how we developed computers to do stuff your brain already does. Stuff like sorting, searching, heuristics, software engineering -> just abstracts of what your mind already does. And I think once you "get" this, you realize CS is indeed lots of theory, but stuff that isn't ridiculously difficult to understand (at the undergraduate level anyway). Once you learn how to think like a programmer, solve problems, and implement different methods with a basic understanding of some of the theories behind it, you are good to go. No one is expecting you to create a 5th dimensional Turing machine, but they do expect you to understand A* search. And if you can do that, you won't be worried about learning a new programming language because you already know the logic behind what you need to implement. You're just picking up different lego blocks.

man, for somebody not in the field, you know a LOT, bro. Would you ever work in the industry?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:dwillhuh: why not just quit?

brehs, if you're ever in something that is destroying your mental health (and I sympathize because it's happened to me), JUST LEAVE.

I left and refuse to be involved anymore for my own sanity. My sanity and peace of mind suffered greatly.
I'll quit these sweat shop IT jobs in a heartbeat. I've left 2 companies in one calendar year because they wanted to work you to death and constantly stress you out. But some dudes with a family to support always seem stuck in these positions. For some reason companies don't think twice about working their technology people like rented mules. I just flat out refuse to stress myself out over a job.

Daps
I'll quit these sweat shop IT jobs in a heartbeat. I've left 2 companies in one calendar year because they wanted to work you to death and constantly stress you out. But some dudes with a family to support always seem stuck in these positions. For some reason companies don't think twice about working their technology people like rented mules. I just flat out refuse to stress myself out over a job.

Yeah man. Kill yourself for what?

I'm not going back to that life ever again.

Uno Venova

Your honor, I was merely capping.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
How easy was it for you to find another job after you quit with your skills?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How easy was it for you to find another job after you quit with your skills?
I have recruiters hitting me up despite seeing on my LinkedIn profile I've only been at a company a few months. Almost every time a huge security breach happens I'll get hit up non-stop about cybersecurity openings. But I've been in this field going on a decade.

The problem is a bunch of these companies are so toxic and poorly run. They'll say anything to get you in the door. Then once you start try making all kinds of demands and expecting you to work crazy hours. I just laugh and after learning anything of value quit after about 6 months. Especially if the place is a dumpster fire. So many companies are sitting ducks for hackers. They'll pay almost anything after a breach.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Not really

The job listings post all that but in reality they are looking for people who are can code and know some of those things

The job listings are made by HR people who don't know about coding and just get things from engineers and managers on what they want a person to have.

Also if a job posting has a bunch of bullshyt in it that doesn't have to do with the position or generic terms then they are probably gonna be a shyt employer and they don't even know what they are looking for

a "doctor/lawyer/scientist" doesn't have those problems.

management seems to think that you don't need to understand IT to be able to manage IT.

it is wrong and inefficient.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
a "doctor/lawyer/scientist" doesn't have those problems.

management seems to think that you don't need to understand IT to be able to manage IT.

it is wrong and inefficient.
The dumber the people in charge the more money experienced IT pros can make. You're either covering up for these morons. Or fixing all their screwups. I love when interviewing somewhere the management is computer illiterate. Because I'm about to fleece them for even more cash.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
The dumber the people in charge the more money experienced IT pros can make. You're either covering up for these morons. Or fixing all their screwups. I love when interviewing somewhere the management is computer illiterate. Because I'm about to fleece them for even more cash.

are you a chief architect?

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
man, for somebody not in the field, you know a LOT, bro. Would you ever work in the industry?

Honestly if I didn't lose focus and was more mature at the time, I'd be working in the field now. But I was young and out of control.

You ask me to choose between programming or p*ssy and :yeshrug:

I would definitely work in the industry but I would be very selective on where I go. There are horror stories about developer burnout for a reason.
And if you end up in a place where management is blind to what developers do then you could be in for a world of pain (look at the video game industry)

It is really a look before you leap kind of thing now.