"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
When I dropped out of school I was a CS major. Was very close to graduating. When I get back to school I've been seriously considering switching my major to physics or some shyt.

A job sector (i.e.: 'software engineering') being flooded with so many people makes me uneasy. Everyone and their momma trying to learn how to code. It's like the 21st century gold rush. During the gold rush it was the people who sold shovels that made alot of money. While here it's the scam artists who sell bootcamps with false promises ('90% of my students got 6-figure jobs and you can too!!!')

I'd rather be doing some shyt that not alot of people are doing. That's how just weird I am.
You're very close to graduating with a CS degree and want to change to Physics? That's not smart at all.:dwillhuh:

People have been learning to code in mass since 2013 and companies are still unable to meet the demand. That's a copout. There are literally more jobs relating to software than there are for engineering and physics combined. There are hardly any new jobs as a staff pharmacist but people still go to pharmacy school. That CS degree is gold. Once you get one job you will always be able to get another.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
When I dropped out of school I was a CS major. Was very close to graduating. When I get back to school I've been seriously considering switching my major to physics or some shyt.

A job sector (i.e.: 'software engineering') being flooded with so many people makes me uneasy. Everyone and their momma trying to learn how to code. It's like the 21st century gold rush. During the gold rush it was the people who sold shovels that made alot of money. While here it's the scam artists who sell bootcamps with false promises ('90% of my students got 6-figure jobs and you can too!!!')

I'd rather be doing some shyt that not alot of people are doing. That's how just weird I am.

My sentiments exactly.

Hell, I've even thought of creating my own course and I'm nowhere near an expert. The thing about teaching is, no one's teaching their own original topic. When a historian teaches history, all they're doing is repeating what they read from a book or learned from someone else. So essentially people are getting paid for their "style" of teaching, not necessarily if they're the best teacher or have the most experience or not. If I buy a course on Udemy, I have no idea whether the person teaching is legit or not. I just gotta take his word for it. Teaching and promising people to make money is and always has been the biggest hustle. Since coding doesn't require a degree like say a doctor or lawyer does, people been flooding the internet with their own courses and videos.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
im taking a c# class right now

no coding at all yet just research on shyt like CRD, algorithm & other shyt :francis:

asked us what kinda program we wanna make & i had no fukking idea so i just said a video game :mjlol: this not for me :mjcry:

Lmao

I hope you not paying for the class breh... You literally do not need to pay to become a coder

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

You're looking at it the wrong way. There are so many people trying to get into software & tech because there is so much demand. They've been saying it for years because tech is the future and they still don't have anywhere close to enough qualified people. There is a sizable shortage of talent.

Same way there are tons of people getting into nursing and medicine because there is a huge demand.

Amazon is hiring 33000 people right now, majority of which are tech focused and that's just one company.

Reality is a large majority of wealth that's generated for the next 20 years will come from tech.

Ignore the boot camps if they're not for you

What do you plan to do with physics?

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
You're just doing yourself a disservice at that point. Keep in mind that you are competing against Indian and Chinese kids that have been coding since age 10. A lot of them are already proficient by 18. I have seen this a lot.,
I'm a big advocate doing what is good for yourself. Not worry about what a Chinese kid whether real or imaginary is doing.

I'm telling you, as an older and wiser man, If I attempted to get my bachelor's that I have now when I was 18, I would have flunked out year two. Personally, I wasnt mature and ready for that at that age. I barely got through high school because I didn't give a fukk. I goofed around and I had a lot of issues at home and like that may explain why I did poorly. I had to work, live on my own for a while, and mature through life for me to develop the discipline that allowed me to succeed. If I had failed out younger I probabaly wouldn't have ever returned and had a been there done that attitude.

To add to this, when I was in school I saw folks who had all the AP classes, extracurricular out the ass, overperformers fail or switch majors because they weren't ready for the demand of engineering in combination with living alone and all the temptations of college life. I remember in my signals and systems class (I hate hate hated that class) after a midterm one of these dudes said he is switching to religious studies out loud and he must have meant it because I never saw him again.:pachaha:

Not everyone is prepared to go to college and do well at 18. Best to let them mature a bit more in their case. I've seen it myself outside of my own situation. It's no lie when I was getting my degree, I had homework and shyt to do everyday, including weekends. The workload was insane and left little time for little else. A lot of 18 yos aren't ready for that. Not trying to be a snob but if it was a communications degree or something less intensive sure maybe. But if it's something that requires you to work your ass off, you have to assess whether you're ready or not and act accordingly.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My sentiments exactly.

Hell, I've even thought of creating my own course and I'm nowhere near an expert. The thing about teaching is, no one's teaching their own original topic. When a historian teaches history, all they're doing is repeating what they read from a book or learned from someone else. So essentially people are getting paid for their "style" of teaching, not necessarily if they're the best teacher or have the most experience or not. If I buy a course on Udemy, I have no idea whether the person teaching is legit or not. I just gotta take his word for it. Teaching and promising people to make money is and always has been the biggest hustle. Since coding doesn't require a degree like say a doctor or lawyer does, people been flooding the internet with their own courses and videos.
It's called doing your due diligence. If you can't do that, then it isn't for you.

Besides, no course on Udemy is promising you about money. They're simply teachers teaching the topic, not evangelists, or headhunters.

goatmane

Veteran
Daps

There's so many fields INSIDE software you could do that not many ppl are doing and have big need for folks DevOPs, Cybersecurity, legacy code maintainers, embedded etc

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Supporter
Daps
Simple amateur coding is trivial and most people can do it. Making an Excel spreadsheet, probably making ten or twenty lines of code in a programming language is something most people could do I think.

As a job, two factors mess that up:

• Figuring out what to code. You just get asked, say, ‘Can you make it email me if more than five expense claims get rejected on the same day for the same person?’. How do you code that?
  • Fitting it in to existing code. You have to figure out how to fit your new code in to the existing code without breaking it. It might be millions of lines you have never seen. it might be very badly constructed and might break on small changes.
That bit is hard.

And then, we want to do better as professionals.

We want our code to have automated tests, which changes how you design it a bit.

We want it to be easy to deploy to computers, so you have to design that in.

We want it free from security holes, to keep data safe.

We want to never corrupt any data.

We want our colleagues to easily read and easily change our code, which needs designing in.

We want our code to be robust and correctly handle bad data, bad user input and anything else ‘unexpected’. We have to learn to expect that.

Those bits are pretty hard, too.

Then, our bosses want to know when all that is going to be ready, so they can plan around it. Once the TV advert goes live, that software better be running.

That’s hard.

We have to juggle competing priorities of adding features, managing tech debt and fixing bugs.

There’s no right answer for that. Somebody is always disappointed.

We have to cope with floods of new users and feature requests that are difficult to build. The whole ‘scalability’ piece is hard.

The code needs to stay running 24/7 or close to it - even if half the computers, disk drives, cooling systems, internet switches and electrical power fails.

That adds a bit of trickyness for sure.

We need to use existing libraries wherever we can, so we need to understand code we’ve not written. Tricky. But trickier still, we need to be part-time lawyers, because we have to check we are legally allowed to use that code without it affecting the business.

We need to remember somebody pays for all the computing our code runs on, so we have to make it play nice.

We have to work for and with people who range from fantastic humans to the sort you’d rather not spend time with. And with all ranges of skill levels.

That’s a real mixed bag.

We have to know so much about computing, engineering, the problem area we are solving, testing.

Coding isn’t hard - if you are left alone to code what you want, when you want, how you want and keep the option to just give up when it gets too hard.

That’s the really hard bit: we can’t do that.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Simple amateur coding is trivial and most people can do it. Making an Excel spreadsheet, probably making ten or twenty lines of code in a programming language is something most people could do I think.

As a job, two factors mess that up:

• Figuring out what to code. You just get asked, say, ‘Can you make it email me if more than five expense claims get rejected on the same day for the same person?’. How do you code that?
  • Fitting it in to existing code. You have to figure out how to fit your new code in to the existing code without breaking it. It might be millions of lines you have never seen. it might be very badly constructed and might break on small changes.
That bit is hard.

And then, we want to do better as professionals.

We want our code to have automated tests, which changes how you design it a bit.

We want it to be easy to deploy to computers, so you have to design that in.

We want it free from security holes, to keep data safe.

We want to never corrupt any data.

We want our colleagues to easily read and easily change our code, which needs designing in.

We want our code to be robust and correctly handle bad data, bad user input and anything else ‘unexpected’. We have to learn to expect that.

Those bits are pretty hard, too.

Then, our bosses want to know when all that is going to be ready, so they can plan around it. Once the TV advert goes live, that software better be running.

That’s hard.

We have to juggle competing priorities of adding features, managing tech debt and fixing bugs.

There’s no right answer for that. Somebody is always disappointed.

We have to cope with floods of new users and feature requests that are difficult to build. The whole ‘scalability’ piece is hard.

The code needs to stay running 24/7 or close to it - even if half the computers, disk drives, cooling systems, internet switches and electrical power fails.

That adds a bit of trickyness for sure.

We need to use existing libraries wherever we can, so we need to understand code we’ve not written. Tricky. But trickier still, we need to be part-time lawyers, because we have to check we are legally allowed to use that code without it affecting the business.

We need to remember somebody pays for all the computing our code runs on, so we have to make it play nice.

We have to work for and with people who range from fantastic humans to the sort you’d rather not spend time with. And with all ranges of skill levels.

That’s a real mixed bag.

We have to know so much about computing, engineering, the problem area we are solving, testing.

Coding isn’t hard - if you are left alone to code what you want, when you want, how you want and keep the option to just give up when it gets too hard.

That’s the really hard bit: we can’t do that.
:dahell: this "poor me" mentality you be on isnt gonna get you anywhere Breh. This skill doesnt just fall on you. You work on this shyt everyday. You research, read on your own time. Its just how it is even for crackers and Asians.

You want to just sleep and wake up a master programmer? :snoop: