"Just learn to Code" they said... the TRUTH about Coding / Programming Jobs

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
As in software developer?

I'm deciding which occupation to get trained in between software developer and programmer?

I really want a skill I can freelance in and do my own thing like create a software people or companies want.

The demand is through the roof for "TALENTED/HIGHLY SKILLED" developers. BIG difference. I made this thread not to discourage anyone, but to let people know EXACTLY what they're getting into.

"The demand is insane" , "the demand is through the roof" crowd always leaves out that part... That's why it's so laughable when you see these bootcamps lying saying "become a software developer in 14 weeks!" , "Become an engineer in 3 months!" It's a crock of shyt! Technically a "Hello World" string is considered a "program." A "to do list" is a program.

But the industry isn't asking for developers that can make basic "hello world", "rock paper scissors" and calculator apps/programs... This is where they get people... It's so dishonest. They want programmers that can make BIG COMPLEX PROJECTS which require lots of knowledge/years of experience. People with that type of knowledge and experience are the ones you're competing against in the job market.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The demand is through the roof for "TALENTED/HIGHLY SKILLED" developers. BIG difference. I made this thread not to discourage anyone, but to let people know EXACTLY what they're getting into.

"The demand is insane" , "the demand is through the roof" crowd always leaves out that part... That's why it's so laughable when you see these bootcamps lying saying "become a software developer in 14 weeks!" , "Become an engineer in 3 months!" It's a crock of shyt! Technically a "Hello World" string is considered a "program." A "to do list" is a program.

But the industry isn't asking for developers that can make basic "hello world", "rock paper scissors" and calculator apps/programs... This is where they get people... It's so dishonest. They want programmers that can make BIG COMPLEX PROJECTS which require lots of knowledge/years of experience. People with that type of knowledge and experience are the ones you're competing against in the job market.

Bruh, I think that's pretty obvious. Companies want people that can code. A bootcamp is not close to enough. You're going to get tough coding questions at the interview. They're going tow ant to see projects as well. This isn't something you can just figure out in a couple months and earn a living. And this coming from someone who's been around code for 15+ years. I can read code and have held positions where I had to review code, edit code, etc and STILL wouldn't feel comfortable in a dev role.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Bruh, I think that's pretty obvious. Companies want people that can code. A bootcamp is not close to enough. You're going to get tough coding questions at the interview. They're going tow ant to see projects as well. This isn't something you can just figure out in a couple months and earn a living. And this coming from someone who's been around code for 15+ years. I can read code and have held positions where I had to review code, edit code, etc and STILL wouldn't feel comfortable in a dev role.

Point is the average person isn't being told these things in ads, YouTube videos, websites, and in programs. There's a lot of dishonesty and people only boasting about the good things, which is mainly the money and working remotely aspect. Had I known it was going to be this difficult just to get your foot in the door as an average developer I would've never spent the last year and a half learning this shyt. That's a year and a half I could've spent learning a trade and would've already been working and getting to the money. Most people don't got 5 years to spend trying to learn some shyt so they can finally get to work and make money. And even then, spending all that time doesn't guarantee you will find work, whether via company or freelancing.

All you read and hear is shyt like "now more than ever is the best time to learn coding :krs::krs::krs::krs:"

But they leave out all the shyt that I'm addressing in this thread. I just wish the industry would just tell the truth. It's more than just learning one language. It's learning 3+ languages, multiple frameworks, git, API's, hosting services, cloud, back end, and a bunch of other things I can't recall at the moment. The amount of competition, the spirit crushing interviews, the stressful work, the fact that you won't even spend as much time writing code on the actual job, deadlines, meetings, "fitting the culture" , etc.... Literally nowhere else on the internet really addresses or points out these things like this thread does and maybe some posts on reddit.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
:stopitslime: Negroe give me more than this. Do you recommend software developer or programmer? Or are they kinda the same thing?

Programmer/developer get used interchangeably. They're the same. Web developer and software developer are different. I guess you can tell from my posts what my opinion is. Just make sure you really really wanna do this... It's a tough road ahead and nothing is guaranteed. Be prepared for a lot of frustration and highs and lows. More lows than highs. More no's than yes'. Lots of stress and things never working the way they should.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Point is the average person isn't being told these things in ads, YouTube videos, websites, and in programs. There's a lot of dishonesty and people only boasting about the good things, which is mainly the money and working remotely aspect. Had I known it was going to be this difficult just to get your foot in the door as an average developer I would've never spent the last year and a half learning this shyt. That's a year and a half I could've spent learning a trade and would've already been working and getting to the money. Most people don't got 5 years to spend trying to learn some shyt so they can finally get to work and make money. And even then, spending all that time doesn't guarantee you will find work, whether via company or freelancing.

All you read and hear is shyt like "now more than ever is the best time to learn coding :krs::krs::krs::krs:"

But they leave out all the shyt that I'm addressing in this thread. I just wish the industry would just tell the truth. It's more than just learning one language. It's learning 3+ languages, multiple frameworks, git, API's, hosting services, cloud, back end, and a bunch of other things I can't recall at the moment. The amount of competition, the spirit crushing interviews, the stressful work, the fact that you won't even spend as much time writing code on the actual job, deadlines, meetings, "fitting the culture" , etc.... Literally nowhere else on the internet really addresses or points out these things like this thread does and maybe some posts on reddit.

You don't necessarily have to learn 3+ languages. If you learn Java you are good. No issues you will get hired. Plus you can learn other languages on the job. A lot of the other shyt you posed like GIT API's, etc you can learn on your own or on the job. It's not hard. It's mainly experience IMO. I'll say I've been in the corporate world for longer than I was in school but I learned so much through experience. You are right though, it's not about JUST learning a language, you will have to learn other shyt. And you have to know shyt to the point where you can get yourself out of issues. Especially if you're working with deployments and shyt. You just have to be able to pick things up and continue to work at them. A lot of stuff gets left out but I figure that's the case with other roles as well.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

There's going to be competition in every field though

if you are afraid of competition you might as well just die

expecting to make money without having to compete is a pipe dream lmao,

I tried to the coding shyt, realized it takes up too much time, so I just found projects and out sourced the work lmao, life is a sales job, if you can make a sell you don't have to do any manual labor, leave that up to the people who can do the most efficiently

Uno Venova

Your honor, I was merely capping.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This This and This all day!!

The reality is Technology advances faster than most business can adopt them. Nobody is uprooting their Windows Server 2012 R2 / SCCM infrastructure over night to implement and building a fully open source/ public cloud infrastructure.

Another thing with all these hot new technologies that get hyped every month. They're just like the XXL Freshmen 15; Some will find their niche but most will get a hot summer and go on to do nothing.
I know I'm bumping this thread but your posts spoke to me breh, so what languages did you get started in? I'm getting the impression it's better to start and get better at the basics and older languages vs the newer shyt?

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
@Dap Fishin you're not wrong in your opening post but I'll just say it's not as bad as you make it seem once you get your foot in the door. Your first few years will be you drinking from a fire hose but if you commit yourself to the discipline and learn as much as you can, you'll have a good foundation for the rest of your career to work off of. The other part is just being able to learn as you go; the majority of the senior level people I know will tell you that even they don't know everything and just make shyt up as they move along.

I've seen plenty of average and even bad devs stay afloat in the industry.

Daps
This story still makes me sad. I don't know if there is another industry that needs to address mental health more than this one. He must have burnt out completely.

An Uber engineer killed himself. His widow says the workplace is to blame.

:dwillhuh: why not just quit?

brehs, if you're ever in something that is destroying your mental health (and I sympathize because it's happened to me), JUST LEAVE.

I left and refuse to be involved anymore for my own sanity. My sanity and peace of mind suffered greatly.