Joe Montana is still the GOAT in my eyes

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Joe is the goat Qb but Brady is in that top 5 athlete category

It's sort of like Muhammed Ali...he's in the top 5 athlete list but there's alot of debate about him being the best boxer ever

For the record Jerry Rice is my all time football GOAT

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Montana got owned by LT’s giants so I don’t see how that’s an argument in his favor.

This is an example of narrative based posting. The 49ers and giants from 1981-1990 faced eachother 4 times in the playoffs and they were 2-2 against eachother.

You crafted your narrative from youtube highlights of montana getting knocked out of both games and you concluded Montana was "owned" by the giants :mjlol:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The defenses today are nowhere near as good as they used to be. Also offense is just too easy these days. Joe the GOAT of his era. Tom the GOAT of his era. QBs don't even get hit anymore. They used to get decapitated in Joe's day hence shorter careers for both him and Steve. Steve left concussed and Joe's body broke down.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The defenses today are nowhere near as good as they used to be. Also offense is just too easy these days. Joe the GOAT of his era. Tom the GOAT of his era. QBs don't even get hit anymore. They used to get decapitated in Joe's day hence shorter careers for both him and Steve. Steve left concussed and Joe's body broke down.
Right not to mention joe operated under center so you had less time to read the defense and you had to make quicker decisions with the football jim kelly kgun and dan in miami really ushered in the shotgun era along with some others

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Right that chiefs bills game a few weeks ago was exciting, but that was some of the worse defense i ever seen in my life. So much for that advanced schemes :mjlol:

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
To me they are both the goats of their era. It’s impossible to say one way or the other how they would fare in eachothers era. The game is too different. To me Montana was the goat until 28-3, that put brady over the top to me. Understandable if you grew up watching Joe you would still favor him in that spot.

And Brady was a HOF qb before these rule changes you all like to keep bringing up. He left his defense with a lead and little time on the clock in both giants games. He threw for 500 yards in another loss.

Also with it being such a busy newsweek i see some still believe in deflategate while info has since come out the last few days about the nfl destroying evidence that would have favored the patriots basically Tom shouldnt have been suspended. But yall dont care, some still think 11/12 balls were under inflated :snoop:

Report: NFL covered up key Deflategate evidence that favored Pats

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Right not to mention joe operated under center so you had less time to read the defense and you had to make quicker decisions with the football jim kelly kgun and dan in miami really ushered in the shotgun era along with some others

I wonder how many mediocre QBs from back in the day woulda ate in today's league. Jeff George woulda been eating!!!!

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It’s nitpicking at that level - I have Brady 1 and Montana 2 - but Young stepping in and winning 2 league MVPs and a Super Bowl in the same system in the 3 following years, not to mention playing with the GOAT receiver for 3 of his bowls. SF also had a top-5 scoring defense for 8 of his 10 years as a starter.

Injuries: Montana ‘91 and Brady ‘08 are both potential massive seasons.

Again, I have Montana 2nd though

Copy Ninja

Superstar
Daps
The NFC won 13 straight SB's in Montana's career so what "lesser" team are you referring to?

"Lesser" meaning Brady's season ended with a loss to a team in the SB but Montana's season ended with a loss to a team not even making the SB.

My overall point was a response to that poster who insinuated Montana's is 4-0 in the SB > Brady's 7-3 record in the SB.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Yes he would. Put him in shotgun and slang it. Look at all the mediocre QBs putting up monster numbers. George woulda been balling. Jake Plummer too.
What did you consider to be the cutoff year for the passing explosion?? I say 2011.