Joe Montana is still the GOAT in my eyes

BucciMane

Kristina Schulman Bro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Real Titletown
Bum ass defenses in the 80's.:mjlol:.

Just because you could get away with hitting players more doesn't mean the defenses were better then.:mjlol:.

Defensive players today are significantly better when looking from top to bottom of a roster, and the schemes are more advanced as well. That's just a fact.:yeshrug:.

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I absolutely loathe Brady. I like Montana much more, and his style of play definitely appeals more to me.

But I just can't argue against Brady at this point. Maybe prime for prime it is a good discussion. But when you look at his consistent greatness over the course of a very long career, you have to give it to Brady.

Montana had a lot of low points that people don't remember. And Montana was very injury prone. Brady's teams never got blown out (as far as I can remember --- someone please correct me if I am wrong). It is scary how even when his teams lost, Brady pretty much had them in it until the very end. He was like that movie villain who would just never die. Think of the Rams-Bucs game we just saw. Or the Broncos-Pats in 2015 when he missed on a two-point conversion to tie the game. Or the Super Bowls against the Giants ...

Brady didn not have them in that ram bucs game or the broncos game especially the Rams bucs game rams fumbling the ball 4 times had them in in it you not about. To credit Brady for that

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
There is no evidence that getting by Haley or Marshall is any more brutal than getting hit by Suggs or Joey Porter. And Brady faced Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp and J.J Watt and Aaron Donald.
You using Derrick Thomas is disingenuous. Not only was he drafted in 89, but Montana didnt play on 91 or 92 and he played on the same team with Joe on 93 and 94. Terrible point. Joe Klecko did get sacks. They werent called the New York Sack Exchange for just Gastineau. So Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler can deal with Bruce Smith, but Brady nt?? Brady is bigger, stronger and tougher than Joe. Brady gets up from.hits that wouldve severely hurt Joe. Grady Jarrett rock bottomed Brady in SB 51. Im pretty sure an angry, roided Shawne Merrimab can generate massive force. The Broncos hit Brady an NFL season high 20 times in the 2015 AFC championship, yet they were still a 2 pt conversion from OT. Montana doesnt deserve extra credit for being light in the ass. Brady wouldve killed those basic ass defenses. Wouldnt even had to make it a chess match. Pre snap would be simple as hell. Ask the NYG or the Broncos or Steelers etc how soft Tom Brady

With all due respect you’re being quite delusional I am comparing the 2 different errors you are comparing Montana’s teams with the players that he had to go against

and bringing up players like Ray Lewis in this conversation doesn’t make any sense if you wanna go there I could’ve easily added Mike Singletary to my list the fact is those two old time greats were middle linebackers ; so I don’t again I don’t understand why would you even bring Rae into this

And I assume you really Misinformed because bringing up the New York Giants is pretty ridiculous I remember all the media talk after that undefeated New England team losing the SB … And every report that came out said Brady was basically terrified during that whole game because the Giants D line dominated. it actually became a staple into beating the PATS … if you can put pressure on Brady with your front 4 without blitzing was the easiest way to defeat them -which became the talk for well over a decade that he very uncomfortable under pressure
so I don’t understand what the hell you’re saying about Tom Brady being this tough guy

download

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Why are you all making up shyt :dead:

Receievers could get mauled before the ‘78 rule changes. It changed after that.

And the Bill Walsh offense was basically dinking and dunking compared to the long developing passing schemes everyone else was doing.

no you have it wrong in ‘77 or ‘78 they implement it what I believe is called the “Mel Blount rule” - because back then the defender was able to pretty much tackle the receiver before he can even begin his route

thereafter in the Montana/Walsh era those same defenders could grab the receiver (not tackle/haul) up until 10 yards I believe in which changed about a 2 and a half decade later with the “Ty Law rule” because Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts kept complaining to the commissioner and that’s when receivers and tight ends numbers exploded … so you would happen to be wrong by saying in Montana’s era those receivers play under the same rule as Bradys era

and finally the Bill Walsh “west Coast offense” was nothing like dinking n dunking … basically was a change from the previous generation of football which was a more vertical game where the quarterback would do a 5 to 6 step drop back or shotgun to throw the ball 30 - 40 yards downfield see Steelers Raiders Cowboys etc. etc. so getting back to the “west coast offense” it was more of a side to side or horizontal game where the receivers and backs were in motion and it was a quick 3 step back no shotgun by the quarterback in out of their hands to the receiver while they was in motion and that basically produce what we call YAC yards after catch
so please stop this nonsense about making shyt up
I am a 49er fan from way back inna days… I know what I’m talking about

broller

Veteran
Daps
Funny thing is if this didn’t happen…

He loses the SB and maybe never becomes the Montana we know today.

People like to forget that even the best players had luck on their side. It’s happened to nearly all the great QBs

Facts. In single game elimination sports, there is so much variance.

broller

Veteran
Daps
Bum ass defenses in the 80's.:mjlol:.

Just because you could get away with hitting players more doesn't mean the defenses were better then.:mjlol:.

Defensive players today are significantly better when looking from top to bottom of a roster, and the schemes are more advanced as well. That's just a fact.:yeshrug:.

Offenses evolved too though.

Also it definitely is easier to play O now.
Even Brady says playing offense now is easier than it was when he first entered the league.

premier58

All Star
Daps
With all due respect you’re being quite delusional I am comparing the 2 different errors you are comparing Montana’s teams with the players that he had to go against

and bringing up players like Ray Lewis in this conversation doesn’t make any sense if you wanna go there I could’ve easily added Mike Singletary to my list the fact is those two old time greats were middle linebackers ; so I don’t again I don’t understand why would you even bring Rae into this

And I assume you really Misinformed because bringing up the New York Giants is pretty ridiculous I remember all the media talk after that undefeated New England team losing the SB … And every report that came out said Brady was basically terrified during that whole game because the Giants D line dominated. it actually became a staple into beating the PATS … if you can put pressure on Brady with your front 4 without blitzing was the easiest way to defeat them -which became the talk for well over a decade that he very uncomfortable under pressure
so I don’t understand what the hell you’re saying about Tom Brady being this tough guy

download
Im being delusional?? How so?? Justin Tuck and Strahan said he was always there and never rattled. Pressure with 4 ia the recipe to give any QB trouble. Very stupid comment. Going back to the 70s. The Steel Curtain would get pressure with 4, thats why they were so formidable, as were the Purple People Eaters, Fearsome Foursome. You literally tried to list DT as an opponent for Montana when they only played one year as potential opponents in opposite conferences. Bradys has won plenty of games while being hit. He got a ton in SB 51 and still led them back, Freeney used to get a Brady and Brady would still play well and win. The Ravens were drilling Brady in 2014 in the Divisional Playoffs. He came.back down 14, twice!! The Niners were wreaking havoc in 2012 on Brady ahd he still led them back down 31-3 to tie the game. Joe is so tough that they went and traded for Young after getting that ass taxed 49-3. Then he got benched.in the playoffs after getting that ass taxed again in 87. And got benched!!! Has Tom Brady ever got benched in a playoff game?? Has he ever been knocked out in a playoff game?? Brady played against many killers.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
10 super now appearances and 7 wins is a lot of “luck”

You missed the point...

People like to use those instances as negative talking points against players, except the players they like

People say stuff about Brady like...

he was bailed out by the tuck rule
he was bailed out by his defense
if Russ hands the ball off the Marshawn he loses
if the Falcons weren't idiots he loses

But even players like Montana made dumb decisions and got bailed out. Yet nobody diminishes his legacy for that