Joe Montana is still the GOAT in my eyes

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Huh? You in this thread claimed that mediocre QBs from the past would eat in this era. They were eating in the 80’s you just forgot about them. The league became pass happy after the 1978 rule changes on pass coverage and pass blocking.

QBs have been protected for generations. Johnny Unitas and Otto Graham were laughing at the protections/rules that Montana and Marino got

and you took that to mean only great qbs had good seasons. :mjlol:

Anyone who watched in the 80s and 90s can tell you the league has changed. It’s night and day different and the league made a conscious decision to elevate the QB and go hard on offense. Anyone disputing that is a fool.

Not the only league who has done this either. Look at the numbers when Gretzky played. A different era. Dmen were putting up PPG numbers. This is why you need to consider eras when comparing players from different eras.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I thought we bragged about who we beat not who bussed your ass? If you want to brag about beating a 9 win giants team have at it:russ:

in regards to that ranking
85 bears
84 49ers
86 Giants
90 Giants
83 Redskins
Wtf are you saying? You fault the 49ers for other teams losibg to that 9 win giants :dwillhuh:

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
and you took that to mean only great qbs had good seasons. :mjlol:

Anyone who watched in the 80s and 90s can tell you the league has changed. It’s night and day different and the league made a conscious decision to elevate the QB and go hard on offense. Anyone disputing that is a fool.

Not the only league who has done this either. Look at the numbers when Gretzky played. A different era. Dmen were putting up PPG numbers. This is why you need to consider eras when comparing players from different eras.

“anyone who watched the 50’s and 60’s can tell you that the league has changed.”-Old heads in 1986.

And they were right. Montana Marino Elway and Fouts had it so much easier than Unitas Graham and Dawson

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
New nikkas?!?! You dont even fukking know me. I grew up in the 80s. The era Brady played in from 2000-2010 had the same physicality as Joes era. Please tell me how Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, John Elway, Ron Jaworski, Joe Montana, Vinny Testaverde, Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Phil Simms etc. How did they all play so long?? Yall love to overexaggerrate.

:snoop:

The Evolution of Passing in the NFL
Since 1995, the NFL has allowed a WR forced out of bounds by a defender to return in bounds and make a play. This helped eliminate the move of "chucking" a WR out of bounds to remove him from a play. In 1996, the NFL announced they'd actually enforce the illegal contact penalty, created in 1978, more stringently than before. The rule was no longer just a recommendation. In 2001, the NFL announced Roughing the QB penalty would be enforced more strictly and specifically targeted late hits. By 2002, they protected the QB even further by barring helmet-to-helmet contact with a QB at any time, even after a change of possession. The NFL again tightened down enforcement of already existing rules for illegal contact, pass interference, and defensive holding in 2004. QBs received even more protection in 2006 when the NFL barred hits to the QBs below their knees unless the defensive player was blocked into the QB. WRs saw additional protection in 2009 when contact to the head of a defenseless receiver was prohibited. The NFL expanded the rules for defenseless receivers to include all players in 2010. They also threatened an additional crackdown on these penalties and threatened players with suspensions.

breh … Brady played inna completely different era then Montana - So even trying to attempt to make this a discussion/debate is utterly asinine

premier58

All Star
Daps
:snoop:

The Evolution of Passing in the NFL

breh … Brady played inna completely different era then Montana - So even trying to attempt to make this a discussion/debate is utterly asinine
I dont give a fukk about some articles, I go by what I saw. So how did Brady separate his shoulder in 2002 if he wasnt getting hit?? Broke 3 ribs without getting hit? I watched Dan Morgan headbutt him to the chin in SB 38. Jason Taylor used to terrorize Brady. I watched Dumervil and Jay Alford split him and Grady Jarrett was ragdolling him in SB 51. Montana was frail. Stop acting like he waa getting brutalized every week.

premier58

All Star
Daps
I guess unless your legs get folded these Montana dudes think these kinda hits are soft

MedicalPoliteHorsefly-max-1mb.gif
Exactly. Post the Dumervil hit. Its just jealousy, thats all.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Who said that? I just don’t understand picking one guy who had a good season. Cats now are routinely dwarfing those seasons on a regular basis. The league has changed and it is way more pass happy and rules made to boost offense. I don’t even know why this is even being argued.

retards posting gifs of a hit “see Brady took real hits too”. Give me a fukking break, no one said qbs don’t on occasion take hits outside of the pocket. They are protected when previously thry were treated like any other player with the ball.
So Montana waa getting jacked up every week?? Joes punishment us remembered because it led to him getting hurt for significant stretches of time. Give me the signature hits on Elway and Marino or Kelly. I will be waiting on your reply.

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I said there was nothing special about the teams Montana beat in the NFC playoffs. Whose the best team he beat, the 88 bears?
Lol tell me about those "special teams" Brady beat? Normally teams that dont win anything arent regarded as "special" What was that all time squad new england beat? The mental gymnastics are insane here

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Respond with more than a smiley. Prove me wrong. You acting like QBs were getting Wilbur Marshall'd every week.

They were... Stop the charade. QB's were getting hit in the head/above the shoulders and on the legs... which has since been penalized and defenders would drive QBs into the ground and fall on top of them with all of their weight..

You chose some QBs who were able to have lengthy careers but i don't see you discussing Young and Troy both of which had to retire because of concussions and yeah Favre stayed around forever and was addicted to pain pills because of that...

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
:mjlol:

Having so many moving parts is what makes winning Super Bowls infinitely harder

Not when your coach is a defensive genius and literally the best to ever do it. Walsh was a genius too but the difference is he retired. Doesn't matter because by that point Joe was already messed up with injuries.. far less rules to protect the QB.