Joe Biden Just Delivered the Speech Democrats Have Been Desperate for Him to Give

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
greedflation, not inflation :ufdup:

The biggest study of ‘greedflation’ yet looked at 1,300 corporations to find many of them were lying to you about inflation​

BY RYAN HOGG

December 8, 2023 at 6:27 AM EST

GettyImages-1813812682-e1702032523930.jpg

LI JIANGUO—XINHUA/GETTY IMAGES

As they rolled their eyes at the frustratingly familiar sight of price markups in grocery store aisles, shoppers in 2022 might have wondered whether corporations were doing everything they could to keep prices down as inflation hit generational highs. The answer now appears to be a resounding no.

A joint study by think tanks IPPR and Common Wealth found profiteering by some of the world’s biggest companies forced prices up significantly higher than costs during 2022.

Greedflation

Inflation soared across the globe last year, peaking near 11% in the eurozone and above 9% in the U.S.

The source of that high inflation has become a well-trodden line. Analysts have typically laid the blame on supply-chain bottlenecks created by excess demand during the COVID-19 pandemic and exacerbated by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The war also increased energy prices, leading to further rises in inflation as suppliers factored in higher transport and running costs.

While this obviously contributed to rising prices, the report finds that company profits increased at a much faster rate than costs did, in a process often dubbed “greedflation.”

Profits for companies in some of the world’s largest economies rose by 30% between 2019 and 2022, significantly outpacing inflation, according to the group’s research of 1,350 firms across the U.S., the U.K., Europe, Brazil, and South Africa.

In the U.K., the research found that 90% of profit increases occurred among just 11% of publicly listed firms. Profiteering was more broad in the U.S., where a third of publicly listed firms were responsible for most of the increase in profits.

The biggest perpetrators were energy companies like Shell, Exxon Mobil, and Chevron, which were able to enjoy massive profits last year as demand moved away from Russian oil and gas.

Food producers including Kraft Heinz realized their own profit surges. The war in Ukraine rocked global grain supplies and fertilizer prices, significantly increasing the cost of food, which remains sticky.

The findings add to a growing body of research seeking to highlight the role of major businesses in forcing up inflation last year.

A June study by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) found that 45% of eurozone inflation in 2022 could be attributed to domestic profits. Companies in a position to benefit most from higher commodity prices and supply-demand mismatches raised their profits by the most, the study found.

CEOs of the world’s biggest companies consistently sounded the alarm on inflation as a significant barrier to growth. Many blamed rising input costs on their own price hikes. However, lots of those CEOs appear to have instead used the panic of rising costs to pump up their balance sheet.

In April, Société Générale economist Albert Edwards released a scathing note saying he hadn’t seen anything like the current levels of corporate greed in his four decades working in finance. He said companies were using the war in Ukraine as an excuse to hike prices in search of profits.

“The end of Greedflation must surely come. Otherwise, we may be looking at the end of capitalism,” Edwards wrote. “This is a big issue for policymakers that simply cannot be ignored any longer.”

Prices coming down

Inflation is now beginning to regulate in most major economies and coming closer to most central banks’ targeted 2%. Some companies that previously passed rising costs on to customers to continue making a profit have now sought to repay them with price cuts.

Last week, Ikea stores owner Ingka’s deputy CEO said the company would be spending $1.1 billion to absorb inflation and bring down the prices of goods in its stores.

“People have thin wallets, but they still have needs, dreams, and frustrations,” Juvencio Maeztu told Fortune.

In November, Walmart CEO Doug McMillon suggested the era of high inflation in the U.S. was over, and shoppers may soon begin to experience a contraction in prices—known as “deflation”—in company stores.

oil companies don't want to increase supply because they want more profits.

This is what all these companies are doing.
Coli bootlickers don't want to address this one.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
did he mention anything about universal healthcare, legalization of weed/prison reform, or providing student loan forgiveness or a new system to pay for college?

Or did he just mention something about fighting Trumpers and funding Israel and Ukraine’s wars?

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Ok so what is he gonna give SPECIFICALLY to african americans for voting for him???:jbhmm: besides trump is the boogeyman what specifics are we gonna get for keeping you in office??? Nothing right??? :camby: vote your interests my friends...
Yeah definitely vote for police racial corruption..thats the Republican way.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Yeah definitely vote for police racial corruption..thats the Republican way.

I didnt say vote republican...:dahell: why the fukk is that always yall knee jerk reactions???:mindblown: other people are also running for president or you can just vote locally and not vote for president... The choice IS YOURS... Why cant black folks vote for whoever they want without yall yelling at us about republicans??? :scust: both parties is trash

bnew

Veteran
Daps
did he mention anything about universal healthcare, legalization of weed/prison reform, or providing student loan forgiveness or a new system to pay for college?

Or did he just mention something about fighting Trumpers and funding Israel and Ukraine’s wars?

he needs a democratic majority in congress with more progressives in elected office to accomplish all that. hopefully the 2024 elections will bring us that.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
“Kill all the babies you want just keep the borders open so my cousins can join me”

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I didnt say vote republican...:dahell: why the fukk is that always yall knee jerk reactions???:mindblown: other people are also running for president or you can just vote locally and not vote for president... The choice IS YOURS... Why cant black folks vote for whoever they want without yall yelling at us about republicans??? :scust: both parties is trash

in a two party system it's simple addition and subtraction and if we take away votes for democrats, then that just leaves the presidency and other elected offices for republicans to take. many reasonable people find that untenable especially the republicans against trump camp.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
in a two party system it's simple addition and subtraction and if we take away votes for democrats, then that just leaves the presidency and other elected offices for republicans to take. many reasonable people find that untenable especially the republicans against trump camp.

Oh well give something for us to vote for then...:manny: you got more smoke for me then patel or Rosenblum that vote for the republicans..:sas2: we've here heard it all before since the last election.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
“Kill all the babies you want just keep the borders open so my cousins can join me”

House Republican says he won't accept a border deal because it may help Biden politically​

Bryan Metzger

Jan 4, 2024, 10:04 AM EST

Republican Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas at a hearing on Capitol Hill in April 2023.

Republican Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas at a hearing on Capitol Hill in April 2023.
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call via Getty Images

• Senators are trying to hash out a border security deal that's acceptable to both parties.
  • But one House Republican says he's unlikely to support it if it helps President Joe Biden politically.
  • "I'm not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat," Rep. Troy Nehls said.

As senators work on a compromise deal to address border security and immigration, at least one Republican is suggesting politics is a key motivator for him.

"Let me tell you, I'm not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden's approval rating," Republican Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas told CNN this week. "I will not help the Democrats try to improve this man's dismal approval ratings. I'm not going to do it. Why would I?"

Nehls indicated he'd accept only a proposal similar to HR 2, a hardline immigration bill that got zero Democratic votes when it passed the House last year.

"Chuck Schumer has had HR 2 on his desk since July," Nehls said, referring to the Senate majority leader. "And he did nothing with it."

Border security and immigration have emerged as a weak spot for Biden, with just 38% of respondents in one recent poll saying they approved of his handling of immigration.

But it's not the first time Nehls has seemed to say the quiet part out loud.

The Texas Republican and ally of former President Donald Trump told USA Today in December that he wanted to give Trump "a little bit of ammo to fire back" by impeaching Biden.

Over 60 House Republicans traveled to the US-Mexico border on Wednesday, and many are saying they're unlikely to accept a compromise on border security hashed out by the Senate.

HR 2, known as the Secure the Border Act of 2023, would entail a broader rewrite of the country's immigration laws, including curtailing migrants' ability to seek asylum in the US and forcing the continued construction of a wall on the border.

Meanwhile, senators have been working behind closed doors on a deal that's unlikely to go as far as HR 2 but may satisfy enough Republicans and Democrats to pass the Senate.

Republicans have insisted that border security be addressed before any further aid can be provided to Ukraine and Israel.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Yes I’m aware they are the same.

You aren’t.

That’s the problem.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Oh well give something for us to vote for then...:manny: you got more smoke for me then patel or Rosenblum that vote for the republicans..:sas2: we've here heard it all before since the last election.

what do you think they're doing with your tax money as you sit on the sidelines not voting and advocating for people to do the same, they aren't directing funds into black neighborhoods but cause they don't live there. they'll happily take your taxes and enrich their own community while you wait for something to happen. this site is constantly derisive of women but i've never seen a group of any women of any race or ethnic group advocate not voting to get their way.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
what do you think they're doing with your tax money as you sit on the sidelines not voting and advocating for people to do the same, they aren't directing funds into black neighborhoods but cause they don't live there. they'll happily take your taxes and enrich their own community while you wait for something to happen. this site is constantly derisive of women but i've never seen a group of any women of any race or ethnic group advocate not voting to get their way.

And we have a say so on what happens with our tax dollars?!? So your telling me biden gonna stop funding israel and giving our money to illegal immigrants if we vote for him? He gonna repeal the bidens crime bill, he gonna punish the police nationwide for grievous extra judicial murders and repeal qualified immunity he gonna take away the police funding and federal military surpluses from them? He gonna get a way to give our people reparations???:sas2: no then good luck in this election because the trump boogeyman dont work anymore on us. :camby: