Jermaine Dupri Cites Sexyy Red's Album Sales While Explaining How To Save Hip Hop

straightcash

All Star
Daps
I'm glad someone put this cause I'm old and confused.

This calculation seems dumb
Yeah, I've been saying this for a while. An 'album sale' means something vastly different than what it meant before since no one is really buying anything.

Although charting is theoretically much easier, getting an RIAA plaque that way is much harder because the market for purchases is small now. 500k pure sales for Gold, 1M for Platinum, and 10M for Diamond is outdated IMO.

Most countries' recording associations have cut their number requirements. The RIAA hasn't because the industry loves their bots, public manipulation and Plants. They suppress competition from indies this way.

It's long overdue RIAA certification gets changed to something like:
  • 50k pure sales for Silver (so 100k is 2x Silver, 150k is 3x Silver)
  • 200k for Gold
  • 400k for Platinum (so 800k is 2x Plat, 1.2M is 3x Plat [...] 3.6M is 9x Platinum)
  • 4M for Diamond
The streaming units would then need to be adjusted to have their thresholds be much higher corresponding to pure equivalents. Otherwise, the big artists will be walking around with Multi-Platinums and Diamonds for every album and single.

Last edited:

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everyone is delusional bro, šŸ˜‚.

Musicā€¦isā€¦free!!!!!!!!!!!

Music is free!!!

What part donā€™t these guys/fans/etc get?? Anybody selling any records at all is amazing at this point lol, tf do these dudes be talking about? Napster/piracy was the record businessā€™s end of days. All this streaming and this and that is just the labels way of trying to get some sort of something out of it, convincing fans to pay for something they can easily get for free. This isnā€™t the 90s/early 2000s champ, thatā€™s over.

En Sabah Nur

The First
Daps
Reppin
Survival of the fittest
Everyone is delusional bro, šŸ˜‚.

Musicā€¦isā€¦free!!!!!!!!!!!

Music is free!!!

What part donā€™t these guys/fans/etc get?? Anybody selling any records at all is amazing at this point lol, tf do these dudes be talking about? Napster/piracy was the record businessā€™s end of days. All this streaming and this and that is just the labels way of trying to get some sort of something out of it, convincing fans to pay for something they can easily get for free. This isnā€™t the 90s/early 2000s champ, thatā€™s over.
Last physical album I paid for was Amerie's debut
Never spent a dime on a digital album

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Hip-hop been dead for awhile and music in general has been devalued for awhile. What else is new?

straightcash

All Star
Daps
Trust me when I say this, if the RIAA thresholds get changed (see here) then hip hop and music will change for the better.

You're going to see a boom in indie hip hop. Underground and regional rappers will WANT to sell 50k pure albums just to get that plaque. They're going to change their entire approach to marketing and distribution. They'll be standing next to the majors in the charts and certification lists again.

When the indies make waves, the majors will also sign many of those artists and do distribution deals with many indie labels. Just like back in the day. The quality of the album tracklists will be better too. Besides digital albums, they'll be pushing physical albums. You're going to see a resurgent collectors market for CD and LP records. Booklets, posters, stickers, promotion codes, everything is going to be a factor.

Remember when DVDs started dying out at the end of the 2000s? How many of y'all know they were going strong in German and French-speaking Europe into the mid-2010s, and in Japan and South Korea until the end of the decade? DVDs and CDs are still big in Japan and South Korea.

So what was the difference? The US versions of the DVDs were low quality boxes and cover art and the 'special features' were usually trash or missing. Those European and East Asian versions are artisan in comparison. There's a whole collectors market based around importing DVDs from those regions.

How many of y'all know there's three main Types of cassette tapes and the industry used the worst version even though the 'Type II' was a few cents more expensive but the audio quality was much better? The "industry" (:mjpls::heh:) has been cutting its nose to spite its face forever over short-term greed and control. That's why mainstream hip hop today sucks too.

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Jermaine Dupri has used the release of Sexyy Redā€˜s latest album to make a point about the true current state of Hip Hop and how he believe the genre can be salvaged..

Appearing at United Mastersā€™ SelectCon conference in Atlanta over the weekend, the So So Def legend spoke in conversation withe the distribution platformā€™s CEO Steve Stoute and offered his thoughts on the matter.

ā€œPeople gotta stop lying,ā€ he said. ā€œThatā€™s the beginning of the answerā€¦The industry still tries to make you believe that if you a hot artist and you got a single, that selling albums donā€™t matterā€¦Akademiks posted today about Sexyy Red album only doing 28,000 copies.

ā€œIn the era that I came in the music industry, if you sold 28,000 copies, you didnā€™t get no other chance to walk in the building again. N-ggas was not talking to you if you sold 28,000 records. Itā€™s such a disconnect between people understanding the streaming situation and actually what you looking at.ā€

He added: ā€œI came from an era where the numbers were 80,000 100, 200, 800, 900. This feels like itā€™s going backwards to me.ā€

Donā€™t think JD realizes that sales donā€™t matter anymore.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Albums donā€™t stop selling after the first week.

Her album could very well go platinum once a few singles catch in. Different times. Different era.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Who came up with these Rules? I don't think this math is right... actually, the shyt Don't corelate at all and needs to be treated differently.
That may streams is how much it takes generate enough money to match one album sale so it makes sense.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
These bytches can't sell tickets in several key markets, but the label and media machine wanna keep pushing them like they the hottest thing since sliced bread. (That turns you into an industry plant even if your blow-up was organic)

iMbjwWW.png

How about y'all push them where they're relevant and leave the Tri-State Area the fukk alone? Sexyy Red isn't moving units overseas either. Her only single that was an international chart hit had SZA and Drake on it.
They both had sold out tours last year lol

They actually had to upgrade the venue size for Sexyy Red, which was impressive.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
No they didnā€™t :mjlol:

That album has been No. 1 for like 4-5 weeks in a row :russ:

She just sold another damn near 400K a month after the album dropped.

Yall so out of touch :dead:
Nobody talking about Taylor Swift's album anymore. It's biggest song nearly out of the U.S Spotify top 20.

Meanwhile, Kendrick Lamar is #1 in the U.S. while Taylor Swift's biggest song is with a rapper.

Hip-Hop runs it here.

Only women listen to Taylor, men and women listen to Hip-Hop.

Like I said before, talking about numbers is boring to me, but you're crazy to think Taylor's album had more influence the second Euphoria dropped.

Do you even go to lounges or out at night? When the last time you heard a Taylor Swift song at a poppin spot when people trying to get down?

Last edited: