Jermaine Dupri Cites Sexyy Red's Album Sales While Explaining How To Save Hip Hop

straightcash

All Star
Daps
You can’t judge them based off a random trash festival that’s been dying for years now.
What do you think about my two long posts in the second page?
Folks been awfully quiet. Might have to make a thread on it in a few days or weeks.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Trying to "save" a standard that never benefited you and yours in the first place is a sucka mentality.

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
“Get It Sexyy” had been the top song at Black functions for the 3 months that it has been released. It’s THE song that everybody cant wait to hear.

It may not resonate with White audiences, but she gettin heavy play at every sophisticated ratchet brunch party and the album has many more that will catch on.

First week album sales mean nothing now in the streaming era when it’s so many ways people enjoy music in real life.

Especially when she was still in the Billboard Top 20 with 28k. That means these other albums are doing less than 5k.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
my thing is Jermaine starting something to bring awareness, but is he going to continue??

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Megans last album opened with 50k but she's on a headlining sold out arena tour.

They may not stream her music lol or buy it but they'll buy tickets. I think albums now are just looked at as tour setups because tours is where the money is in music. Seems fewer and fewer younger artists give a shyt about making a great ALBUM. It is what it is.
Megan's last album also went gold, which is better than most artists nowadays.

Can't judge some of these artist by first week numbers anymore, Doja cat sold 8,000k first week with hot pink and that album went double platinum. Mainly because "streets" went viral years after release.

Last edited:
Daps
The problem with this is that when their time is up what are they going to tour off of? It's not necessarily about sales but moreso about music that'll stick with you. These artists aren't going to be young forever man, and there's no 401K in the music industry. The artists that make timeless music always last and will eat forever.
I don't think these artists care about this. I've completely given up on most new rappers (artists in any genre really but this is a thread about rappers so) making albums I feel like I'll be listening to in 3 years let alone in one month. When the dusts settles a lot of these folks gonna have some hall of fame horrible catalogs. It feels like everyone is a singles artist.

He's divisive, and people probably don't fukk with his recent musical turn but Playboi Carti is one of those artists who at least sounds like making a solid album is a priority.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I am in my late 30's and most people my age, day to day interactions 30-38, don't care at all about albums. has no impact for them, so the younger generations probably care even less.

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
I don't think these artists care about this. I've completely given up on most new rappers (artists in any genre really but this is a thread about rappers so) making albums I feel like I'll be listening to in 3 years let alone in one month. When the dusts settles a lot of these folks gonna have some hall of fame horrible catalogs. It feels like everyone is a singles artist.

I’ll go one step further.

The artists don’t care, because the listeners don’t care. The “album” as an entire concept is outdated. I MIGHT listen to a new album once all the way through the first time I listen to it…after that, I’m only listening to my favorite songs as parts of playlist I make…or I’m just playing a song and letting the auto play algorithm do its thing…i remember back in the day how i would buy an album and it wouldn’t leave the whip for weeks on end, that shyt feels like a past life or something now lol…I guarantee the data bears it out too…bet there are a bunch of platinum albums where 2-3 songs account for 90% of the albums total streams

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Artists need to start doing more vinyl bundle type things. Imagine your Sexyy Red Vinyl coming with a digital copy and life-like Sexyy Red sex roll for the JBO bros all for $25-30.