Jemele Hill: It's time for black athletes to leave white colleges

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
If 2 to 3 of the top players ESPN classes decided to go to HBCUs starting next year, how will the $$$ look at these schools? Let's start there.

In 2022, all the top players are putting on the hats of HBCUs, what is CBS and ABC going to do for their games??? Let's start there
Its harder to do that with football due to the sheer numbers of players.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Would you watch a DUKE basketball game with 2 star players vs North Carolina with 2 star players (cacs at that)??

Or a Hampton basketball game with 4 of the top players in the ESPN class of 2020 playing against NC A&T with all 5 starters in the top 25 of the class of 2020?

Simple

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Its harder to do that with football due to the sheer numbers of players.

It's not.

Explain why would it be harder for these top black kids to go play at a HBCU?

This was done before when cacs wouldn't allow blacks to play at PWI schools, so now it's hard?

NYC Rebel

Daps
It's not.

Explain why would it be harder for these top black kids to go play at a HBCU?
Because you need top KIDSSS in a football program, not just a kid. That would work for basketball but a top football player playing among of 2 star players will be hurt by it because he would have to rely on 2 star level talent to succeed because football is more player to player reliant than basketball. One kid alone can change a basketball program. One kid alone cannot change a football program. It has to be a collective going there together.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
HBCUs will get the facilities when the players start going to the HBCUS

That's how the PWI got theirs, the facilities were not there before black players started going to these schools.

Once the black players start going to the HBUCs, the things that these PWIs have, HBCUs will have.

Simple
This.

Honestly, even if HBCU's were to proactively upgrade their facilities to the level of the top programs in the country, I still doubt players would make the switch b/c of the difference in visibility (ESPN, ABC, CBS, Fox are all locked into contracts with these major conferences) and simply because they've been engrained since their youth that making it to these PWI's are the pinnacle of amateur athletics.

So $$$ will not solve this dilemma. It's going to take something called SACRIFICE for there to be change. Our ancestors had it but the concept seems to be lost now as evidence by some of the defeatist posts in this thread. Everybody is out for self instead of the collective.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If 2 to 3 of the top players ESPN classes decided to go to HBCUs starting next year, how will the $$$ look at these schools? Let's start there.

In 2022, all the top players are putting on the hats of HBCUs, what is CBS and ABC going to do for their games??? Let's start there
First, that's a big if, especially with top players as they get the full boat treatment ie house, job, car for mom, personal car, etc.

The TV contracts could change but again, that assumes that a large number(in the millions) of people will want to ditch the teams their family has been supporting for generations to watch the better HBCU teams.

I get this argument from a social aspect, and for basketball it could work, but for football, I don't see it.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Because you need top KIDSSS in a football program, not just a kid. That would work for basketball but a top football player playing among of 2 star players will be hurt by it because he would have to rely on 2 star level talent to succeed because football is more player to player reliant than basketball. One kid alone can change a basketball program. One kid alone cannot change a football program. It has to be a collective going there together.

Breh.

I stated if the black players in the TOP 100 ESPN class for next year, 2021, and 2022, all decided that they would attend a HBCU, what would happened??

The article was about black players leaving white schools to attend HBCU, I am going by what the article is projecting, On signing day these kids are not picking up HBCU hats.

If you get 4 or 5 kids outta that class, then the following year those kids recruit their buddies and add more, then it will change.

As you stated, it will be a collective stance

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
First, that's a big if, especially with top players as they get the full boat treatment ie house, job, car for mom, personal car, etc.

The TV contracts could change but again, that assumes that a large number(in the millions) of people will want to ditch the teams their family has been supporting for generations to watch the better HBCU teams.

I get this argument from a social aspect, and for basketball it could work, but for football, I don't see it.

It's not big, you want it to big, Every kid's mom doesn't get a car and every kid's mom doesn't get a house. Let's stop running with this notion.

The TV contracts will change, What black family supports Notre Dame/DUKE/Colorado/Nevada for years??? They support the teams because "black kids" play on these teams that make these teams who and what they are:

Once these kids stop going to these cac school, nobody will give 2 shyts about a Notre Dame or DUKE

Again ppl watch these teams because of the black players, once you remove the black players, those teams quickly become dead.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
This.

Honestly, even if HBCU's were to proactively upgrade their facilities to the level of the top programs in the country, I still doubt players would make the switch b/c of the difference in visibility (ESPN, ABC, CBS, Fox are all locked into contracts with these major conferences) and simply because they've been engrained since their youth that making it to these PWI's are the pinnacle of amateur athletics.

So $$$ will not solve this dilemma. It's going to take something called SACRIFICE for there to be change. Our ancestors had it but the concept seems to be lost now as evidence by some of the defeatist posts in this thread. Everybody is out for self instead of the collective.
Breh, you literally told me this about UT Austin in another thread.

Even with our recent downturn we are still the richest most powerful athletic program in the country

If I'm a 17 year old kid from South Texas, how are you convincing me to make this sacrifice?

This isn't about being out for self. I'm just trying to figure out how this movement would be financially viable.

NYC Rebel

Daps
Breh.

I stated if the black players in the TOP 100 ESPN class for next year, 2021, and 2022, all decided that they would attend a HBCU, what would happened??

The article was about black players leaving white schools to attend HBCU, I am going by what the article is projecting, On signing day these kids are not picking up HBCU hats.

If you get 4 or 5 kids outta that class, then the following year those kids recruit their buddies and add more, then it will change.

As you stated, it will be a collective stance
Why are you acting like Im fighting against you? :dwillhuh: What is wrong with you dudes? You know what made the Fab 5 unique? It was that you had five freshman who collectively decided to go to one program. And that was a PWI. We are asking kids to collectively be the fab 10 + more if a HBCU program is going to effectively change. THAT is very difficult. Extremely. Especially in football where freshman collectively dont provide immediate results on the football field. Physically, theyre not ready to collectively change a program immediately compared to basketball 5 star players. You would have to promise these kids “that in 3 years our program will.....”

I dont think you are focusing on the gravity of the work that would take.

I flesh shyt out. Im asking you to do the same thing.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It's not big, you want it to big, Every kid's mom doesn't get a car and every kid's mom doesn't get a house. Let's stop running with this notion.

I didn't say every kid. I said the top players.What are you offering that the other schools don't? :usure:

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Why are you acting like Im fighting against you? :dwillhuh: What is wrong with you dudes? You know what made the Fab 5 unique? It was that you had five freshman who collectively decided to go to one program. And that was a PWI. We are asking kids to collectively be the fab 10 + more if a HBCU program is going to effectively change. THAT is very difficult. Extremely. Especially in football where freshman collectively dont provide immediate results on the football field compared to basketball 5 star players.

I dont think you are focusing on the gravity of the work that would take.

Breh,

How many kids did Texas A&M Football team sign this year that were 3-5 stars??

How many kids did Alabama Football team sign this year that were 3-5 stars

Just these 2 programs, how many kids do you think they already have signed for next year's class??