#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Unless HBCUs gon start buying cars, houses and a job then naw
They pull scholarships too. They too be on that bullshyt. Let's not act like FBS don't got more scholarships as well. We need to be honest about this. If all was equal, HBCUs would be the obvious choice

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Unless HBCUs gon start buying cars, houses and a job then naw
And able to create superior athletes, then no.

I entered OU weighing 165 pounds. I was 190 in four months because of the facilities and things they provided me.

I still wonder what was in those lil bag of vitamins they had in a cardboard box as you left the weight room. :patrice:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
how about starting small at a PBI like Georgia State?

and the whole idea of amateurism is broken and bullshyt, HBCUs won't solve that problem. but I guess if you're going to have a system where black males are enriching a university then one that historically caters to black students is as good a place as any.

Last edited:

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The Fab Five as we know it wouldn’t exist in 2019. For that to work at an HBCU you need something that is a dying breed: elite college upperclassmen.

False. If you land 4 or 5 5 star freshmen then no you don’t need elite upperclassmen

Well this thread is extremely pessimistic.

But I'm sure they all think they're just "being real"

This is a black conversation

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
This is wild. Jemele’s set up at the undefeated is no different than how things are set up for black athletes at PWI.....a group of blacks working together but financed by others. Would she leave that safety net for the joke that is now called black media? :childplease:

This isnt 60 years ago when black pubs and colleges could sustain our futures. We are even worse off today. :to:

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I would love to see HBCUs become athletic powerhouses but money is the key.

Honestly, I think NC A&T has the best chance of pulling this off due to location, facilities, current success, and campus. It would take a hell of a recruiting effort (and probably some big private boosters) but it could be a big shift. Power brokers need to get in good with parents and emphasize the big fish in a small pond angle.

Exposure will follow talent; ESPN will televise games if they know there’s 3 potential NBA top 10 players on one squad. Since they’re in North Carolina and a Nike school, they could set up out of conference games with Duke, UNC, etc. just like Davidson did when they had Steph.

Jemele Hill is an agent of white folks, so I don’t like the messenger but I can respect the message.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I dont know.. I think its more money in the white universities and boosters to blackball HBCU's off the break.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
False. If you land 4 or 5 5 star freshmen then no you don’t need elite upperclassmen
If the idea is to build sustainability you can’t do that on the backs of kids who will only do a semester at your school. Any reputable program was built on upperclassmen who showed why that college was a great place to be. Those are the ones who can prove that an HBCU can mold and develop you on the court (and that applies to the coach too because the coach is the star in college. If you put really good young talent with shyt coaching you’ll get a shyt result.)