Jemele Hill: It's time for black athletes to leave white colleges

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Its interesting to read the comments on this

Because on this board people pick and choose which power structure they think is worth bucking against...

As for me personally.....I think college athletes deserve compensation because the NCAA is clearly not an amateur organization.

I dont have a stake in what colleges athletes should attend as long as they get paid for providing a service.

Here is the unsaid thing tho.....many of us and I include myself in this.ARE BIG NAME COLLEGE LOGO WHORES

so we love the DUKES, Alabamas, UK's, NC, Oregons, Clemsons yadda yadda yadda of this world and dont give 2 shyts about smaller colleges, far less black colleges.

And if its one thing that the coli has taught me about sports, AND ESPECIALLY FOOTBALL.....is that pigskin is more important to the majority of people on this board and the general public than any social cause...people will literally throw people under the bus if it means a slight disruption to them football games

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They pull scholarships too. They too be on that bullshyt. Let's not act like FBS don't got more scholarships as well. We need to be honest about this. If all was equal, HBCUs would be the obvious choice

And able to create superior athletes, then no.

I entered OU weighing 165 pounds. I was 190 in four months because of the facilities and things they provided me.

I still wonder what was in those lil bag of vitamins they had in a cardboard box as you left the weight room. :patrice:

Man PWIs are so far ahead HBCUs it's not even funny

It's like comparing a 5 star hotel to a 2 star hotel

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

Exactly. And we are not saying this out of keeping things as they are . I would LOVE for HBCUs to have the same facilities to go along with the other things that only HBCUs can provide black students.

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
I always thought the idea of going to an HBCU for high profile players was easier to do in basketball than football due to structure. Attend an HBCU knowing quite well you can see the national stage at least by tournament time in bball. Football, you can get left in the cold from the National Stage by politics if you attended an HBCU.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
If the idea is to build sustainability you can’t do that on the backs of kids who will only do a semester at your school. Any reputable program was built on upperclassmen who showed why that college was a great place to be. Those are the ones who can prove that an HBCU can mold and develop you on the court (and that applies to the coach too because the coach is the star in college. If you put really good young talent with shyt coaching you’ll get a shyt result.)

I get your point and agree, to an extent, but look at umass, unloved, Memphis, they popped on the map because a class took them deep in the tourney, and got drafted high but those programs have not had long standing success despite, their runs, so even if five freshmen show up at Alabama state, and bounce the next year doesn’t mean asu arrived and can continue on, a trend, and it doesn’t matter if they stay 1 or 4 years, you have to have the facilities coaches budget tv contracts and etc to compete,

Just saying it without personally contributing or other folks contributing it won’t work

Also no one talks about the blatant corruption at hbcus like they not doing underhanded shyt and fukking kids over

NYC Rebel

Daps
I always thought the idea of going to an HBCU for high profile players was easier to do in basketball than football due to structure. Attend an HBCU knowing quite well you can see the national stage at least by tournament time in bball. Football, you can get left in the cold from the National Stage by politics if you attended an HBCU.
You are right. It would be much easier with basketball.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
college needs to be an option after a paid farm system...put in 2-5 years in the farm system and not drafted? then get a scholarship to college, a lot more athletes would take school seriously KNOWING it's their last option at a decent job (which this isn't guaranteed anymore either), plus some people need to mature before going to college. furthermore, no one at the school would give a fukk that their football team is 21-26 as opposed to 18-23, if they have the skill to entertain and hang banners, it's all good :manny:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Exactly. And we are not saying this out of keeping things as they are . I would LOVE for HBCUs to have the same facilities to go along with the other things that only HBCUs can provide black students.

The thing is.........I honestly dont know if HBCU's take sports like basketball and football serious enough to try and make their teams credible far less serious contenders

And before somebody jumps down my back, if they have proof that I am offbase about this then please let me know......In fact I think track and field might be a more serious sport on HBCU's than those two sports I mentioned

SO the first step would be that over the next 10-15 years the black colleges as a whole would have to try to bring up the standards of their teams to become competitive....That means investing in recruitment, facilities, AND DIRTY UNDERHANDED TACTICS....that last part is bolded because they gottta cheat like everybody else if they wanna eat with the big dawgs

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
“I have a hard time saying this,” LeVelle Moton, the head basketball coach at North Carolina Central, an HBCU that has won three consecutive Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference titles, told me. “Black people, I love us, but everyone else understands that we’re the culture, except for us.” Audiences and money “are going to come wherever the product is. We don’t understand that, and we continue to give ourselves away for free.”

The 'where we gonna get better food than this' crowd aint trying to hear it though

NYC Rebel

Daps
When all of your tape is on YouTube anyways the “better exposure” argument starts to look funny in the light.
Maybe you need to see what happens after for sports like football. Better facilities matter.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Yeah if it's going to happen, it's got to be through basketball. I could see something like the Fab 5 happening at a HBCU if all those players are NBA locks. It's harder for me envisioning a football player doing it because he's one of a 80+ roster and the drop off in development is huge.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

From gear to facilities this is true. HBCUs spend so much on parties (homecoming) and bands (which I get because they do make money), athletics gets the crumbs. It’s going to take a huge donation, similar to what Melo did for Syracuse, to bring a facility to the level it needs to be to bring in high level kids.