[Jason Schreier] Sony’s Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest in the PlayStation Empire

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You guys need to stop being so dishonest. I said *fantastic.* A variety of AAA, AA, A and indy titles is what what made the PS4 fantastic. When you take one of your larger studios and throw them into a supplemental role on somebody else's title, you are doing it wrong. It's good that they listened to them and let them work on their own in the end, but before that, they lost people; and that signals a pretty big disconnect between the people at the top and the people making the games. Wasting developers on a Last of Us remake is also a stupid move.

Look at what has happened so far this generation in this industry.

MS consumed an entire publisher which in essence removes a plethora of developers/IPs from your ecosystem that would have otherwise been released.
MS is currently working on a deal to publish Kojima's next title.
MS is still looking to consume more publishers/developers.
Various smaller Japanese developers have now started releasing on Switch+Steam when they traditionally would have released their games on Sony's system.

When you take the above together, they are blows to the Playstation. Retreating to just making blockbusters instead of expanding in other directions is a bad strategy. More remakes is a bad strategy. Their tunnel vision is going to fukk them over.

I still don't understand why you guys argue for less.
:wow:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Every single gen Playstation has introduced new successful IPs. EVERY SINGLE GEN. :snooze:

cats leave and goto other studios every day just like every other job.

don't we get "mad" every time they do a state of play showing other indie games that they are promoting? :usure:

Jason lookin for clickbait. NOPE.

I see Team Larry out here dapping this dumb shyt up and hoping for our downfall. :unimpressed:

if they do a Last Of Us 1 Remake, that is dumb as fukk tho.

there's only 1 company out here who skipped an entire gen making some new exclusives that were worth a damn and kept recycling the same titles.... :mjlol:
The .icrosoft campaign to reduce consumer confidence in Sony. we see what It is.

Sih Sony's not making days gone 2 ?

A game few people gave a shyt about once it dropped because the director was ass and the gameplay was slightly above average. It wasn't compelling. Days gone will not save you dude bro ass nikkas. Wait for a better ip.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
maybe they see all the complaining when they show off indie games and games that are more creative and original than the usual tough-cac-with-a-gun or effeminate-big-eyed-boy-with-a-giant-sword games? the complaints may have consequences :yeshrug:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
maybe they see all the complaining when they show off indie games and games that are more creative and original than the usual tough-cac-with-a-gun or effeminate-big-eyed-boy-with-a-giant-sword games? the complaints may have consequences :yeshrug:
Does everything have to be huge AAA title or small indie game? Many of the third parties have been on this whole game as a service thing moving away from mid-tier titles. My hope it the platform holders keep making mid-tier games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
Does everything have to be huge AAA title or small indie game? Many of the third parties have been on this whole game as a service thing moving away from mid-tier titles. My hope it the platform holders keep making mid-tier games.
i hope not. i plan to buy returnal. i want to see a mid-tier game with an unconventional protagonist succeed. but i cant ignore reality. people bytch about anything that isnt in a certain lane but then latch onto this article as if sony is fukking up somehow.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i hope not. i plan to buy returnal. i want to see a mid-tier game with an unconventional protagonist succeed. but i cant ignore reality. people bytch about anything that isnt in a certain lane but then latch onto this article as if sony is fukking up somehow.
I've already detailed how Sony has been fukking up. You can pretend like they're not but it's pretty clear they have been. It hasn't cost them their position of leadership but the underlying issue with the stuff they've been doing as of late compares well to the type of anti-consumer behavior Nintendo engaged with before their fall when Sony stepped in offering to be the solution to the issues Nintendo poised. This time it's Microsoft stepping in with an open pocketbook willing to listen to whatever pitches people want to make to get a game on their streaming service.

People can say whatever they want about Phil Spencer but they can't take away that he's been amazing as the head of Xbox. He ejected all that anti-consumer behavior and Xbox is obviously the most pro-consumer of the 3 companies by far. That used to be Sony by far.
Some of the more recent Sony missteps.

refusing to allow cross-paltform multiplayer even well after all the other players in the industry got onboard. It is allowed now but it took pressure from the fans to get that done.

Lobotomizing Studio Japan.
Sources: PlayStation is winding down Sony Japan Studio | VGC

Downgrading from Shuhei Yoshida to Hermen Hulst who seemingly directly greenlit this Last of Us remake.

I mean we went from this

To the head of PlayStation openly trolling fans about their desire to have backwards compatibility to older titles from previous generations. Almost acknowledging that he sees no value in the preservation of games on his platforms other than how he can remake them and resell them to the brand's fans.

Sometimes there's value in something a brand does to generate goodwill with fans. Everything doesn't have to be a move to pump money out of fans.

Meet The Developers Who Are About To Lose Their PS Vita Games Forever

This is the Hallmark of a company that cares. Taking devs money for dev kits for a platform that is about to be decommissioned saying nothing while doing it.

Even worse is them pulling all this content off the web store before this announcement. The store on the platforms in question is all sorts of fukked up and they're not gonna fix it. Just a complete attitude of thanks for your purchase fukk you buy our next title. Meanwhile Microsoft has 4 generations of Xbox all playable on physical disc if you have them. They actively upgrade old games to perform better on the new hardware as well.

The fact that people are defending this anti-consumer bullshyt is laughable. This company is Trump shooting a person in Central Park to some of you. You'll defend whatever they do because you support them and can't seperate being a fan of a company from blindly defending all actions of said company.

At least when Nintendo pulled the Wii it happened in stages and they gave people a heads up of over a year. Sony started the process then their intentions leaked to the public and they confirmed the leak after the fact.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The article is pretty much a bunch of nothing when you just look at the facts.

-> VASG's project got cancelled - happens all the time
-> Days Gone sequel didn't get greenlit - again this happens all the time - and it was unsurprising considering how poorly it was received at launch.
-> TLOU Remake and a new Uncharted make sense considering the TV/film projects that are on the way from Sony Pictures.

And that's...it?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The article is pretty much a bunch of nothing when you just look at the facts.

-> VASG's project got cancelled - happens all the time
-> Days Gone sequel didn't get greenlit - again this happens all the time - and it was unsurprising considering how poorly it was received at launch.
-> TLOU Remake and a new Uncharted make sense considering the TV/film projects that are on the way from Sony Pictures.

And that's...it?

No bend is actually getting to make a new game -just not days gone- and VASG actually wanted to work on the TLOU remake which they are still doing with help from naughtydog