[Jason Schreier] Sony’s Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest in the PlayStation Empire

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Days Gone was ass
Y’all got people in here complaining that days gone won’t be back. Apparently it was a “good” game with lots of fans, but a game like that will NEVER be a high scoring metacritic game. Therefore Sony won’t be making games like that anymore.

Just the cookie cutter movie games that get high scores
Exactly.. I don't give a fukk about a score and most gamers don't. Most people look at the score to tell them whether they can blow $60 or not.. If it was back in the day, they'd take their ass in a store, play it a little, and see if they have fun or not...

Days Gone was fukking fun. Go in the thread. People had a good time with it. Especially if you got into later and it was cheap.. Or on PS5 when it was free. No it wasn't a blockbuster or on par with Last of Us. But the shyt was something new, outside of the same cycle of IPs.. And people liked it..

Yea I want to see all 10s from games. But if that means I gotta get 4 games a year, then fukk that. Give me some 7-8s to litter around their too. Maybe the second one will be a 9-10 if you give it a chance to improve and some money behind it...

Microwave generation sucks.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Exactly.. I don't give a fukk about a score and most gamers don't. Most people look at the score to tell them whether they can blow $60 or not.. If it was back in the day, they'd take their ass in a store, play it a little, and see if they have fun or not...

Days Gone was fukking fun. Go in the thread. People had a good time with it. Especially if you got into later and it was cheap.. Or on PS5 when it was free. No it wasn't a blockbuster or on par with Last of Us. But the shyt was something new, outside of the same cycle of IPs.. And people liked it..

Yea I want to see all 10s from games. But if that means I gotta get 4 games a year, then fukk that. Give me some 7-8s to litter around their too. Maybe the second one will be a 9-10 if you give it a chance to improve and some money behind it...

Microwave generation sucks.
Games I have the most fun with usually don’t top the metacritc list.

Stuff like sunset overdrive, prey, dishonored, the last guardian, were some of my favorite games this gen. All games Sony would deem not worthy of existing :francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Stuff like sunset overdrive, prey, dishonored, the last guardian, were some of my favorite games this gen. All games Sony would deem not worthy of existing :francis:

Because sony didn’t make a knack 2 and gravity rush 2?

Also you just named a bunch of games with ratings in the 80’s so your argument doesn’t even make sense. You like games that get reviewed well, stupid ass

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What a gimmick :wow:

These are the niche games with scores he doesn’t care about...a real rebel

89433-F10-CD54-41-ED-96-AE-F7-F8-A21-DCE41.jpg

B296-CE22-38-E5-47-AF-899-B-5-BB2-C35-B688-C.jpg

0-C72-D33-C-E851-4329-B659-651-DB1-A2-D778.jpg

8-DDF12-EC-DC05-4-F8-E-ADEF-6526-E520-D5-D8.jpg

The struggle of having to play games rated the same or better Ghost of Tsushima:francis:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
These are the niche games with scores he doesn’t care about...a real rebel

89433-F10-CD54-41-ED-96-AE-F7-F8-A21-DCE41.jpg

B296-CE22-38-E5-47-AF-899-B-5-BB2-C35-B688-C.jpg

0-C72-D33-C-E851-4329-B659-651-DB1-A2-D778.jpg

8-DDF12-EC-DC05-4-F8-E-ADEF-6526-E520-D5-D8.jpg

The struggle of having to play games rated the same or better Ghost of Tsushima:francis:
No dummy what I said was
Not any of that other shyt you talmbout.

Do better next time buddy :cheers:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
No dummy what I said was

Not any of that other shyt you talmbout.

Do better next time buddy :cheers:

All games Sony would deem not worthy of existing :francis:

So games that score in the 80’s aren’t worthy to sony? Explain, ratchet and clank 2016, HZD, spider-man Miles Morales, Ghost of Tsushima, astrobot....

You’re trying to equate Days Gone a game sitting at 71 on metacritic, that cost an arm and leg to develop and ran almost two years over schedule with successful games, that get support and sequels.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So games that score in the 80’s aren’t worthy to sony? Explain, ratchet and clank 2016, HZD, spider-man Miles Morales, Ghost of Tsushima, astrobot....

You’re trying to equate Days Gone a game sitting at 71 on metacritic, that cost an arm and leg to develop and ran almost two years over schedule with successful games, that get support and sequels.
I’m going by what the people who are making these comments are saying.

Games like the ones I listed won’t get the green light going forward. They literally closed the studio that made one of the games I listed and bought the other one to exclusively make Spiderman games :francis:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’m going by what the people who are making these comments are saying.

Games like the ones I listed won’t get the green light going forward. They literally closed the studio that made one of the games I listed and bought the other one to exclusively make Spiderman games :francis:

You’re just trying to tie anything together to create a narrative, insomniac is also back to doing their beloved mascot series that never scored the highest metacritic score either.

You can’t say the games you tend to love don’t score high on metacritic and than list dishonored:skip:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Apparently Dishonored is just like Days Gone now. :yeshrug:

Dishonored wasn't buggy though, it released fine. shyt legit brought that feeling of playing a stealth game back. So many different ways you can beat the game. :wow:

Even in the case of Days Gone bro, the game is legit fun now that the bugs have been fixed. The potential is there the gameplay is great. Days Gone would make a FANTASTIC 4 player co-op game. FF7R would make a great 3 player co-operative game as well if they just tweaked the encounters just a little bit. Days Gone is nowhere close to a lost cause as far as the IP goes.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You’re just trying to tie anything together to create a narrative, insomniac is also back to doing their beloved mascot series that never scored the highest metacritic score either.

You can’t say the games you tend to love don’t score high on metacritic and than list dishonored:skip:
Sony stans :mjlol:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Sony’s Obsession With Blockbusters Is Stirring Unrest Within PlayStation Empire

Deflated, the small group’s leadership has largely disbanded, according to interviews with eight people familiar with the operation. Many, including Mumbauer, have left the company entirely. Mumbauer declined to comment and others asked not to be named discussing private information. A representative for Sony declined to comment or provide interviews.

The team’s failure highlights the complex hierarchy of video game development and in particular, Sony’s conservative approach to making games for the PlayStation 5. The Japanese conglomerate owns about a dozen studios across the world as part of its PlayStation Studios label, but in recent years it has prioritized games made by its most successful developers. Studios such as Santa Monica, California-based Naughty Dog and Amsterdam-based Guerrilla Games spend tens of millions of dollars to make games with the expectation that the investments will pay off exponentially. And they usually do. Hits including 2018’s God of War and 2020’s The Last of Us Part II are exclusive to PlayStation consoles, helping Sony sell some 114 million of the PS4. Rival Microsoft Corp. has taken the opposite approach, relying on a wide array of studios to feed its Netflix-like subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, which allows users to pay a monthly fee for unlimited access to a variety of games.

Sony’s focus on exclusive blockbusters has come at the expense of niche teams and studios within the PlayStation organization, leading to high turnover and less choice for players. Last week, Sony reorganized a development office in Japan, resulting in mass departures of people who worked on less well-known but acclaimed games such as Gravity Rush and Everybody's Golf. The company has informed developers that it no longer wants to produce smaller games that are only successful in Japan, Bloomberg has reported.

This fixation on teams that churn out hits is creating unrest across Sony's portfolio of game studios. Oregon-based Sony Bend, best known for the 2019 open-world action game Days Gone, tried unsuccessfully to pitch a sequel that year, according to people familiar with the proposal. Although the first game had been profitable, its development had been lengthy and critical reception was mixed, so a Days Gone 2 wasn’t seen as a viable option.

Instead, one team at the studio was assigned to help Naughty Dog with a multiplayer game while a second group was assigned to work on a new Uncharted game with supervision from Naughty Dog. Some staff, including top leads, were unhappy with this arrangement and left. Bend's developers feared they might be absorbed into Naughty Dog, and the studio’s leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project. They got their wish last month and are now working on a new game of their own.

Console wars aside, this makes me said. Every game doesn't have to be AAA. I own both Gravity Rush games. I own the golf games.[/QUOTE]
I missed this thread but let me just say that this is some great piece of investigative journalism