[Jason Schreier] Sony’s Obsession with Blockbusters is Stirring Unrest in the PlayStation Empire

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jason Schrieir has been going after sony studios for a couple years already. Probably just the type of investigative journalism that gets the most clicks. He’s basically known only for his hit pieces these days

I don't know anything about him having a grudge against Sony, but Schreier does have a rep for being petty. Even people who weren't fukking with CDPR were a little surprised by how much he wasn't fukking with them around the Cyberpunk launch.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Jason Shciere:

Today it is with a heavy heart that i announce Bend studio is working on a new IP, that Naughty dog has multiple games in the works, including factions the multiplayer game everyone is dying for, and that sony will continue putting large sums of money into AAA gaming. Let us take this moment to reminisce over the PS4 when sony focused on AAA experiences, had Bend create a new IP, and delivered multiple Naught dog projects.:mjcry:
:laff:

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
"yeah nobody cares about sequels to blockbuster hits on a brand new generation so let's discard that"

"nobody cares about this 8+million seller racing game"

"Nobody cares about media molecule but I will ignore a game that's not AAA so I can continue saying Sony only makes movie games"

Was that all? :dead:

Where did I say nobody cares about Ghosts 2 or Spiderman 2? :ohhh:

I said nobody cares about GT or Media Molecule, and that's correct :umad:

Sony stans are reduced to putting words in peoples mouthes, the desperation to cape for the falling empire :wow: :mjcry:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I rode for the 360 back when I had one. To me, it had the better lineup at the time because it was varied. MS clearly realized that by scooping up these studios. Hopefully they don't put Obsidian to work on some multiplayer shyt
Bro the 360 was flames, it’s literally the reason I chose the X one at launch

...:stopitslime:

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
You’ve still spent 240 dollars in those two years JUST for the service and you’re still buying DLC and MTX on top of it. YOu’re also still buying non-gamepass games.

I hardly ever DLC and mtx though :shaq:

W/ the combo of GP; EA Play, and soon to be Uplay, I hardly have to buy new games :wow:

Of the games I want for this year, I only gotta buy 3 of them(Atomic Heart, Back 4 Blood, RE8), and two of them might drop day 1 in GP(B4B RE8) :umad:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Where did I say nobody cares about Ghosts 2 or Spiderman 2? :ohhh:

I said nobody cares about GT or Media Molecule, and that's correct :umad:

Sony stans are reduced to putting words in peoples mouthes, the desperation to cape for the falling empire :wow: :mjcry:
My bad, it seemed like you were saying nobody cares for the first few titles you mentioned.
The rest though obviously were successful.

GT sport allegedly sold over 8 million units.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Also, for a lot of us this is good news for bend. I think Bend is a talented studio but Days Gone wasn’t a very good game. I’ve literally tried playing 3 different times now and it’s just not compelling to me at all... The fact that sony got them on a new IP instead is music to my ears.

If I’m thinking like the head of sony, it’s like, why do i want two 1st party zombie games, with one of them greatly paling in comparison to our big flagship title? I even though this before Days gone came out, i was like why are they releasing another zombie game in the PNW when TLOU2 is around the corner?

Days Gone is perfectly fine existing as a stand alone experience not everything needs to be a franchise.

And hearing that they are remaking last of us, confirms that their movies/shows and games are gonna coincide in releases more often. Which gives me more hope for a new Twisted Metal now that the tv show is in production

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Also, for a lot of us this is good news for bend. I think Bend is a talented studio but Days Gone wasn’t a very good game. I’ve literally tried playing 3 different times now and it’s just not compelling to me at all... The fact that sony got them on a new IP instead is music to my ears.

If I’m thinking like the head of sony, it’s like, why do i want two 1st party zombie games, with one of them greatly paling in comparison to our big flagship title? I even though this before Days gone came out, i was like why are they releasing another zombie game in the PNW when TLOU2 is around the corner?

Days Gone is perfectly fine existing as a stand alone experience not everything needs to be a franchise.
Days Gone takes a few hours to crack, but those characters got to me after a while....Deek, Boozer, Riki, Iron Mike. That was a dope game and it plays gorgeous on PS5

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
AAA 1st party gaming and Japanese AAA is literally what made the PS4 successful. You think Gravity rush 2 and Last Guardian was keeping the lights on at SIE?
You guys need to stop being so dishonest. I said *fantastic.* A variety of AAA, AA, A and indy titles is what what made the PS4 fantastic. When you take one of your larger studios and throw them into a supplemental role on somebody else's title, you are doing it wrong. It's good that they listened to them and let them work on their own in the end, but before that, they lost people; and that signals a pretty big disconnect between the people at the top and the people making the games. Wasting developers on a Last of Us remake is also a stupid move.

Look at what has happened so far this generation in this industry.

MS consumed an entire publisher which in essence removes a plethora of developers/IPs from your ecosystem that would have otherwise been released.
MS is currently working on a deal to publish Kojima's next title.
MS is still looking to consume more publishers/developers.
Various smaller Japanese developers have now started releasing on Switch+Steam when they traditionally would have released their games on Sony's system.

When you take the above together, they are blows to the Playstation. Retreating to just making blockbusters instead of expanding in other directions is a bad strategy. More remakes is a bad strategy. Their tunnel vision is going to fukk them over.

I still don't understand why you guys argue for less.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Days Gone takes a few hours to crack, but those characters got to me after a while....Deek, Boozer, Riki, Iron Mike. That was a dope game and it plays gorgeous on PS5

The two things i constantly hear about Days Gone is that it takes a few hours to get into (i think I’m about 5-6 hours in) and that it goes on for too long.

Two things I think Bend Studios can fix in their next game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
MS consumed an entire publisher which in essence removes a plethora of developers/IPs from your ecosystem that would have otherwise been released.

And the same thing might very well happen at bethesda that happened with Bend. A lot of those studios are gonna be put into support roles and a lot of people are gonna get disgruntled because they can’t all release games on top of each other.

MS is currently working on a deal to publish Kojima's next title.

That doesn’t mean thats the only game Kojima even working on if it even comes to fruition. Kojima studios claims to have multiple games in the works the popular opinion is MS is publishing Kojima’s episodic cloud based game. I mean, cool but it’s not gonna be a system seller.

MS is still looking to consume more publishers/developers.

Consuming publishers isn’t gonna equal better games either.

Various smaller Japanese developers have now started releasing on Switch+Steam when they traditionally would have released their games on Sony's system.

And a lot of japanese developers still only release on PlayStation. 13 sentinels was probably the best japanese game released last year.