Jamaicans tell the truth on how Black Americans gave them rhyming, and two turntables

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If this ain't the most true post.

The Coli really hates on any black immigrants and it's like.... Is this supposed to help black people at all? lol

And yeah.. never been a Jamaican claiming Hip Hop was made there lol, when I speak to fresh off the boat Jamaicans they hardly understand the dialect in rap tbh...
Oh they understand it very well.
Just like early Toronto migrants understood there was a group of black people with an established culture, and they made sure to "beef patty and callalloo it up" at high volume to get first priority over them.

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
dude, this is from jamaica's main newspaper/site:deadrose:

Carolyn Cooper | Reclaiming the Jamaican roots of hip hop
word.

But that's one article also centered around the Kool Herc misunderstanding that's been spoken about in here already. So fair enough, it's BEEN SAID... but I meant more speaking to your average Jamaican/majority of Jamaicans... they're not going to share this same thought....

No need for "dead rose" ... Y'all are too quick to wanna prove points for ego. If you read between the lines originally I wouldn't have had to further explain what I meant. :yeshrug:

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Oh they understand it very well.
Just like early Toronto migrants understood there was a group of black people with an established culture, and they made sure to "beef patty and callalloo it up" at high volume to get first priority over them.

My wife is Jamaican and I've been. They not catching no Lil Baby bars and a lot of things coming out of upcoming hip hop... It's just facts.. Different accents and slangs etc

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's a false post from a Kenyan Canadian that has only lived in Kenya and Canada
Nobody hates on black immigrants and it's like, are y'all coming to help black people or your bullshyt tribes/ethnic groups that you put over being black until it's convenient? Go home. Fly your flag at home. SURVIVE as a returnee. Maintain PROPERTY as a returnee.
:usure::patrice::sas2:

Carolyn Cooper | Reclaiming the Jamaican roots of hip hop <<< lies from Jamaica's main news source
https://www.rockthebells.com/blogs/articles/jamaican-soundsystem-culture-history <<< more lies from a major music festival website
Hip hop is born at a birthday party in the Bronx <<<< lies on history.com, a major HISTORY website
I actually have no idea what you're going on about or why you're posting all these articles to me tbh lol

I came in here just to speak the FACT that the majority of jamaican's don't share this view of hiphop..... they just don't even care about it enough to have any opinion on it's origins...

I think you have the wrong guy here

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

My wife is Jamaican and I've been. They not catching no Lil Baby bars and a lot of things coming out of upcoming hip hop... It's just facts.. Different accents and slangs etc
I can't tell, they paying for him to be on collabs and ADOS don't listen to dancehall like that.
I guess 350k views is worth it on a little island. nikkas paid a dollar a view for that collab with an AMERICAN ARTIST.

@IllmaticDelta LAWD

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
word.

But that's one article also centered around the Kool Herc misunderstanding that's been spoken about in here already. So fair enough, it's BEEN SAID...

it's not a misunderstanding to Jamaicans though; to them, it's the truth:beli:

but I meant more speaking to your average Jamaican/majority of Jamaicans... they're not going to share this same thought....

Jamaicans that are into music culture would be the ones making the claim; obviously, Earl Graves types aren't involved in this:pachaha:

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I actually have no idea what you're going on about or why you're posting all these articles to me tbh lol

I came in here just to speak the FACT that the majority of jamaican's don't share this view of hiphop..... they just don't even care about it enough to have any opinion on it's origins...

I think you have the wrong guy here
I have the right guy here, this has 12 million views and it features Lil Mosey and Lil Tjay
ADOS don't know or care who tf a RVSSIAN is
His jamaican label and his jamaican self, and his jamaican fanbase sure knew enough to PAY FOR THOSE FEATURES TOO.

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Jamaicans sure know who Swae Lee and Young Thug are (8.2 million views)
:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ:

Buying all the features wow. I thought they didn't know rap, I thought they couldn't understand the accent like that
:ohhh:

lil baby, young thug, lil mosey, lil tjay, and swae lee are all similar, too.

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
it's not a misunderstanding to Jamaicans though; to them, it's the truth:beli:

Jamaicans that are into music culture would be the ones making the claim; obviously, Earl Graves types aren't involved in this:pachaha:
I'm a person who likes to avoid blanket statements... sorry

Jamaicans that are into music ? That's such a wide and varied demographic that I cannot agree that every Jamaican that listens to music believe Hip Hop came from Jamaica... it's just not true bro. Sorry. It's ok to agree with someone else online.

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Jamaicans sure know who Swae Lee and Young Thug are (8.2 million views)
:russ::russ::russ::russ::russ:

Buying all the features wow. I thought they didn't know rap, I thought they couldn't understand the accent like that
:ohhh:

lil baby, young thug, lil mosey, lil tjay, and swae lee are all similar, too.

Jamaican artists who wanna make it out of the small island and increase their reach do a lot of collabs with artists overseas. That's true. Did I argue that? Stay on topic. They want to crossover into larger markets. Why wouldn't they? And also, the YOUNGER generation is much more likely to be into hip hop a ton more than the rest of the population. That's a fact. There is a shift occurring. But again, y'all can't help but make inaccurate blanket statements about entire demographics.

Another thing, since you lack reading comprehension and would like to place words into my mouth to further this obsession with being correct over the internet here is what I said:

Jamaicans for the most part, don't bump hip hop the way you're trying to make it seem. (You and your friend in here didn't point out any specific demographic, just Jamaicans as a whole... have y'all ever stepped foot on the island??????)
And second statement I made was simply about understanding accents completely which takes time for anyone new to any particular one... that's common sense.

audemarzz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Jamaican artists who wanna make it out of the small island and increase their reach do a lot of collabs with artists overseas. That's true. Did I argue that? Stay on topic. They want to crossover into larger markets. Why wouldn't they? And also, the YOUNGER generation is much more likely to be into hip hop a ton more than the rest of the population. That's a fact. There is a shift occurring. But again, y'all can't help but make inaccurate blanket statements about entire demographics.

Another thing, since you lack reading comprehension and would like to place words into my mouth to further this obsession with being correct over the internet here is what I said:

Jamaicans for the most part, don't bump hip hop the way you're trying to make it seem. (You and your friend in here didn't point out any specific demographic, just Jamaicans as a whole... have y'all ever stepped foot on the island??????)
And second statement I made was simply about understanding accents completely which takes time for anyone new to any particular one... that's common sense.
They pretty much do and their whole "toasting culture" came from being able to understand our accents. They're still a British colony, they still OVERconsume US media, and dancehall is still an offshoot of AA music.
Those views did NOT come from us.
They came from the Jamaican diaspora playing those songs over and over again at their own events.
Guess what? Nobody knows who the fukk a RVSSIAN or SKILLIS is, "styll", "seen"?

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They pretty much do and their whole "toasting culture" came from being able to understand our accents. They're still a British colony, they still OVERconsume US media, and dancehall is still an offshoot of AA music.
Those views did NOT come from us.
They came from the Jamaican diaspora playing those songs over and over again at their own events.
Guess what? Nobody knows who the fukk a RVSSIAN or SKILLIS is, "styll", "seen"?
What views are you speaking on that didn't come from us? Confused here bro.

I don't listen to either artist.. I think I've been misunderstood here for the most part. I don't think the origins of Hip Hop can be credited to the island so I really don't see your gripe with what I said since you didn't address my last message in this one anyhow.

Anyway, y'all cool with me. Take care.

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
I'd understand why people who aren't fans of either dancehall and hip hop would be tricked into thinking deejaying influenced rapping and not the other way around especially when they start listening to 80s dancehall delivery and flow and compare it to rapping at that same time period. Deejaying delivery was greater than rap delivery up to the early to mid 90s if you follow the chronology. Now, the sound of dancehall, that's strictly jamaican, and you can't argue about hip hop's musical influence from disco which is strictly american without any outside influence whatsoever.

serial

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn I low-key get confused every time I see thread like this. As a Jamaican I always saw Black Americans and Jamaicans/Africans as part of the same family tree. Seems like there is a lot more separation than I thought.